Jurassic Bronies 132 members · 26 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

Greetings and salutations, my friends.

This is your top-of-the-line film, TV show, and episode reporter here with another review.

Today, I'm gonna give you guys my take of "Jurassic Park III".

Here's the rundown of this sequel:

A few years after the Isla Nublar incident, Dr. Alan Grant continues to work as a paleontologist in order to study dinosaurs. Working alongside Grant is Billy Brennan, taking the place of Ellie Sattler after she married and had a family years before.

In an unexpected turn of events, Grant and Billy are visited by a seemingly wealthy couple known as the Kirby's, who offer Grant a great sum of money if he'd be their guide on an aerial tour of Isla Sorna. However, what starts out as a simple tour suddenly turns into a fight for survival after the plane crashes and the passengers are stranded on the island. As if that isn't enough, it turns out that the Kirby's weren't being very truthful on why they wanted to come to Isla Sorna in the first place, who they are, and why they wanted to bring Grant along.

Will Grant and the others somehow leave Isla Sorna alive? Or will they perish?

Before I get into what I think of this movie, I'd like to comment that I'm well aware of the infamous reputation "Jurassic Park III" has. I remember reading that most people consider this installment the worst of the Jurassic franchise, and in the coming years I wondered if this movie would be as great as I remembered it being. Then again, that's why I decided to rewatched the movie in the first place.

Having rewatched "Jurassic Park III" some time around 2021, I will admit that I didn't think the movie was perfect.

The prime issue I had with this movie, personally, was that the pacing seemed kinda wonky and uneven compared to its predecessors. Throughout my time seeing it, I noted that it was incredibly quick and straightforward. This isn't what I necessarily consider a bad thing per se, but the problem is...the film felt so rushed that it either left certain elements underdeveloped or caused things to feel too abrupt. There were even moments in the editing that caused some of the scene-switching to seem awfully sudden.

Before I saw the movie again, I often found myself questioning the fight scene between the Spinosaurus and T-Rex. Even after rewatching it, I've still been questioning why that scene was ever there to begin with. The fight scene alone was definitely entertaining, and I could tell that the two dinosaurs were fighting because both were wanting to eat the humans. But, unlike the velociraptors vs T-Rex fight scene in the first movie, the fight between the T-Rex and Spinosaurus in "Jurassic Park III" didn't catty much in the ways of creative purpose or necessity. It merely seemed like it was...well, simply there.

Other than that, I've been wondering what happened to the boat crew at the beginning. I could definitely tell that they were attacked by something in the fog. But, what could've wrecked the boat and ate the crew? It also became tiring how, despite Grant constantly advising that no one should be shouting or yelling while on Isla Sorna, Billy and the Kirby's kept doing that anyway.

Outside of the flaws I mentioned, though, the film still proved itself to be fun and worthwhile.

The direction by Joe Johnston, and the story by Peter Buchman, Jim Taylor, and Alexander Payne, were all pretty well-done in their own way.

Regardless of everything I previously mentioned, Johnston definitely knew how to be faithful to the series and capture the overall Jurassic spirit while giving something of his own in the process. He ensured that everything would be far from predictable, and there were lots of surprises and thrills to be had throughout the film. Plus, the humorous moments were undeniably entertaining, and there was an emotional resonance and heart that helped the story be genuinely full of life. Stories about parents trying to find their children and reunite with them aren't uncommon, but it provided a great core for this movie and worked surprisingly well. As a matter of fact, I really can't think of any other logical reason for why anyone would want to go to the island in the first place.

The special effects were spectacular as well.

With this sequel being a product of the early 2000s, I could tell that the effects team managed to really improve the visuals of the dinosaurs while still being faithful and honorable to the film's predecessors. There are moments where the team's use of puppetry is a little too obvious, but it wasn't bad enough to put a damper on things.

Finally, the acting, characters, and character development were splendid.

Looking back, this was the very first motion picture I saw to feature William H. Macy and Trevor Morgan, because ever since I saw it I instantly recognized them in other movies. Even today, I believe that Macy's performance as Paul Kirby and Morgan's portrayal of Eric Kirby are among some of their best works. Tea Leoni also did a brilliant job performing as Amanda Kirby, especially with translating her as a three-dimensional and relatable character. On top of this, each member of the Kirby family had dynamic development.

Sam Neill was also fun to watch in his reprisal of Dr. Grant. He portrayed his character with great humor and professionalism, and it definitely looked like he was going all-out in ensuring his performance was better than his work in the first movie.

Having also read about what sort of stories were considered for the character in the film's development stages, I believe that Johnston and the writers did a great job at ensuring Grant was faithfully portrayed and that the impacts from his time on Isla Nublar wouldn't be lost on him. Grant himself developed perfectly throughout the film.

In conclusion, "Jurassic Park III" isn't what I'd classify as a perfect movie or the best in the Jurassic franchise. But, it still has great entertainment value to make it watchable and worthwhile. In short, this movie's pretty much among my list of guilty pleasures.

So, I rate "Jurassic Park III" 4 out of 5 stars.

To Joe Johnston, Steven Spielberg, Amblin Entertainment, and Universal Pictures: Whether this would be too much to ask of you guys is something I don't know, but...

Can you please create an extended version of this movie? Mainly by recovering and adding whatever footage was deleted?

The reason I'm asking this is because, while I do think "Jurassic Park III" was great, the choppy editing and quick runtime were all clear giveaways that too much footage was deleted and caused things to feel underdeveloped.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1