Tantabus 160 members · 27 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7
Evilworld
Group Admin

There been a spelling debate on Tantabus/Tantibus on the Internet. So I'm wondering which is the spelling more likely work for you Tantabus/Tantibus.
Like for Tantabus
Dislike for Tantibus.

Lunaexcelsior
Group Admin

I will sqy this once and for all: Tantibus is thr Latin word for nightmare, but, in the show, the creature is named Tantabus therefore the correct way of spelling the name of the creature is TantAbus. End of discussion

4542757 It's like Princess Cadance. The actual word is Cadence, however the pony's name is deliberately misspelled as Cadance.

Same here. The actual Latin word is Tantibus, but it's deliberately misspelled as Tantabus.

Lunaexcelsior
Group Admin

4542786 Indeed. I find it funny how people actually correct others for mispelling the name of a creature. It's. like of I corrected everybody who wrote 'everypony' instead of everybody.

"Tantabus" is actually a pun - "Tantibus" being the latin word for "nightmare", and "Tantalus" being the name of some legendary greek tyrant who invited the gods for a party and served them his son chopped up in a casserole.
The kid was brought back to live and Tantalus was smitten and sent to the Fields of Punishment, the ancient greek version of Hell, where he was punished the following way:
He had to stand in a pond of most deliciously clear and sparkly water, but everytime he crouched down to drink, it would go dry.
There were branches bearing the most wonderful, juicy, mouthwatering fruits in an arm´s reach, but everytime he wanted to eat, a strong wind would blow, and push the branches away from him.
Lastly, there was a giant rock, suspended by a thin piece of string over his head, and it always would nearly be falling.
So, Tantalus was punished by eternal thirst, eternal starvation, and the constant fear of boing smashed by a giant rock.

The (rightfully) terrible part of this was the constant awareness. He could always see the water, the fruits, the rock, he knows he should be able to reach the first two, but he can still not reach them, and the menace of the rock fills his heart with constant fear.
This bears some resemblance to Luna´s self-punishment: Hers was to remind herself every night what she had done, making her constantly aware of what she did, thus creating the Tantabus, a nightmare born from punishment by awareness.

4542843 I don't know, the comparison to Tantalus seems like kind of a stretch.

Now that I think about it, I agree, but when I watched the episode, that was what came to my mind immediately upon hearing that word.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7