The Rejuvenationverse 48 members · 24 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2
Purple Patch
Group Admin

'A city of folly and hubris. A fortress built by those who spat on the virtues of Friendship and Harmony and a testament to the foolishness of doing so. A dark, deluded splinter of ponykind. One wonders how they came to be or how they believed they would prosper in a world where everything around them proved them so very wrong.
~ Star-Swirl the Bearded, Canterlot Wizard, Minister, Architect, Orator and War Leader.

New Hycarion, named after the fallen capital of the so-called 'Thoroughbred' ponies who rejected Rememberly and Laurelore, was planned to be taller and greater than the old, standing atop Mount Ceras far to the west. Yet after fifteen years of scrounging for resources and launching attacks on Equestria, no such luck. By the thirteenth year they had resorted to requesting aid (Though by all accounts, it more resembled begging than anything else) from the other petty states at war with Equestria with little if any success.

With no alternative, the New Hycarionites dug into the mountain and carved out a makeshift city. An impressive ambition but little came of it. This was no expansive Diamond Dog den or intricate Changeling Hive. New Hycarion was essentially a hoof-full of halls and passageways, it's throne room the largest room and sparsely decorated.

The kings of New Hycarion saw fit to hoard resources, launching small, seemingly insignificant raids upon the nearby territories to accumulate food, materials and weapons. To their credit, this was a wise move. With so many of the more powerful petty states off making war with Equestria and its allies, stealing from them could not have been easier, yet they went about these procedures slowly and surely until their treasury, granary and armoury brimmed with enough necessities to last them a lengthy war.

Around six kings lived and died in shadow, preparing for the day when New Hycarion would rise as grand as its predecessor.

Until the seventh king who proved rather difficult.

His name, or at least the one he went by, was Dvinius. After the untimely (And somewhat suspicious) passing of his father, he rose to the throne in a ceremony he spent a whole month preparing for and which exhausted nearly eight tenths of New Hycarion's hard-earned resources. Anypony who pointed how unwise this was Dvinius had put to death on the spot.

At his coronation, he was carried to his throne...on a smaller throne.

He found walking difficult owing to his apparel.

Bizarrely, he did not believe the alicorn was an abomination as the other enemies of Equestria did. On the contrary, he confirmed to the belief that they were prophesised rulers of a united and enlightened Equestria. Only he believed the aforementioned prophesised ruler was himself.

Determined to give himself an appearance that would put Laurelore's to shame, he wore two pairs of giant prosthetic wings (One spreading out and one curling upwards) that measured nearly ten feet each, along with a set of five prosthetic horns he dotted over his head that he had forged from melted gold (Gold which, until now, was being kept aside for emergency finances) and adopted the title of Potentate Magnificence.

His tenants were in complete contradiction of Laurelore's, emphasising the denouncement of friendship and harmony and espousing that only through his constant worship and aggrandisement would his followers be guaranteed paradise in the next life.

Aurora, Bearer of Magic, on a diplomatic mission, stated the sight of Dvinius to be...
"The most ridiculous spectacle I have ever seen. I knew at once I was looking at a pony with a lot of issues. He never stopped harping on about how brilliant he and his chosen were and how anything Equestria could do they could do better. Yet at no point did they do anything to back up their absurd claims, in fact he stated they didn't need to because according to him 'Pure and perfect New Hycarionites have no need to boast of their unquestionable supremacy' which, among anything else, was a contradiction in terms. He genuinely seemed surprised I needed convincing which brings me to the conclusion that New Hycarion has a crippling shortage of mirrors. I don't say this a lot, in fact this may be the first time I have and will say this but...I don't think we have anything to fear from this stallion. I don't think anyone does"

Discontent with New Hycarion's conscript armies, Dvinius set about assembling an elite team called Cosmos Legion who he believed would rise above all living things and touch the stars as his chosen warriors.

However, the measure by which he chose his elite team was not through any show of might or valour but loyalty. And Dvinius was an unfortunate case of not being able to tell loyalty from sycophancy.

The initiation for Cosmos Legion ultimately turned into a flank-kissing contest and those who commanded Cosmos Legion ended knowing about as much about warfare as they did about advanced alchemical studies (i.e. Not a whole lot)

Dvinius then put the entire cultural capacity of New Hycarion into writing a holy scripture which he claimed came to him in a dream from his future self and foretold Equestria's downfall, subjugation and degradation at their hooves along with various other fanciful achievements. Poorly-written, poorly-developed and with completely backwards morality, a copy in the Canterlot Library comes with a Health Warning
(Side-Effects Of Reading Without Proper Protective Procedure May Cause Migraines, Nausea, Aching Jaw Muscles, Involuntary Rage-Face And Lack Of Faith In Ponies In General For Up To Two Months)

This piece of literature was sanctified by Dvinius and he ordered it read aloud to him and the court three times a day without fail. Many of his fathers generals and ministers falling out of favour, he entrusted Cosmos Legion with leading his assaults which tended to end rather badly.

Neither Cosmos Legion or their ruler possessed much head for strategy and they wantonly charged into battle against foes far greater than they at every turn. Dvinius made adopting any other form of warfare a death sentence believing any attempt not to show the might and fearlessness of Cosmos Legion was blasphemy. The armies of New Hycarion crushed themselves against Equestria's forces time and again and Cosmos Legion fled every time it became obvious that victory was not assured.

The reason Equestria's commanders always let them run to fight another day was recorded by Iris, Bearer of Loyalty, who simply stated.
"Killing them would feel like stomping some dumb foal's soda volcano. You can't help but feel a little sorry for them and I think that's what they hate the most. The fact that we don't so much hate them as pity them"

To this day, Dvinius is regarded as the prime example of how not to rule. He claimed to possess omniscience and omnipotence but was proven a liar on occasions beyond count. He confused caution for cowardice and dissuasion for defiance, punishing both harshly, while willingly believing the lies and fantasies he perpetrated himself. He wasted hard-earned and precious resources and time stroking his own ego and it is no surprise that New Hycarion and its lofty ambitions ended with his death not long after his monumental defeat at the First Siege of Canterlot.

Bronycommander
Group Contributor

Sounds interesting and Good

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2