Help With Your Story 104 members · 448 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2

Hello, people! I don't even know if the group is alive...

I am not a particularly new user on the site, and I am a somewhat experienced writer. The thing is, only now I feel confident enough to really try my hand writing something in the english-reading MLP-FIM fandom. (Well, I tried something an year or so ago, but it self-incinerated...)

Also, the brony fandom has become my favorite one, because I like the cartoon so much. Thus, I already have a couple of MLP stories, currently in the process of being translated and adapted, as some references don't really work to a mostly american reader base.

So, I will obviously appreciate assistance in the form of reviewing and editing, but first, I feel like I need to talk about certain ideas that may be unpopular in this fandom, and get a few opinions about the worth of publishing a story that is based on said ideas.

First, I'm confident that one particular winged and horned pony original character doesn't fall in the typical trappings of the dreaded Alicorn OCâ„¢. He is a well defined and thought of character, that hails from the times of season 1-2. There actually is a reason he is an alicorn, and he is played mostly for comedy and to serve as an anchor into the Princesses' life. The problem is, well... Alicorn, romantic interest of the princesses, outsider from Equestria. This seems to be a combination that people don't like, no mater what. Or am I wrong, and this sort of character can be accepted in a successful fic?

Second: most of my stories are 'alt universe', but a few of them can have a... 'Fix-fic' quality about them. While that isn't really isn't the intention, they can feel like that. Certain things in the cartoon don't make sense to me, and they are addressed in my stories. For example, Chrysalis, in my stories, wouldn't make a frontal assault on Equestria, because the changeling modus operandi is stealth, diversions, spying, sabotage. Most importantly, there just never was a Canterlot Wedding, because my chrysalis is Celestia's friend. She needed love and Equestria would give it for free. Most of the time, these things were born out of the fact that they exist in an universe created during season 3 and forward.

Another thing is that Celestia and Luna have a divine aura to them. Ponies aren't exactly sure what it is, but they are different. There is a creation myth story that explores that, but the biggest problem is that it disagrees with the cartoon's and expanded universe's lore. For example, the timeline of Discord's first appearance and the creation of Equestria, the fact that 'Equestria' is the whole world, and the whole way Celestia and Luna act like they loosely rule lands beyond the pony lands.

Now, I know that deifying alicorns is somewhat frowned upon, but it is made in a way that puts them on the same level with Discord, not in how powerful they are, but in a way that makes them more like they are parts of a larger whole, rather than having an overly powerful Celestia that that can smack a villain with the sun. Not that these characters aren't powerful, but that is secondary.

Can this sort of thing fly in this site? Personal opinion on this sort of thing?

Thanks. And sorry for the long post, literally

Your first point about Alicorns, is not because they're not decent characters it's just that they're overdone. Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing, like having a chocolate chip cookie every hour of every day for a week, people will get sick of it. Your second point about the whole alternate universe thing and how changelings wouldn't make a frontal assault, it's not their MO. You're right it's not, they're infiltrators however, they were incredibly DESPERATE. They were starving, you'd do crazy things for food if you needed it, that's the gap that I filled in with the whole cartoon, other than they just needed to make a new enemy to fight. Your third point is, yeah while Celestia and Luna have the ability to raise the sun and the moon and are essentially immortal by what it seems to be from the show's standpoint. They're not perfect and they're not omnipotent, they couldn't foresee all the things that happened because they're not gods, best bet would be that they're avatars of the sun and the moon charged with the task of keeping their representative celestial bodies in orbit, or that they're demigods. Not entirely gods, however not entirely mortal either. And they don't just loosely rule over Equestria or the planet, because of Queen Novo, Prince Rutherford, And Rain Shine of the kirin. However to all these points, they mean nothing if done well. An alicorn OC can fly if there's a really good reason behind it, but not a lot of people are going to take to it at first, I know people say don't judge a book by it's cover but that's what we really do, whether we admit it or not. Pull it off well and you might have a gem on your hands, if you don't then it's dead in the water. This is really one of those either or, and I've learned from a lot of trial and error.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2