FIMFIC IronGuard 50 members · 4 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

It's certainly fascinating to see how a day started by Communist China became a world standard to celebrate women, the unsurprising part is how sexist it actually is.

By this, I mean that Women's Day existence can be meant that women should only be celebrated once a year (instead of every day) to somebody just because its a woman. The single idea of celebrating somebody just for being of a particular sex is a sexist idea that could have only been invented by a man that wanted to exploit women the same way as men by saying "Woman can lift half the sky". Even more sexist if you consider that then we should have a "Men's/Gay/Lesbian/Trans/Computer/Zoo/Pedo/whatever gender you want to make up" to celebrate them if we wanted equality, because everybody should be celebrated for being born on a certain way.

I wonder if the 18th Century ever considered a "Slave Day".

But this doesn't mean that there hasn't been women worth celebrating, not because of their gender but rather because of their achievements. We have women like Catherine The Great, who managed to hold the Russian Empire for decades, we have Luisa Cáceres de Arismendi and how she managed to stay firm on her beliefs and didn't betrayed the patriots to Spain, we have Joan De Arc and how she lead the French to face the British, we have Queen Victoria (the best queen in England), we have Isabel Allende and her contribution to Chilean history, all the women that devoted themselves to help Europe during WWI, the women that prefers to not eat just so their children can have food for the day and many more.

There have been women whose achievements deserves to be known and recognized for what they did, not for being a woman and I think it would be better to eliminate the celebration of a sex and celebrate the achievements made by the individuals of said sex.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1