The Official Modern Disney-Haters' Club 27 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4
Walabio
Group Admin

[ Electoral-Vote.Com ]

Hulu Won't Run Democrats' Ads

The Democrats are clearly going to have the fundraising advantage this cycle, and so will be able to afford a lot more advertising. However, that advantage doesn't do the Party much good if platforms won't take their ads. Right now, the Democratic muckety mucks are hopping mad that the streaming platform Hulu is refusing to run spots centering on abortion, gun control and political violence, as such ads are "controversial."

Hulu is owned by Disney, by the way, so there have been quite a few folks on the right who heard this news and said, more or less "See! Now you know what it feels like!" Truth be told, we can see both sides of the story. On one hand, if Disney/Hulu runs Democratic ads, it will anger Republican viewers, and will cause some of them to cancel. A streaming service makes far more on subscription fees than it does on ads, and so the cost/benefit analysis just doesn't add up.

On the other hand, the Democratic ads are not violent or jarring, and rely primarily on verifiable statistics and quotations. That is very different from many Republican ads, which assert outright lies, like "the election was stolen." Further, the Democrats point out that abortion, gun control and political violence are shaping up to be the dominant issues of the midterms and that banning such ads hamstrings their campaigning.

Hulu eventually backed down on a couple of ads, and will presumably back down on a few more. Still, it is a reminder that despite complaints to the contrary, Hulu/Disney and other media conglomerates are not in the bag for one political party or the other, and they really prefer to remain neutral and to keep customers (and employees) of all stripes happy. (Z)

[ / Electoral-Vote.Com ]

Since then, Hulu started running the adds. It is not easy trying to offend none.

People still uses Hulu? That should be breaking news.

Walabio
Group Admin

That reminds me, I once wrote something for another site about streaming, I shall dust it off and post it hither soon.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4