The Storm King 167 members · 136 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3
A Man Undercover
Group Admin

In the wake of my latest post, I decided to go ahead and show you all what the second animated character I’ve looked to in preparation for working with the Storm King has been.

That character...being this guy right here:

For those who don’t know, Kai was the main antagonist of the third Kung Fu Panda movie, and he was played by J.K. Simmons, whom many of you guys probably know best for his work as J. Jonah Jameson in the Spider-Man films directed by Sam Raimi, as well as his cameo in the epilogue of “Spider-Man: Far From Home”.

The reason Kai is among my inspirations is because both he and the Storm King, just like Hades, are quite the laidback individuals. Both of them also have a dark sense of humor, and they take pleasure in causing destruction, death, and misery wherever they go. As I think about it more, both the Storm King and Kai are seekers of power and desire to be the most mighty individuals of all-time.

Any thoughts on this?

To be fair, Kai is actually a lot more similar to Tirek than to the Storm King.

I mean, let's recap: a long time ago he had a brother (in arms) who he was very close to, and together they journeyed to a peaceful place where there were people who harnessed a special kind of power. While the 'brother' learned to embrace the ways of those peaceful people, the other instead wanted to take that power for himself, refusing to listen to reason and forced his 'brother' to seal him away for hundreds of years. Eventually though, he managed to escape, and was deeply resentful over his 'brother's' betrayal as he defeated everyone in his path, stealing their power to make himself more powerful himself...until eventually, only the main protagonist remains, and would have been defeated to if not for the power of friendship at the end awakening a power that is enough to defeat him.

I mean, replace Kai with Tirek, Oogway with Scorpan, Po with Twilight and its basically the same story.

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

Maybe. But, Tirek doesn’t entirely share the same personality as Kai. Kai is more laidback while Tirek is more uptight and proper. At least, that’s how I interpreted Tirek.

Aside from that, I always found Tirek to be more like Scar (The Lion King) personality-wise.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3