The Antifascist Iron Front 76 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Alsvid
Group Admin

An Arkansas elected official used a racial slur to describe a former police officer who won a civil right lawsuit against the city.

Rick Sayre, an alderman for Cave Springs, made the racist remark after a City Council meeting in June, according to the city’s police chief, reported KFSM-TV.

Police Chief Rick Crisman said he was talking to Sayre and others in an American Legion parking lot when a neighboring police department came up, and someone mentioned how many former Cave Springs officers worked there now — including former officer Stan Young.

“Stan is the whitest ‘N-word’ I know,” Sayre said, according to Crisman.

The chief said he was “absolutely shocked” by Sayre’s comments, but he said the alderman tried to justify his remark by saying he and Young were friends.

“For anyone to say that, let alone a city official to say that — I really didn’t say much after that,” Crisman said.

The police chief held off on reporting the incident to city officials because of another unrelated political controversy going on at the time.

Young was fired from Cave Springs police in 2013, and he later sued the department over alleged racism and late reached a settlement with the city on overtime pay.

“I have no comment because I was not there,” Young said of the alderman’s alleged comments. “I do not believe that Rick Sayre said it.”

City officials said there’s no process for removing an alderman because they serve only two-year terms.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1