The Antifascist Iron Front 76 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Alsvid
Group Admin

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/10/23/1585964/-Trump-18-Weaponizing-the-alt-right

You might be able to argue there's an up side to this one: The spreading of hate, attack and fear into new quarters of America, to the ranks of people who never had to worry about this kind of garbage.
What kind?

Meet David French, a political activist but the sort of activist - a writer, a conservative message crafter for the almost archly-civilized magazine National Review - who observed problems with the Donald Trump campaign and called them out.

He did that, he recalled in an article out this week, in a short post about a year ago, "calling out notorious Trump ally Ann Coulter for aping the white-nationalist language and rhetoric of the so-called alt-right. Within minutes, the tweets came flooding in. My youngest daughter is African American, adopted from Ethiopia, and in alt-right circles that’s an unforgivable sin. It’s called 'race-cucking' or 'raising the enemy.'

I saw images of my daughter’s face in gas chambers, with a smiling Trump in a Nazi uniform preparing to press a button and kill her. I saw her face photo-shopped into images of slaves. She was called a 'niglet' and a 'dindu.' The alt-right unleashed on my wife, Nancy, claiming that she had slept with black men while I was deployed to Iraq, and that I loved to watch while she had sex with 'black bucks'.”

French goes on to describe his family's experience over the last year, which actually gets much worse, jaw-droppingly bad, and is by no means over yet. He said at one point, "I share my family’s story not because we are unique or because our experience is all that extraordinary, but rather because it is depressingly, disturbingly ordinary this campaign season. The formula is simple: Criticize Trump — especially his connection to the alt-right — and the backlash will come."

He cites a substantial list of other conservatives who are enduring similar attacks. And if fact if you Google the many other names in the article, you'll find some astonishing stories - stories of abuse for political activity unlike anything we're accustomed to in this country.

Political party activists have sometimes colored outside the lines before, but never, never, not in either party until now, on this kind of scale.
It's eerily reminiscent of an updated version of Jim Crow, aimed in new directions. Not that the old directions have gone away, which could mean that - and here's one small element of good that might come from this - these atrocities perpetrated by the alt right activists might actually draw a very widely based front of opposition.

It has to be opposed, because these kind of cowardly bullies traditionally accelerate their behavior if they're not called on it.
It also provides a compelling reason that Donald Trump must not become president. These alt righters are plenty bad now, but imagine how many of them will feel emboldened if their candidate is elected - a candidate who would have neither the guts nor the inclination to rein in this mob of incipient brownshirts.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1