Cool Group Bro.... Needs More Ponies 53 members · 11 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3

When Shadowflame published the second to last chapter of the third and possibly final story of the "Cool Story Bro" series, I said that I would write down my thoughts on each of the three stories. So here they are: (partially copy and pasted from the comment I posted on the third story)

"Cool Story Bro, But It Needs More... Ponies?"

Lyle Anderson, a high school junior, is slowly turning into a pony thanks to Angela and her magic, which she discovered the night before and used it on Lyle for fun. To make matters worse, Lyle cannot exit the school after the classes are over due to detention. Because of this, Lyle fully transforms into a pony during detention, scares the living crap out of the teacher monitoring him, and gets to hang out with Emily, his crush, for the first time.

This is the first MLP transformation fanfic I read. And boy, it was an awesome but awkward experience reading it. :derpyderp2: Though the transformation sequences made me feel uneasy while reading the story :pinkiesick:, Lyle's experience in his new body and his interaction with Emily was entertaining to read. I could've given up reading when the story started talking about Lyle's body parts slowly changing, but I decided to stick through and read it the whole way. It was worth it when I reached the part where Emily started scratching the back of Lyle's ears, which was my favorite part of the story. :pinkiehappy:

"Yeah, It Needed More Ponies"

Lyle finally asks Emily out on a date, but Angela decides to pull out her magic shenanigans and use the pony transformation spell on both Lyle and Emily! Both of them have random adventures as ponies while trying to hide from the public. Story also has a sweet moment with the duo in the end.

My favorite story of the series. Just like the events of the first story, it follows up with another wild, crazy, silly, and fun adventures that the human-turned-pony characters have before the transformation wears off. :pinkiehappy: My favorite parts of the story were the parts where Emily and Lyle first talk to each other in their pony forms, the part where they both wake up from their long nap and realize that Emily was sleeping on top of Lyle :derpytongue2:, and their date in the park at nighttime with no one around.

Cool Story Bro... MOAR PONIES!

Lyle goes on a trip to Washington D.C. and makes new friends along the way. Unbeknownst to them, someone is lurking around and has sinister plans for the country....

This story is darker and edgier compared to the first two stories. It also introduces an antagonist who is up to no good and has a wide variety of magic to use in his disposal. Even though there were some humor scattered around in the fanfic, the laughter I received from those parts were short-lived since I was anxious to know what was going to happen in the later chapters. Despite the story and the series having a bit of happy ending (assuming that this is the end of the series), the fact that the transformation's permanent, a character sacrifices herself to change the ritual's effect, and the villain nearly accomplished his goal with little resistance did little to mitigate my moods after reading the story. I'm sorry to say this, but I think the "Cool Story Bro" series would be better if this story was not included in the series; the first two series put me in a joyful bright mood after reading them, but this one did not. :ajsleepy: I still give credit to Shadowflame for taking the series to a new direction, though.

In case you do not know, I am not really a fan of transformation fics. Instead, I read stories with random events or random stuff happening in it. I encountered the first story while browsing the "Random Comedy" group on Fimfiction. I encountered this story since I wanted to read something that's odd and peculiar. Eventually, I read the second story of the series after enjoying the first one.

What about your guy's thoughts? What did you think about each of the stories in the series and the series itself? Did you enjoy it or not? Leave your thoughts below!

Update! Shadowflame posted a comment in response to my thoughts. Here's what he said:

Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Thanks for writing down your thoughts on these stories. I had fun reading them, mostly because I don't usually read my own work that much and your thoughts brought back a sense of nostalgia to me.
But as you said, the third one was a bit darker than the other two, and I totally agree. While you personally say the third would've been better off not being done, I say there's a lesson to be learned in that. The first two stories were definitely my happiest ones, with great moments of love and laughter. But just like any story, bad things can happen, and most of the time, we don't have control over those. At the end, everyone did their best and did what had to be done, and even if it wasn't a perfect result, they found a way to live with that.
You see, the real reason why I wrote this third story wasn't quite to complete the other two, but to add and teach this sort of lesson. Bad things happen, and people have to make do. In my experience, truly compelling stories always seemed to be the ones with the most truthful of morals and lessons. So I basically took a page out of the books that I love the most, and tried doing something different, and ended up making something I could feel proud of. A few people said this third installment didn't have enough comedy to live up to the first two, but honestly, not every story is the same. Every story has its own set of twists and turns, some you can see, but others you can't until it's too late, and their either a welcome surprise or just another 'feels trip', and I wanted to teach the lesson I mentioned above with a different angle and by leading it in a different direction.
I realize that I may have just been rambling for a whole paragraph and a half, but those are honestly my thoughts now. I hope you can understand where I'm coming from, as I have read and understand your ideals.
Thanks for the comment!
-Shadowflame

Shadowflame
Group Admin

Every story has its own set of twists and turns, some you can see, but others you can't until it's too late, and their either a welcome surprise or just another 'feels trip',

Oops, *they're* :facehoof: :twilightsmile:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3