Weed World 831 members · 74 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

A while ago it was suggested that a TVTropes page or something would be useful as a reference for things going on in the Weedverse. Nothing apparently happened though, and I needed a project to unwind from exams, so: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/FanFic/TheWeedverse

Apparently it takes a little over a week to read and trope the entire Weedverse.

WARNING FOR SPOILERS: Attempting to spoiler tag the main Weedverse page would result in half of it being blanked out, so I've followed policy and not bothered, instead putting a big bold warning at the top of the Tropes list, and there are no spoilers prior to that point. The individual story pages are spoiler tagged normally, although there are unmarked spoilers any previous stories in the same thread (so the Venenum Iocus page doesn't mark spoilers for The Weed, for example) and trying to remain completely unspoiled on TVTropes is nigh impossible. Similarly, the Characters page doesn't have marked spoilers.

Because proofreading your own work is an excellent way to miss things, I'm sure there's stuff that needs fixing or that I've missed, so if people want to fix stuff, well that's what the Wiki format is for, get on with it! Alternatively let me know, and at some point it might get fixed (By the way, I know that titles containing punctuation aren't showing up correctly, I've submitted a request to fix it, but I'm not an admin so can't fix it myself Edit: Sorted, at least for existing pages).

Things that still need doing, if someone wants to do it, get on with it, but if not, I might get to them eventually:
* I only started doing Awesome/Funny/etc. halfway though, so I've probably missed some from the earlier stories, not to mention how it's all subjective anyway, so feel free to add to them. I haven't even started on YMMV (if someone's doing YMMV, Archive Panic is probably a good place to start). Edit: There is now a YMMV page.
* The character descriptions on the character sheet are very perfunctory and could really use some improvement.
* Although the Weedverse page is indexed, the rest aren't. Edit: Done.

I do have a couple of things I wanted a second opinion on:

The Characters page is currently divided up as: Adventurers/Equestrian Royalty, Guard, Government and Associated Characters/Twilight Sparkle's School and Ponyville/Pie Family/Rat Catcher's Guild/The Frozen North/Other Heroes/Villains/Other Characters. There's probably a better way of dividing them, or at least renaming some of the more awkward categories, so if someone has a better suggestion then I'd like to hear it.

I can't decide if the final ensemble for Venenum Iocus counts as a Five-Man Band or not (Tarnish as The Leader, Flamingo as The Lancer, Maud as The Big Guy, Vinyl as The Smart Guy, Octavia as The Chick and Helianthus as an Eleventh Hour Sixth Ranger), but I'm blowing hot and cold, with (in my opinion) the dodgiest assignments being Flamingo and Vinyl, as Flamingo seems to hit the Lancer almost by default rather than actually fitting it best, and assigning The Smart Guy when four out of five count as Genius Bruisers or Badass Bookworms (or both) is kind of tricky. I am aware I'm bad at reading social dynamics though, so I'm outsourcing that to you lot.

Finally, Observations and Random Wild Speculations from reading the entire Weedverse in one go incoming (these are largely guesses, and maybe the result of an overcooked brain, but I think they're interesting):

A fairly big question that gets asked and then never entirely answered is where does magic ultimately come from? Some magic comes from the stars, but that seems like far too small an amount. A similar question asked at the same time is how Sumac powers up nearby mages, leading me to suspect that the two are linked, and that Sorcerers introduce new magic into the world, where it enters the cycle of Ley Lines that Tarnish and Maud study, making Sumac the solution to the problem of his own Hypothesis. It's got a neat symmetry to it if nothing else.

The Weedverse began with Tarnish, and I think that, when the (hopefully distant) time comes and the last story is told, it'll end with him as well. I've not got much evidence to back this up, beyond just how much fate seems to be twisting around him, but I reckon it's a good hunch.

Together, They Fight Crime will end with Azure and Yam joining Stiff Upper Lip, as later stories depict them as part of it, but they don't appear to be at the beginning.

I reckon there's going to be at least one, if not several Sacrificial Lions or Heroic Sacrifices in the future of the Weedverse, and if I had to pick characters likely to die, I would suspect Knock Knock, Toot Toot, Twinkleshine, Hotspur, Wicked Chandler, Dr Sterling or Malcanus. Edit: One down so far... :fluttershysad:

Cadance is going to get Twilight Sparkle laid. With the amount of meddling she does, there's no way it's not on the list somewhere. On that topic, a ship that isn't explicit (yet?) but I ship is Stinkbug/Celaeno. Also, as a diehard Sunburst/Starlight shipper, I appreciate the hints in that direction in PTSSFF, even if they end up not going anywhere. Edit: I was kinda right about Cadance, and the hints went somewhere :pinkiehappy:

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go and play D&D until my thoughts stop being in TVTropes markup.

Well, I for one thank you for this. It really needed a page (like all good fics) :derpytongue2:

Yessss. I've been waiting for this.

Wait, is this on the Fanfic Recs page? I'm getting an account.

kudzuhaiku
Group Admin

Oh my goodness, I have a lot of reading to do. And here I am trying to put Skyreach together. Bugger.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4