Equestrian Geography 101 28 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

Hello there.

Basically I like maps, and I like coming up with where various peoples and nationstates would work out on said map.

This is partially for headcanon, and partially for the story I'm writing that will one day have world travel for the characters. This place seemed like a good place to share my thoughts, and farm others for theirs. If anyone thinks I might be better served discussing this, just point me in the right direction.

=First order of business=

Firstly I like to think that the MLP universe loosely follows real-world geography. My reasoning for this is that the canon map we have of Equestria is clearly loosely based on the Geography of North America. Thusly it stands to reason that other landmasses out there resemble the other major landmasses of the world. This is where I'm basing most of my headcanon. WARNING: My thoughts are based on lots and lots of extrapolation based on very little.

That having been said, I will now document wild guesses on the geography and nation borders of the world of MLP.

=Greater Equestria=

Firstly the name. As I said, Equestria is largely based on N. America. So what of the continent in place of S. America? Well the thought that entered my mind is that the MLP versions of N. and S. America are likewise split between two continents, and are known as Greater Equestria (Equestria proper, the setting of the show) and Lesser Equestria (representing S. America) which I'll get to later.

From the show we can see that Equestria is a large country spanning from sea to sea. I like to think that its government is that of a confederation, each city we see seems to operate on its own terms, and seem to be largely self governing, with little outside interference. So they lack a strong federal government like the USA does. Canterlot is simply the designated capital of the confederation, and just has the powers to deal with international affairs, and to keep a national army to deal with national crisis. Celestia and Luna seem to have very little official power, we rarely see them deal with incidents directly, and its shown the public overreacts to their power. Probably their leadership is more concerned with the day/night cycle than running the nation. The various city-states of the Equestrian Confederation serve as models for financial and cultural success.

Greater Equestria seems to be largely dominated with the Nation of Equestria itself. But we do have the Crystal Empire. My theory is that the Crystal Empire was indeed a large empire that dominated the frigid north, holding land comparable to say Canada. But as time went on the mighty empire shrank, its various cities, such as potentially Vanhoover joined the Confederation of Equestria while the Crystal Empire's size waxed only to its capital and surrounding area before King Sombra's reign caused it to vanish 1000 years prior to the story. When it reemerged without leadership, its citizenry in a daze quickly agreed to be annexed by Equestria, and Shining Armor and Princess Cadence were placed on the empty throne.

We also have the city-state of Tenotichlan (or however I should spell that) far to the south. I like to think that the southern fringes of Greater Equestria are littered with several such city-states who have cool relations with the Equestrian Confederation.

We have the Kingdom of Yakyakistan. A frigid area far north even of the Crystal Empire. I'd place this country roughly where Alaska is, there peoples are known for a sparse lifestyle, and their warrior spirit. Largely isolationist.

Then there is the Queendom of the Changelings. A transient nation of Changelings, who disguise themselves amongst the populations of Greater Equestria. Currently incognito.

Lastly, we have Griffonstone. Home to the nation of Griffons. This location is more difficult to ascertain. Clearly in a mountainous region, which we have in both to the east, and west. Personally I place it to the east, where the Appalachians would be. Its unclear if Griffonstone, and its brief united Griffon Kingdom was independent of Equestria or not. I'd like to think that at its height it was independent, but when Griffonstone fell, most of the Griffon settlements were absorbed by Equestria, as evidenced by what seem to be Griffon citizens in Equestria, like in the Equestrian Games. But Griffonstone was treated as a foriegn locale when visited, and probably maintains its independence, perhaps with other Griffon communities unaligned with Griffonstone.

The only other areas we might have are in other dimensions, such as the home of the Breezies, or maybe Tarturus. Their impact on world relations is minimal.

Other possible locations and nations include (even purer speculation and head canon):

-A carribean location, filled with tropical islands, serves as a major area for trade, as well as areas for Pirates to prey upon. Possibly home to various underwater kingdoms of Kelpies or Hippocamps and Merponies.

-A Hudson bay area, filled with viking ponies, or other four-legged mammals, that are based on the shores and islands of the arctic sea. Or, instead, maybe they would be based on a Greenland/Iceland area to the northwest of Greater Equestria. Additionally some kind of Northern Pass that allows one to circumnavigate Greater Equestria.

-Various floating city-state akin to Cloudsdale that are independent of other nations.

-An area, natural or otherwise, akin to the Panama Canal, allowing access from one ocean to the other.

=Lesser Equestria=

Now we exit the land of 'loosely based on canon' to 'completely based on fanon'.

Lesser Equestria is based on South America, consisting of high mountains, dense jungles, swamps, and some plains.

Here I imagine the land being more loosely controlled than in Greater Equestria. On the coasts we might have wealthy ports acting as city-states, or perhaps having banded together to form various nations, the largest and most prosperous of these being Rio de Janeighro. The mountains on the west coast would be very wealthy in natural resources, being controlled either by various nations states like Tenotichlan, or in a unified empire, being the most dominant power on the continent aside from Rio de Janeighro.

The expansive jungles in the heart of the land could be home to various tribes, or perhaps its own unified power that is impossible to penetrate, controlled by some scary looking inhabitants, giant spiders or bat perhaps. Or Toucans, who knows. Their land would be home to various mysterious plants with a wealth of medicinal benefits awaiting discovery.

The plains on the south would be inhabited by many a pony, comprising a large region.

At the southern tip would be a very frigid land, that would have a high population of Penguins.

Lastly there might be a scientific reserve where the Galapagos would be, studying many a curious creature.

=Neighropa=

This region would be based off of Europe. Now for an extra peice of headcanon- Heathswarming Eve portrays a medieval society of Ponies who, due to the advance of the Wendigo's, search for a new land, that becomes equestria. After much extrapolation, I like to think that events happened in a way similar to the real worlds during the age of Exploration.

With their homelands being decimated by Wendigo's due to the infighting of their leadership, the Neighropan ponies left their home continent, and went on a mass exodus around the world. Instead of conquering and colonizing the indigenous people of the lands they came to though, they were instead treated as refugee's, and assimilated into the culture of their new homeland, explaining the presence of Unicorns, Earth Ponies, and Pegasi around the globe. Most other species joined the ponies, like Griffons and the like. I like to think that Cloudsdale, and potentially other Pegasi cities were moved straight from Neighropa across the ocean to Equestria.

However Neighropan civilization has lived on, alongside the infighting. Neighropa is seen as largely backwards and destitute, lacking behind the rest of the world in terms of progress, technologically, financially, and culturally. Winters are incredibly harsh, as the Wendigo's still roam the continent, but they are still subject to seasonal thaws that produce very mild summers. Wars are frequent, though short, with little ever lost or gained by the regional Kingdoms.

Nation-states of Neighropa include:

Mane: (Alternatively a horse pun for Iberia) A religious devoted community, who's subjects, and visitors, are frequently subjected to the inquisition.
-Maredrid (capital)

Prance: A kingdom who's doings are caught up with the finery of the nobility, who live in the highest luxuries they can afford, meanwhile the peasantry are subject to harsh laws.
-Cities: Praeri (capital)

Trottingham: An island nation that lives as a surveillance state, with the government spying on its populace for the slightest hint of noncomformity.
-Cities: Trottingham (capital), Edinbrae

Germaney: A heavily militarized kingdom at the heart of continent, who's people are subject to much nationalistic propaganda.
-Cities: Moonster

Romaneia: A so called empire or Pegasi who control the local sea, where most of the population is enlisted in the military in some capacity. Employs many mercenaries from many races.

Denmare: A peninsula that juts out into the north, its peoples take to the water, pirating and pillaging whatever they come across.

The Neighderlands: A small peaceful republic, that owes existence to ingenuity and being in a tactical location that no other country is willing to risk losing to the other. It is one of the few stable ports on the landmass, making it the most prosperous state in the area.
-Cities: Ramsterdam (captital)

Stalliongrad: A large country that dominates the eastern half of the continent, largely isolationist, it is removed from the squabbles the other countries suffer from, it has rather cold relations with Equestria.
-Cities: Stalliongrad (capital)

Alongside this in the local sea there are several islands that many non-pony's make their homes, like Minotarus, and Centaurs, and the like. They are small but egalitarian societies that are typically disinterested in the politics of the region so long as their safety is maintained.

=Saddle-Arabian World=

The part of the world that equates the islamic world on a real map, consisting of N. Africa, the Middle East, etc.

The area is very stable, and facilitates trade from continent to continent making it very wealthy, despite the harsh environment it lies on.

Saddle Arabia: One of the largest countries in the area, also one of the wealthiest and most stable. Has warm relations with Equestria.

Marerocco: Located to the west, has a long coastline, and most goods in the world pass through its ports at some point.

Purrsia: Located to the east. Home to... cat people maybe.

=Sub-Saharan Africa=

As you can see I'm running out of names. The area that consists of what would be Sub-Saharan Africa.

The Zebra Nation: The worlds largest and most powerful superpower, it leads the world in technology, wealth, and standards of living, dominating the continent.

The Lion Kingdom: A kingdom lying on the border to the northeast, it is lauded for its strong warriors and just rule.

Mozambeak:

=Asia=

An enormous landmass home to many empires-

-Some form of Mongolian empire of Ponies, who dominate the steps

-The many and varied Elephant kingdoms of the south.

-The Dragon Empire

=And thats as much as I have=

Let me know what you guys think of the ideas I had, and any that you yourself might have. If you have your own ideas, let me know, if I think they are good enough, I'll revise the list. If anyone wants to use this as a basis to their own fanfiction then feel free to.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1