World Building 370 members · 404 stories
Comments ( 23 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 23

I was just wondering what you all might think about a story taking place after an apocalypse where everyone has rebuild society and it takes place on a tropical island?

Also are there any stories like this already on FiMFiction? :raritywink:

But even the idea of a tropical post-apocalyptic world would be interesting. We have so many stories where the apocalypse happens and the world is a barren wasteland. What if we tried changing it up a bit? :derpyderp1:

That would be unique.

Even tho there is a game call Dead Island 2 that talks about a similar concept, a setting based in an tropical-post-apocalyptic sounds like a unique idea. Maybe something similar to the game Horizon Zero Dawn?

I also brought up Dead Island when this question was asked in a different setting.

Try to consider an alternative to just being in the setting; consider being thrust into both settings at once: Cthulu rises from the depths and smashes your boat, and you end up on an island and have to rebuild society there, or some semblance thereof.

It doesn't have to be the same. Add in a bit of creativity. Plenty of apocalypses to choose from.

7940883 Yeah, I didn't think about Dead Island, though largely because my brain puts zombies and post-apocalypses in two separate boxes for some reason. :twilightsheepish:

To be fair, when you said "post-apocalypse," my brain also immediately went to "Post-nuclear apocalypse," and not "Post-zombie apocalypse." I blame Three Dog. Then again, feral ghouls.

I am encouraging other apocalypses to show up. Go all "2012 magnetic shift" so that the yaks are the ones dealing with it as the equator becomes polar and the poles become equatorial. Have a meteor hit Equestria and only those underwater were able to survive the sudden extreme heat that melted the ice caps and flooded the world so now SCUBA divers are on top of the mountains; the only islands remaining. Or the aforementioned zombies and Cthulu.

My gods, what about the seaponies? The Aquestrians? Fallout, but with a thousand percent more mirelurk...

Lots of potential...

7941053 One apocalypse type that I'm kind of playing around with is something kind of like, what if World War 3 wasn't a nuclear war but a biological war? Like imagine what if America, Russia and China were like Umbrella/Vault-Tec and unleased bio weapons against one another, forcing most of humanity into underground shelters. Then as time went on those bio-weapons (many of which were derived from humans) kind of calmed down and started developing their own societies and developing communities and even religious groups with the few pockets of humanity remained on the surface.

But even the idea of a tropical post-apocalyptic world would be interesting. We have so many stories where the apocalypse happens and the world is a barren wasteland. What if we tried changing it up a bit?

Well, for a tropical setting I can think of a few colonies that would qualify in my story. For the record, it's a Ponies After People story, so it takes place on Earth where all humans have disappeared and slowly reappear, but turned into species from Equestria.

I'll put them in spoilers since that happens fairly late into the story, but here are a few examples:

Havana - Cuba: One of the largest colonies at the time in the setting (approx. 200, mostly hippogriffs and parrots) used as a trade and supply hub for local shipping lanes. With the Soviet arsenal they had, they rearmed the fort guarding the harbor with heavy guns and a chainlink net to defend against sea monsters. Beyond that, they have a canning factory to export produce from their farming commune further inland. Cuba, though magic made plants grow that much faster, has very few monsters inland, but is often subjected to sea monster attacks, hence the fort.

Coatzacoalcos - Mexico: Smaller than Cuba, and instead of being hippogriffs and parrots, they turned into Diamond Dogs and Abyssinians. It's the main refinery used to resupply the ships of the setting, and in addition to that the D-Dogs have dug deep warrens under a farming community a safe distance from the community. That colony signed a truce with a more radical groups of survivors further north who venerate old Aztec divinities.

Roseau - Dominica: Very small community that radicalized and went tribal/anti-technology after a typhoon destroyed rebuilding efforts in the capital of Roseau. They moved further up in the mountains and have turned hostile towards outsiders since then. They're mostly made up of hippogriffs and parrots. As is the case with Cuba: very few monsters, but vastly increased plant growth.

Belem - Brazil: Hippogriffs and parrots again, but in this case it's a community that centered around one parrot that made a pact with an Amazon divinity and then started calling himself Pedro III, new Emperor of Brazil. As a colony, they focus on research and exporting potions. In the setting, the return of magic bumped up the Amazon's growth rate to truly ludicrous levels, to the point where there are giant trees gnawing up the skyscrapers downtown and pulling out metals from the soil to support themselves. Add to that the large amount of magical plants and hordes of monsters roaming the jungle, and it's probably the most dangerous colony in the setting.

And lastly:

Sao-Paulo / Santos - Brazil: That community looked promising and was making contact with the wider world... up until a raid on the colony cut them off from all contacts and scattered the survivors into the jungle. The population was made up of hippogriffs and parrots (again, they're well suited for tropical settings after all), as well as some Argentinian refugees (centaurs, Abyssinians, and some ponies) fleeing demonic cultists from the south.

So if it's inspiration you were looking for, I hope that helps.

Or the aforementioned zombies and Cthulu.

how about the Deep Ones

Have a meteor hit Equestria and only those underwater were able to survive the sudden extreme heat that melted the ice caps and flooded the world so now SCUBA divers are on top of the mountains; the only islands remaining. Or the aforementioned zombies and Cthulu.

My gods, what about the seaponies? The Aquestrians? Fallout, but with a thousand percent more mirelurk...

Lots of potential...

Indeed, there is a part of me that loves the idea (and also dreads it) of going out on your boat to fish and being able to look down and see the tops of skyscrapers covered in coral deep down below. :rainbowderp:

With farmlands disappearing beneath the waves, how does this affect food production? Do ponies eat more sea-based plants (and if so, do they have a way to cultivate them)? Do some ponies adapt to be more carnivorous (horses have been known to actually eat meat on rare occasions) and perhaps more likely to eat fish?

How would seaponies be affected by this? Technically their territory has been expanded by this, so does this actually aid them or does some of the deeper more fearsome sea creatures become more active making it actually more dangerous for seaponies in the depths?

Just some thoughts I had.

7941257 It is possible that ponies in a world that is covered in water would be more likely to worship seaponies and monsters below the waves.

Yes, and want to have kids with them so that their line can go on

With farmlands disappearing beneath the waves, how does this affect food production? Do ponies eat more sea-based plants (and if so, do they have a way to cultivate them)? Do some ponies adapt to be more carnivorous (horses have been known to actually eat meat on rare occasions) and perhaps more likely to eat fish?

Pony eat Meat

One Piece's WorldBuilding

Island Civilisations!

Worldbuilding: Mountains (Volcano)

Do some ponies adapt to be more carnivorous (horses have been known to actually eat meat on rare occasions) and perhaps more likely to eat fish?

Pinkie in particular is privy to the concept of how ketchup is useful in a hotdog-eating contest. Which means she knows what a hotdog-eating contest is. Which means she's aware of what a hotdog is, and that it is to be eaten.

And Applejack raises pigs on her farmcows for milk and sheep for milk and wool, fine, but I doubt those pigs are truffle hunters. Otherwise, where's that side hustle?

No, Equestrians are familiar with meat already. They may shy away from it, but they know what it is and what it's for.

Yes, and want to have kids with them so that their line can go on.

Ponies want to have kids with the undersea plants, or with the fish? You didn't really specify very well, there...

I mean, hey, no kink-shaming. I've edited for Timberwolf stories, before.

Timberwolves... Kelp-based creatures to take their place? We can do something fun with that, I should think. Or maybe coral snakes, made from actual coral. That's a good one. Let's hold onto that idea.

Pony eat Meat

Ponies want to have kids with the undersea plants, or with the fish? You didn't really specify very well, there...

with the the Deep Ones or the Sea-ponies

No, Equestrians are familiar with meat already. They may shy away from it, but they know what it is and what it's for.

Well, that's kind of what I was alluding to, was might their culture adapt to be more excepting of eating meat, fish in particular.

Thinking about this, kind of reminds me of the game, Dredge.

Funny enough, I'm also making a WIP story based off the game Horizon Dawn. Though I'm having a hard time of either doing the Equestria Girls universe being effected or just out earth being effected

7944123 Aside from there being dinosaur robots I really don't know enough of Horizon Dawn (assuming its the game I think it is) to offer any feedback on that. :twilightsheepish:

Yeee, it is a really popular video game that spawns in a sequel, a prequel (a bit of a short one I think), DLCs, and a third sequel is in the works:
Heres the gameplay if you want to watch it (I would also skip some of the quest as well):
First game:

2nd game:

Is there a way to show the thumbnails of the videos without just the links?

7944128 There's an option next to the picture option that resembles a camera on a piece of paper. It will have a pop up that you can post the links into.

Yeah, I don't have a playstation so I never really looked into them.

Thank you for the tip ^^

gakposter
Group Admin

I’m always down for the post apocalypse. I think a few of starscribe’s Last Pony on Earth series cover the tropics

7944196 I'll have to give that a look.

---

There is a part of me that likes the idea of doing a tropical post-apocalyptic story that takes some elements from both Polynesian (as well as Hawaiian) and Central American culture and incorporating it into an island community that has bio-engineered humanoids as well.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 23