Comments ( 18 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 18
Queen of Fools
Group Admin

Because you can't really have a group like this without listing your favorite filmed incarnations of the character.

Here's mine in no particular order...

The 1984 series with Jeremy Brett.
The 1954 series with Ronald Howard.
Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbash.
Murder by Decree with Christopher Lee.
The 2009 films with Robert Downey Jr.
The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes with Sir Robert Stephens.
Mr. Holmes with Sir Ian McKellen.
And the 1982 Young Sherlock miniseries with Guy Henry.

Please don't make me pick just one. :fluttercry:

Whoa, whoa, Christopher Lee did Sherlock Holmes?! I need to see that!!! I love Christopher Lee! :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:

Queen of Fools
Group Admin

Murder by Decree.

Go watch it.

Its gud.

5823685 I have both the Downey movies. First one was better, but they're both pretty cool. My mother avoids them like the plague, though. :facehoof:

Still haven't seen "Sherlock". But I'm a fan of Cumberbatch, so when I have time, I'll do it. :twilightsheepish:

Queen of Fools
Group Admin

Holy shit guys: I forgot to put the Great Mouse Detective! Somebody slap me!

The Downey movies are pretty equal in my book. The first was awesome, of course. Then the second was objectively LESS awesome, but had enough perfect scenes in it to absolutely cwin me over.

That entire ending? Golden.

5824842 I don't think Basil of Baker Street counts as a Holmes. But if you are missing any Basil, it's Rathbone. :twilightsheepish:

Queen of Fools
Group Admin

I don't think Basil of Baker Street counts as a Holmes.

Aha! But Mr. Holmes DOES feature in the GMD. :D

There's a moment where his and Watson's shadow's appear onscreen, and Sherlock quotes a quote from the Red Headed League.

So it counts!

But if you are missing any Basil, it's Rathbone. :twilightsheepish:

Basil does a pretty good decent Holmes (but not really my favorite), but I've never really been able to forgive those movies for the complete character assassination they delivered unto Watson.

5824884 Well, yes, that is true. And Basil does live in Holmes' place, so he must have learned everything he knew from him. But they are still different characters. If you added all characters inspired by Holmes, that would be a longer list, including but not limited to Dr. Gregory House, Adrian Monk, and Patrick Jane.

And what do you mean "character assassination"? It's been a while since I saw those old Holmes movies.

Queen of Fools
Group Admin

But they are still different characters. If you added all characters inspired by Holmes, that would be a longer list, including but not limited to Dr. Gregory House, Adrian Monk, and Patrick Jane.

True, but since Sherlock does feature in the film, I can safely add the Great Mouse Detective to my list of favorite Sherlock Holmes movies.

And what do you mean "character assassination"? It's been a while since I saw those old Holmes movies.

They make Watson out to be an inept baffoon.

5824900 Ahhh . . . I had a feeling that would be it. Not sure how, but it was expected. After reading the stories, I can safely say that "inept buffoon" is about as far from Watson as you can get. So yeah, that was a screw-up. :applejackunsure:

Queen of Fools
Group Admin

5824932 Do you have any favs of the original stories?

5824937 I love every one I've read, but I have to say that the first one is the best, "A Study in Scarlet". I loved the meeting between Holmes and Watson and introducing us to Holmes' quirkiness. And the side story with John and Lucy Ferrier deserves its own movie. It is fantastic! :raritystarry:

"The Sign of Four" is fun, action-packed and cool, too. And I like "The Adventure of the Five Orange Pips" and "The Adventure of the Speckled Band".

"The Red-Headed League" was silly and clever, too. :pinkiehappy:

Queen of Fools
Group Admin

All excellent choices.

Personally, the Sign of Four is my absolute favorite among the novels. The action was tense and exciting, and I was actually invested in the subplot about Watson and Mary.

Of course, Red Headed League was pretty silly and clever, and remains ONE OF the greats. Then there's the Case of Identity, which featured some truly excellent banter between Holmes and Watson. The Greek Interpreter was also a very tense adventure, which was helped by the inclusion of Mycroft. The Nix Napoleons, which was as bizarre as it was memorable. The tragic tale of the Dancing Men. The Illustrious Client, which featured the most underrated villian of the original Canon. The Solitary Cyclist, the Second Stain, the Norwood Builder, the Scandel in Bohemia!

DON'T MAKE ME CHOOSE!!

5824996 It's so hard to pick just one. Arthur Conan Doyle was a genius. :raritystarry:

Queen of Fools
Group Admin

And to think he hated writing the stories.

Did you know that he would sometimes accidentally call Watson James instead of John? Or that he would sometimes have the old war wound in the arm instead of the leg?

That's just a special kind of I Don't Give A Fuck.

Do you have any favs of the original stories?

If you don't mind someone else jumping into this discussion, I'd say that one of my personal favorites out of the short stories is The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle.

Queen of Fools
Group Admin

A fine choice.

5825058 Well, I can't say I blame him. When people demand so much of only one thing from you, you begin to lose interest after a while.

Trust me. I know. :twilightoops:

And that on top of his first wife being sick so much, that must not have helped much. :fluttershysad:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 18