Behind The Fic(s) 134 members · 355 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

Hello there, my name is Calligraphy Legends (Calligraphy for short) and I currently have two stories under my belt here on FIMFiction. One is a short story entitled A Thousand Moons and the other is a story I am currently working on called Shadows of My Past. I think I'll start off with talking about A Thousand Moons. I'll block out anything that could be considered a spoiler.

This was a story idea I had for about six months before I finally wrote it down. I had originally posted it on the Nick.com Message Boards before I joined FIMFic; I also made a couple of edits between then and now. The idea came to me when I was thinking about Luna ( *cough cough* Best Princess *cough cough* ) and her backstory. A large part of her role in the show is that she can dream walk, than I got to thinking of why she would feel unloved if she could make this connection to her subjects before she was sent to the moon? Which then made me think of what in the hay Luna did while she was on the moon? So, than I thought up this. I won't spoil anything, but I answer both questions in said fic. This also seemed like unexplored territory, I've come across plenty of comics concerning the subject, but no fics thus far.
A few characters had outside inspiration. Artemis' name was inspired by the Greek goddess (it drives me up the wall when male characters are named Artemis; Artemis was a goddess!); I also decided to make Luna and Celestia's mother the original ruler of night because, to me, Celestia always felt like a Daddy's Girl. Starsong and Sunillusion were inspired by the Greek gods Artemis and Apollo, mostly how Rick Riordan personifies them in his Percy Jackson and the Olympians series.
The Dreams and the Nightmares are supposed to represent a balance, sort of like yin and yang. The Dreams represent hope, joy, and wonder. All the fuzzy good stuff that we love. Whereas the Nightmares represent the honesty of reality, following the rules, exactly, and doing the harder thing. The stuff that we don't always want to deal with her talk about. Starsong (leader of the Dreams) fits in better with the Nightmares, while Sunillusion (leader of the Nightmares) fits in better with the Dreams. It's all a grand balance.
For questions and whatnot concerning this story, be sure to put [A Thousand Moons] at the top of your message.

Shadows of My Past only has a couple parts out and I have barely scratched the surface of this story. The idea for it came when I had the idea What if Cadence and Sombra were related? and thus the story was born. I plan to take it all the way up to when she begins foal sitting Twilight (possibly a little bit past that). I personally have always enjoyed Cadence's character and I wanted to explore a back story for her while also exploring a backstory for Sombra. Seeing as the two are connected by, oh, I don't know, an EMPIRE. I also wanted to explain why it is called an Empire despite it being one city; Equestria is more of an empire than the Crystal Empire. So, yeah, I delve into all that.
I made her father an alicorn mostly because I would like to see some alicorn diversity, but also because I really wanted one of the parents to be an alicorn and the other a pegasus; I really needed her mom to be the pegasus, because plot. Also, for those of you who don't know, galaxite is actually a precious gemstone and the character Galaxite is modeled directly after it. The reason all three siblings have really long Italian names is because I just wanted it to be a thing, that's just how they name their kids. Lastly, I made Ombra and Stella twins because I wanted to create a parallel between them and Celestia and Luna. In Celestia and Luna's situation, Luna was able to be reformed and become good again. Which is great, but that's not always the case. A lot of times people (or ponies in this case) don't change. So, I wanted to showcase that Celestia and Luna's story could have turned very dark had the Mane Six destroyed Nightmare Moon and Luna with her; rather than Luna being reformed.
That's it for now, I will likely add more later on when I get more chapters out. For anything concerning this story please put [Shadows of My Past] at the top of your message.

(It helps to know which one you are talking about). See you later :twilightsmile:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1