My Little Pony: The Movie 264 members · 126 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

Hello everypony, DaveMan1000 here and having watched a few video reviews of MLP: The Movie recently, it got me thinking; while at this current time the film has a mixed reception and is mostly seen as quote un-quote "extended episode", what about in the coming years where after many other incarnations of the franchise and the possible probable live action movie, how will this movie go down in pop culture?

This movie in relation to its show is best compared to the 1986 Transformers movie:
- They both act as a bridge between two of their seasons.
- They have much better animation (or however "better" is defined by TF G1).
- They have celebrity guest stars whose characters don't steal the spotlight completely from the real main players.

The advantage MLP has over TF, is that it's much more standalone than the latter and isn't mandatory to watch to know what's going on in the subsequent season of the show. If you went straight from season 2 to season 3 of The Transformers without watching the movie, you'd be completely lost. With MLP however, while it awards having watched the movie to know the details of what's happening in season 8, the general rundown is given right off the bat at the start of School Daze, so everyone's up to speed.

Plus MLP also doesn't casually murder the old cast to replace them with newbies...

It may just take a bad live action film to finally get people to appreciate the one the showrunners themselves gave us, but we shouldn't need one.

My Little Pony: The Movie may still be debated now, but give it a few years and I believe it will be viewed as a cult classic like The Transformers: The Movie is (which need I remind everyone is still to this day not a critical darling itself).

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1