Writer Support 254 members · 942 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

It’s been I believe a few months now and I haven’t wrote a single story. The last time I had written any chapters of some stories of mine was before summer started but now my fire has blown down and I lost the confidence and positivity to write anything at all. All because I’m afraid to fail, afraid that I might screw something up, and the more I read other people’s writing and how well theirs where the more I worry. I have so many stories stacked up on my shelf that hadn’t been released or worked on yet, witch leaves to one question that I still have today: How do they do it?

All because I’m afraid to fail, afraid that I might screw something up, and the more I read other people’s writing and how well theirs where the more I worry.

Fear is the mindkiller.

I might have stole that from Earthworm Jim or Dune.

Don't compare yourself to other people's writing because that's the way to madness.
Learn what you can and go do your own work.

To be a writer is to recognize the hidden hunger for folks to say, "You done good!"
To have that one golden moment before it fades away and we're back to toiling in the cold and empty darkness.
Even folks who have many followers and stories with more upvotes than the stars in the skies sometimes post that they want that
golden moment.

If you want to get gud, you have to write and finish stories.
Pick one and get it done.

As far as fearing failure, well, you'll never progress unless you royally muck things up.
Failure is a better teacher than success.

I wrote a train-wreck of a story. Heck, they even put my story in the train-wreck group.
And yeah, it hurt a lot to hear folks bitch about my story. But I didn't give up. I spent more time on short stories so when I did another longer story, it had a better reception.

Don't use doubt or fear to stop yourself, instead use it to improve.
I don't know how I can do this-> let's google and find out what I need to know.

How do I do it?
I work on stories in my head and when it has what I want, I write it.
I pick subjects, that I'm interested in.

I made a deal with the Devil to get more ideas.
Use real world as inspiration.

I see, I’ll remember that. Thank you. :fluttershysad:

If you write horror, the real world is the best source of inspiration.

As sevenofeleven said, the best advice is: Do not let the fear of failing paralyze you. All of the people out there have failed. Many times. And you know what’s the trick? Getting back up. Clench your teeth, learn from your mistakes, and carry on trying.

And if you are unsure about the quality of the story, you can always seek an editor or beta-reader to look it over before it gets to a larger audience. And I believe I have enough experience to say that such helpers are patient and won’t judge you for your mistakes. At least my and my colleagues try to live by that.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5