Filly Fantasy VI 279 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 263 )
  • Viewing 251 - 300 of 263

Yeah, I was just trying to think of something for his first battle. The final battle, he can pretty much have whatever he wants.

I have to say, I love everything about this hack so far and the work done on it, except for the Mane-iac fight in the Opera House, It's really not fun just tedious and annoying because her counters are all overpowered, early bosses really shouldn't have a counter attack for every single attack you do, constantly using fire ruby or dragon on myself got really old and the constant lullabies are just prolonging this fight needlessly it's not difficult just tedious long and un-fun, I've spent an hour on her so far because she uses lullaby every 5 seconds, and it rarely ever misses on the party it's like one giant annoying grind fest, by that I mean worse than normal for RPGs. I've taken these characters to lvl 80+ before so I'm not unfamiliar with grinding, but this pushes even my limits, to know beating her only puts you forward a short amount in the story where as level grinding sets you up for bigger fights. Dread I to remember what happens when she combines lullaby time with snack time, it's irritating, and she has done that before to me, thankfully lullaby miraculously missed on Flash Sentry that time so he could hit 230 on her each turn preventing the worst case scenario.

I didn't have enough time to equip trueform pin or other relics either because of Square's original choice to make the timer count down in the item menu was really dumb, I wish it were possible to pause the timer in the pause menu as well I mean objects get paused so why does the timer keep going. Still if I was a new player I'd probably hate this fight even more if I didn't know about the helpful relics, the only reason I don't completely hate the fight currently is because I know trueform pin fixes a lot of the issues and playing better against the rats would have prevented this rush to fight her without preparing to begin with.

Sometime during that long battle.
*cures everyone*
Lullaby
Snack Time
Snowball (It really doesn't help that this is basically demi and does % damage.)
Characters wake up
Lullaby
Ice Aoe
Ice Aoe
Full Party Wipe. 1 hour wasted.

Complaints aside though I still love your hack and when I'm not being a dolt and rushing in without equipping relics it's a lot of fun.

The 2nd battle same setup only succeeded because Celestia used RoyalShock at 7hp while everyone else was dead and did 3.1k, I'll need to remind myself to never forget relics before the timer begins if I ever end up replaying that battle.

A bit of another edit here, why do so many bosses counter with drain? It kinda feels like padding rather than a change of strategy. Just wondering since I'm fighting ProtoTroop After Mane-iac. AJ is kinda useless early on because two bosses countered her attacks with drain/dragon may as well not use her sword skills at all if the player is punished (Dragoned, then drained) multiple times for using them, maybe it's just these two bosses but I'm in the factory currently.

I've spent an hour on her so far because she uses lullaby every 5 seconds, and it rarely ever misses on the party it's like one giant annoying grind fest, by that I mean worse than normal for RPGs.

Zephyr Capes are available before that fight, which protects against Sleep. If you were searching around, there was a free one that the game would've provided you with. There's also a Ribbon, but most players who haven't played the original wouldn't know where to find that. Then again, with this hack's difficulty, I don't think it was intended for that. You can buy Zephyr Capes at Starlight Village, the village around the Veldt, and if I remember correctly, a few monsters in Griffon Stone drop it/can be stolen from.

AJ is kinda useless early on because two bosses countered her attacks with drain/dragon may as well not use her sword skills at all if the player is punished (Dragoned, then drained) multiple times for using them,

Which 2 bosses would that be? Trueform Pin and White Cape protects from Dragon, so if you're finding that an issue, use those. As for Drain, Cadance can Runic it. So if you're expecting it, have Cadance Runic and follow it up with AJ's Swordtech together. (Cadance is required to take there, so that option's always available.)

Remember you can Summon Espers now for massive damage or for some protection. 1 time use per battle, so use them wisely.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

As Skylight said, Zephyr Cape can block Sleep. The Mane-iac’s counters are otherwise set to specific commands; she counters Magic and Summons with Drain and Alicorn and SwdTech with Dragonsong.

As for Drain, yes, it is just these two bosses that have it for now. The only other major bosses that use it as a regular counter are in the World of Ruin.

Anyway, all that being said, I do find it a bit unfair that the Mane-iac 100% counters those special moves. I’m gonna change it to a 66% chance and change the Magic/Summon counter to Mute, make it a bit more slack.

Cadence can't be used during the Mane-iac fight in the opera house, as she's part of story events there for the opera scene, unless it's a glitch that she doesn't join you until after the fight, I'm pretty sure Celes didn't join you either during that fight in the original. I've actually played FF6 multiple times before, but I somehow never once found the ribbon that early, I'm ashamed to say.

With that whole AJ thing though the Mane-iac fight has a 100% dragon counter to AJ's sword skills and that ProtoTroop fight has a 100% counter with drain whenever I used her sword skills on it, but I had shell for that fight so it wasn't nearly as bad, though I can't remember if shell is supposed to lower drain's damage or not in the original, either way it's nice that it's helpful against it, I actually haven't played FF6 in a few years so I can't remember some of the original FF6 stuff. My party was Flash Sentry, Celestia and AJ for the Mane-iac fight, anytime I used Celestia's normal magic she would 100% drain counter Celestia and that was pretty painful early on. The 3rd Gilda fight was a cinch though, I just nuked her with Celestia using Skyfire and cider cups, mainly because I hate those bit mobs so much that I didn't care how much MP I wasted on them as long as they stopped using buffs and missile lol.

I'm definitely going to stock up on those capes now, I was mainly speedrunning Griffonstone I didn't use mug because iron daggers 1 hit nearly every party member I had at the time that got hit by it for 380+ damage, do they pierce defense? Not even protect helped against iron daggers and Gilda's curved knives which did 800+ damage to 2 of my party members each time she used them regardless of protect status, I think it did 886 to Celestia who had protect on, I had steel gear on them, either that or iron gear I can't remember which. Anyways, hopefully I don't come off as too much of a complainer I still love this hack, it's a lot of fun, I just wanted to mention a few points that felt a little overpowered for such an early fight, though with a few capes and other relics I'll probably fair better next time.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

No, complaints are good, I like feedback even if it’s negative, at least in regards to battle balance. If something is askew with difficulty, I wanna be told.

Were the status boosting Esper effects removed Magic+1 HP+% etc? Just curious so I know to use a different party setup to prepare for the world of ruin.

Yes, they are removed.

Yo, I don't know if ya know about it, but the Alicorn "tutorial" still gives the old code for Pummel in the middle of it. Could be confusing for newcomers.

Huh... I reported that a long time ago. That wasn't fixed yet?

DrakeyC
Group Admin

Well, it will be now!

Something I though about when I was fighting The Prototroop Boss, but have you considered making the Debillitator a common/rare steal from Trappers? Since it is something almost required to fight the boss with, being able to get it a few rooms back from him gives the players who forgot to buy tools on the way down an out.

... And I just realized that the Bio Blaster counts as Poison and i could have used that if his WallChange landed on Poison. I am a dumb. Still Earth, Wind, and Fire Holy (if you didn't bring Luna) and Water are probably not an option for most parties that reach him, so giving the players an easy Debillitator gives them an option to 're-roll' if you land on a 'dud' element

Plus it would make sense for something called a Trapper to have a weapon called The Debillitator.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

Well, I wouldn't say it's completely necessary, but it is a good idea.

• Viewing 251 - 300 of 263