Behind The Fic(s) 134 members · 357 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

Hello, my name is Toonsgirl, author of two stories, Feelings Out and The Singing Heart. First, I will tell you about my beginnings with the Singing Heart. Second, I will tell you about my inspiration for Feelings Out.

When I started watching mlp, I wanted to write a story that had involved the Cutie Mark Crusaders. I had an idea that featured them running away and running into a villian who takes away cutie marks or something (this was way way back before Tirek and Starlight came into the show).
Life circumstances and other projects forced me to not wrote the story. I was also unsure whether to write mlp fan fiction because I had heard about bronies who went too far in their fan art or fan stories (I knew a girl who stopped liking mlp all because some boy showed her some creepy AJ fan art!).

A year or two later, I discovered a mlp fan piece that made get excited about writing mlp fan fiction. It was the famous and brilliant Bride of Discord (both book and the audio drama) by DisneyFanatic! :yay:
That was when I realized that there are Brony fans that know how to write a good story AND keep them kid-friendly just like the actual show! It also made me a Fluttercord fan and I thought I wanted to write a story about them too! All I had to dd was figure out a good story for them that would be different from other Fluttercord fan fics. I remembered my favorite musical, the Sound of Music and that was when I found my story not only for Fluttershy and Discord but also for the CMC! Every mlp character was very loosely based on or inspired by the characters from the Sound of Music.
Fluttershy=Fräulein Maria Rainer.
Discord=Captain Georg Von Trapp.
Screwball=Liesel.
Babs Seed=Friederich.
Apple Bloom=Brigitta.
Scootaloo=Louisa and Kurt.
Sweetie Belle= Marta and Gretel.
Celestia=Mother Abbess
Chrysalis=Baroness Schraeder
Flim and Flam brothers=Uncle Max
Mothball=Rolf
Flash, Sunset Shimmer, AJ, RD, Pinkie Pie and Rarity=Captain's servants
Starlight, Trixie, and Svengallop=Nazis.

I started writing the story during the beginning of Season 5. At that time, Starlight Glimmer was still a bad guy and I automatically thought that casting her as a leader of the Nazi party was suitable inspired by her debut episode.
When I began writing this story, I had a faithful adaptation in my mind. But then I realzied that I had to take some liberties because some of the stuff that worked in the Sound of Music, don't make sense with the mlp characters and/or their universe. I had to alter elements to make sure that our beloved ponies (and draconequess) stay in character as much as they could. Mothball was mostly the one that drifted from his SoM counterpart. At first, I was not going to give Screwball a love interest because in the movie, Rolf joined the Nazis and stopped loving Liesel because she and her family opposed the Nazis. But fellow bronies asked me to include Mothball into my story. I was not sure but then I started to think what if instead of supporting the Nazis, Mothball was hiding from them? (Inspired by some stories of people who had run from the Nazis and hid in other countries). I found the idea appealing because it would make him sympathetic and likeable. After thinking of a good story for Mothball, I asked DisneyFanatic for her permission and she said yes as long as I take good care of him. So have no fear DisneyFanatic, he is in good hooves! :raritywink:
Twilgiht Sparkle, Spike, Cadance, and Shining Armor are not based on anybody from the Sound of Music. The Singing Heart is an alternate universe story which is not only different from the show but also doesn it have any connection to it. Then, I wondered what if my fan fic was all a book that Twilgiht Sparkle read? I also included her and her family so they would introduce the story and maybe stand in for the audience. I hope that my story would be enjoyable to bronies and pegasisters of all ages (and maybe encourage them to check out the Sound of Music).

Feelings Out started out as a Fluttercord writing excercise. I had to write a one-shot, using the prompt word, "answer".
At work, Arts of Life, my co-workers ran a Health and Witness class for my artists that talked about feelings. What they are and sharing how our friends make us feel or how we feel about ourselves. I thought their lesson sounded like the kind of friendship lesson that Twilight Sparkle would hold. And it's the kind of lesson that Discord would be forced to attend to make up for his betrayal and his behavior at the Gala! It felt rigt to add Fluttershy and the rest of the girls along with Spike, since they all earned their friendship thrones at Twilight's castle.

Phantom Dragon
Group Admin

That was very interesting thank for sharing and welcome to the group. :yay:

5277922 Thank you, Phantom Dragon.

Some more trivia about the Singing Heart.

1) I played with an idea of the kids running away after overhearing Chrysalis trying to send the girls to a boarding school after marrying Discord. They ran away because they had given up on trying to talk their father out of the horrible engagement. Discord found out that they ran away when he could not find the,pm in their nursery. He cancels the engage,en't with Chrysalis whe she showed apathy to his children. I canceled it in favor of the scene that I ended up with where the kids speak up and Discord being torn whther to cancel it or not.

2) This is for my audio drama version. King Mars was going to voice Discord. Unfortunately, he died from a heart attack. :applecry: :fluttercry: :fluttercry:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4