Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10
The_Black_Knight
Group Admin

I'm not saying we should support them but we shouldn't hate them. Maybe we can just not support them and allow them to be stupid on their own accord. Granted they may make autism look like a cancer and put a lot of money toward research rather than actually helping. But let's just ignore them rather then just going out and hating them.

Big Brother is Watching
Group Contributor

Expanding upon what 5474683, we shouldn't hate them, but we shouldn't support them. Aside from the obvious issues, like spending too much on pre-natal identification of Autism and not enough on raising awareness and determining how to make the positive traits of Autism shine while also suppressing the negative ones, Autism Speaks has suddenly made a heel-turn, but they're still going in a poor direction: Using Autism to justify poor behavior. As an Autist, I think this is bad, not as bad as seeking out ways to pre-natally exterminate Autists, but it's awful. I think they made this heel-turn in response to the negative reception to comparing Autism to cancer and discovering their main intent. I think the best thing to do, because Autism Speaks will just go from one toxic direction to the next, would be to just not feed them in any way possible.

The_Black_Knight
Group Admin

Not to mention that if we did hate them we would end up getting too worked up on our hate that we could never see the writing on the wall. And we would end up being no different than Black Lives Matter. With that said we should have our heads held high as we deflect the hate going toward us. Hell we could change this world and make a better name for autism. No longer would autism be linked to school shootings(Like Sand Hook) and problems with children. But we should no means think of ourselves as gods walking among this earth. But if there was a god he made us this way for a reason. And we should find that reason. We need to find our why in life.

NicLove
Group Admin

5474695 5474718
The sad thing is that, they have too much power.

Too many people tack they word as being the truth.

If we don't stop them or at the less slow them down everyone is going to think that the ones with Autism are jest going to be burden on society

EarthbendingProdigy
Group Contributor

5260100 You included one of my videos, it is the second one from the top.

5474695 Unfortunetely due to how much influence they have and how much misinfo they are putting out we have no choice but to respond, it is a very different situation than your typical internet troll, it is part of a wider problem where corrupt people create fake charities. It dosen't mean we say things like "fuck you Autism Speaks, I hope you die" but it does mean that their message needs to be countered with a more accurate message free of their fear mongering and exclusionary tactics.

Big Brother is Watching
Group Contributor

I have realized that, sadly, you're actually completely right. :ajsleepy:

They may no longer support extermination and misandry (thank God!), but what they promote now, using Autism as an excuse for any unacceptable behavior out there, is probably one of the next worst things, and we shouldn't tolerate this either. Autists should be encouraged to rise above, not below, and Autism Speaks' new PC direction won't promote this.

The_Black_Knight
Group Admin

Exactly. I am currently reading 1984 and it makes really good points about how you can control people. If you can control what they know of certain things you can control how they think about it. Make autism look like cancer where the sooner it's diagnosed the better. Parents will worry with how it's portrayed. However even what I am saying is nothing more than opinion. There may be autistic people who wish there was a cure. But I think the best way to approach this is to speak with them and tell them what they think. Fear sells and may be the only one who knows this. In the early 2000's there was this software that parents could use to monitor children's internet surfing. This was advertised to prevent child getting kidnapped from predators. And it was sold at $99.99 and it sold very well. In contrast the same can be applied to silicon breast implants. They were linked to causing kidney cancer or breast cancer and after that no one wanted to get that done. So when you can portray autism as something that should be ridden they can easily get money for their "cure" and they end up winning. As I said before we should speak with them. I have started a lengthy email concerning what I think about them.

EarthbendingProdigy
Group Contributor

5475951 I think they have the same end goal as they always had, but have had to change tactics due to the backlash from the Autism community. I haven't heard of them going PC, but it sadly dosen't surprise me as it is becoming increasingly hip to drink the politically correct kool aid sadly and it isn't just Autism Speaks but some in the Autism community as well that bear some responsibility for that. It is not the majority, thank god but is a rather toxic minority that is gaining influence.

5475969 The author of 1984 was an insider who knew the global elites plans for humanity and wrote books like that to warn the public about their plans. A cure is likely a long way off meaning that my main concern is what we do now, great advances have been made in treatment which is a good thing, but unfortunately many adults are falling through the cracks. The rate of unemployment of Autistic adults is disturbingly high, as a matter of fact it is even higher than other adults with neurological differences such as people with Downs Syndrome for example. I believe part of this may be due to the fact that many Autistic adults are able to "pass" as "normal" yet because are not getting some of the supports they need because of this. Of course if a cure were to come say tomorrow the question of whether or not to take it should of course be decided by individuals with Autism and their families.

The_Black_Knight
Group Admin

Well a direct cure may be long ways away but there are other ways of getting rid of it. In the UK for example doctors there can detect down syndrome and will terminate any pregnancy that has it. Give it a few years and they can detect autism in a fetus. Not to mention that when we reach a point that we can change someone's genome thanks to the CASPER system. They can change the genetic code of someone with autism and BOOM they no longer have it technically. Granted that's up to the person or their parents if they want to get rid of it. But there is a part of me that says that society will decide that we should all be cured regardless if we want it or not if they see it as a potential danger. Of course I could be completely wrong but this is the vibe I'm getting as of right now.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10