Equisverse 66 members · 25 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

To start this off, I'm not so sure if this group is just for lore or a bit of sciencey stuff. It's been bothering me and I'm sure at least a few of you for a while, but how much force would it actually take to move the moon? We see in one of one of the season's episodes when twilight gets the other alicorns' powers that she can almost effortlessly move the moon around the sky, and that would be impossible because she would have crushed it flat with that amount of force so quickly, but that aside, i'm going to get on with it, I calculated the force needed by using Newton's law of F = m*a (force equals mass times acceleration) to come up with 1859550000000000000000 Newtons. So, well, yeah I guess. If you would like to check my math I would very much appreciate it just in case I got some major part of it wrong or some minor part that threw off my end result.

popmannn
Group Admin

To start this off, I'm not so sure if this group is just for lore or a bit of sciencey stuff.

Yes.

how much force would it actually take to move the moon?

I have a convenient video for just such an occasion. But the simple answer is, any force. Just by standing on the moon and jumping, you would be applying a force to it and making it move. Sure, since you're mass is so low, and it's so high, you move a lot more than it does. But it does move.

On a this universe note, Luna doesn't actually move the Moon. Though it can be moved via its own internal Anti-Grav Generator, it's actually not. The most said generator does is hold it in a stable, non degrading orbit. (The Moon is slowly floating away.) Luna's link is to the power source in the moon, giving her her stupid amount of magic, just like how Celestia is connected to the artificial sun's power source. She just also controls its motion since it's Anti-Grav Generator has a fault control system and needs to be controlled manually.

Meep the Changeling
Group Admin

To start this off, I'm not so sure if this group is just for lore or a bit of sciencey stuff.

Who'se group do you think this is? XDD

5827233 ha! Good point!

5827150 oh, I see. But this begs the question, what happened to the sun and the moon?

popmannn
Group Admin

5827433 Pretty sure its been covered but if you haven't seen it, here is the short version. The Moon is just fine, it has a large space port built in it is all. There is a large foundry and space port on the Moon that was used by the Terran Empire. The facility Luna finds at the end of Nightmare: An Equestrian Tragedy, is said base. The Moon also had its core hollowed out and a special eternally self sustaining reactor was placed in it, as well as a generator capable of controlling local gravity as to be able to move it. It was done to keep it in a non degrading orbit and to be able to move the Moon and be used as a shield in case of an emergency.

As for the Sun, we aren't so sure. Near the end of the Terran Empire, they were attacked by one of the less friendly xeno races in the galaxy who managed to fire some sort of device into the Sun. It slowly, over the course of a few years, extinguished its stellar fusion. So, some how, the Sun became the Universe's first Brown Star (A stellar mass Brown Dwarf, which should be impossible). So it's still there, and all the planets in the system orbit it, but it is no longer undergoing fusion so no stellar radiation. Them crafty humans wouldn't let something like that slide though. They built a large hollow structure, twice the size of the Moon, twice as far out, and used it as an artificial sun. It has the same power source as the Moon, but all its juice goes to the object emitting the lost infrared, visible, and UV spectrum, basically making it an artificial star. Originally it also had an anti-grav generator to hold it in an orbit so that it would be in the same visible location as the original Sol, but the control system got damaged in the future and the unicorns, then Celestia, took over piloting it. Thus changing it's orbital plane and rotation for the current, longer Equestrian day.

This has been a brief lore run through, brought to you by me, popmannn.

5827707 I see. Turns out that I'm actually in the middle of nightmare: an equestrian tragedy, because I had some other stories I wanted to read first and frankly I kinda forgot about it until very recently. Thanks for that brief bit of lore, by popmann.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7