Melodious Falcons 202 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

While I don't really have anything against the Gene Wilder Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory , I must admit that when it comes to songs, I really much more strongly remember and have a special fondness for the ones from Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Guess I'm just that much of a Danny Elfman fan? :twilightsheepish:

I just really enjoy the variety of styles brought to the table with each of the Oompa-Loompa's songs towards the four bratty kids on the tour.

Case in point.
(Song starts in earnest around 1:46)

Love the big, Bollywood-esque number that accompanies Augustus Gloop getting sucked up and stuck in the pipe. It's a very energetic and rollicking beat, that I find very distinctive and just fun (in a dark way XD) to listen to. Apparently the Bollywood-style tune was at the suggestion of Deep Roy, who played each and every one of the Oompa-Loompas in the film. Definitely one that I think paid off and made for a memorable number! :yay:

(Music begins around 1:51)

And then for Violet Beauregarde, you jump forward and have an electric, funk-type track. This is probably one of THE most darkly comic bits in the entire movie, given how in the sequence you've got the Oompa-Loompas bouncing off of her as they roll her across the floor. :rainbowlaugh: (LOVE that gag near the very end when Willy Wonka - who's been bobbing along to the beat - sees Violet's mom giving him such a look. XD)

(Music starts at 1:35)

Veruca Salt's track really interests me. It's in a 1960s psychedelic pop style, and strangely feels very wistful in comparison to the other songs in the movie. Rather surprising considering that Veruca is usually regarded as the worst of the bratty kids... but then again, considering how the final verse pretty squarely condemns her parents for caving in to her at every turn and spoiling her rotten, it still works pretty well I suppose.

And finally... (Music begins at 1:32)

The song for Mike Teavee is a veritable barrage of noise and visuals, a madcap display of references of everything from cooking shows to Psycho, KISS, The Beatles, and more - all set to a rapid-fire hard rock / hair metal beat. Perfectly fitting for a kid who pretty much lives in front of a screen and was probably raised by television, if you ask me. Also, love the "Help me, help me!" when they pull him out of the screen. Nice shout-out to the original black-and-white The Fly there. XD

I just really enjoy the variety of the songs, and the degree of versatility that I think Danny Elfman showed as a composer by constructing these different melodies - and singing them all too! Truly impressive, at least in my opinion. ^_^

What about you all? Any thoughts or the like? Feel free to share (but keep it polite - if you prefer one version or the other, just say so, no rudeness please).

Mist_Chaser
Group Contributor

My problem was they were pretty much all the same guy. It was too bizarre and distracting to the point that I barely could pay attention to the songs. Atleast OG Oompa Loompas had some individuality and weren't so distracting to the scenes they were in.

Really? Interesting. I had no such difficulty myself. But then again, like I said before, big Tim Burton fan here. I adore weird and bizarre stuff in the storytelling that I consume.

(Plus too, I may admit that I'm just carrying hype backlash towards the original Willy Wonka movie. I saw it once, it was just all right. Years and years of people saying that it's a masterpiece just kind of got my hackles up towards it.)

Mist_Chaser
Group Contributor

I like Burton. Just every once in a rare while, he does something aesthetically that is just cringe to me.

Eh, fair enough. I don't adore every film of his that I watch, mind. But I just happen to prefer his Chocolate Factory to the "classic" one. *shrugs*

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5