Hybrids and Half Breeds 160 members · 145 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14

I have seen every MLP episode, short, and movie from every gen, and I have read a lot of the from every gen comics. Not all that is true but most, and that brings to my talking a point. That there are some equines that have never made into MLP canon, and I feel that is a shame. So that why I'm going to bring these over look equine to light for the fan writers in the hope that at least the fans talk about what it would be like to see these equine right beside the ponies. Now before I list these I want to make it clear I'm only listing common names of these species and only those that names are one word. This is because Hasbro will never scientific names and because while there are many different species zebra lets face facts Hasbro will never going details like that.

Tarpan: Equus ferus ferus also known as Eurasian Wild Horse is an sadly extinct specie of will wild horse. Now it the real world tarpans when it came to looks won't that different from domesticate horse and if they do become canon they probably won't look that different from the large horses like Trouble Shoes. This may seem like a big reason why they wouldn't become canon since they would just be big earth ponies, that is until you realize something. In G1 they would often so full sizes horses that won't the same things as ponies, some they would even so normal animals horses. G4 have done this a little so showings a lot bigger the normal ponies but aren't alicorns. That where the tarpans can come in, they can be the full size normal horse race without magical abilities or cutie marks.

Quagga: Equus quagga quagga is a now extinct specie best know for the fact it didn't look like most zebra species. Now because they look different from other zebra they could easily just be added in as another race of equine no problem.

Onager: Equus hemionus also known as hemione or Asiatic Wild Ass is specie closely related to donkeys. They do look different enough that even with cartoon looks added on they can be different enough in looks from donkeys to be their own race. Now what is need about onagers is that they are one of the fastest known land mammal species so there is some type of magic ability they could be giving right there. Increase their speed and make them more less ground Rainbow Dash in ability.

Kiang: Equus kiang the biggest of the species in the subgenus Asinus or asses if you will. It is also widely they were at least one of inspiration for the myth of the unicorn. So there is something right there in giving some kind of spell casting ability, now they do look a bit like the onager so that could be a problem in design.

Zebroids of all kinds: As you may or may not know all equine can interbreed with each to make hybrids. Mow most of these hybrids are called mules, unless one parent is a zebra. Then they are giving a name base on what their parents are but all collectedly zebroids. Now zebras get a long just fine with all equine species so if you leave a zebra with a non-zebra equine of the different you are going to get one of these sooner or later.

Viper Pit
Group Admin

you have intrigued me sire

They aren't equines and this is only for equines

Viper Pit
Group Admin

What about miniature horses. Which apparently are a different species then to ponies. Ponies are smaller–under 14.2 hands–and usually stockier than horses. Ponies also often have thicker coats, manes, and tails than horses. Miniature Horses, on the other hand, are currently bred to resemble a full-sized horse on a smaller scale

Miniature horses aren't a different specie then ponies. Ponies and horses are just a different breed classes, like toy breed dogs and working breed dogs. Miniatures horses themselves are view as subclass of the horse class but there are overlap with the pony class. For example Shetland ponies are sometimes class as a miniature horse breed but there is debate over this. In fact some believe miniature horses should reclassification as pony subclass.

Breeds, breed classes, and breed subclasses aren't different specie or even different subspecies. Some people like to list them as phenoypes but some don't believe these should count as that as breeds are the results of domesticated not natural selection.

Viper Pit
Group Admin

Well the more you know then.

Funny fact, the pony tribes as see in G4 actually do follow some of the biological laws of phenotypes, even Twilight becoming an alicorn has some biological base to it and does in fact make sense with how phenotypes work in some species. True there are fantasy elements added in, but it doesn't change fact that it does sense for unicorns, earth ponies, pegasi, and alicorns to be one specie as do follow enough biological laws to count phenotypes of one specie .

Crystal ponies on the other hand are another story, we seen earth crystal ponies and even crystal pegasi on the show while comics have shown crystal unicorns. Base on what we have seen of the crystals they are in fact different enough to be their own subspecie of pony

Viper Pit
Group Admin

Intresting that does make me wonder about satle Arabians

We don't know enough about them to make a guess. We never seen it Saddle Arabian in the show or the comics and we only seen three equine from there. One of which was a unusually large blue unicorn stallion who we never saw if he had a cutie mark thanks to his clothes, and two that look like earth ponies but didn't have cutie marks. That is not enough to go on really but if they don't have marks but do have the tribes they could be a closely related specie to the ponies. But again we just haven't seen enough to make any guess like that as there could be other reasons for the different size then them being a different specie or subspecie

Viper Pit
Group Admin

Well there was that road trip episode with trixie and starlight and they went there and there was one of them that kept trying to trade wagons with trixie

They never got there, they were going there but never reach it. They only when as far as the village of Somnambula

Viper Pit
Group Admin

huh alright then

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14