World Building 370 members · 412 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12

How do you think bacteria act in a land of magic?

5961957 They have magical quorum sensing :raritywink:

5961963 I just wonder, is it a random question or something you need for a story? :scootangel: Honestly I think they can function similarly to those found in our world and maybe a few uncommon ones display certain magic-based resistance and other abilities.

I feel its something that writers would not normally think about and I would like to see what others would say about effects of a extra natural energy source such as magic.

If bacteria had their own magic, could a pony use them as a magical battery?

5961986 Have you ever heard of bioreactors using cyanobacteria or algae? :raritywink:

gakposter
Group Admin

Oh! I've only occasionally thought of bacteria/viruses, but I can worldbuild a bit for you :derpytongue2:

E. Coli, the Flu, and Avian Flu all exist in Equestria. Most others have either gone extinct due to pony medical practices or don't exist at all. There are also several magical bacteria and viruses. Here are some I made up.
-Banorista Coli is an offshoot of the E. Coli virus strain and has a defense against vaccines. It makes itself look different to any white blood cells it comes across, thereby rendering vaccines moot because they can't figure out whether they should kill it.
-Malaria is extremely rare in most of Equestria, but an offshoot that can be transmitted through vampire bats is very common in areas of Appleoosa, Ponyville, and urban areas of Baltimore.

gakposter
Group Admin

Have you ever heard of bioreactors using cyanobacteria or algae? :raritywink:

Oh wow, I didn't think bout that. Interesting idea, I'll have to think abou this more.

5966822 Actually, E. Coli is a bacteria, not a virus. And malaria is caused by a protist... Just saying :scootangel:

gakposter
Group Admin

This strain of E. Coli I talked about turned into a virus. It was being looked at in a classroom when a filly had a magical surge, transforming it. It then escaped into the foals and spread from there. :P should've explained that.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12