The oc Bookshelf!! 21 members · 15 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2
Dance Cloud
Group Admin

Hi there! I am not sure how many friends should my oc typically have. I have alot of oc's and I like giving pride and effort into them but I feel like my main oc should probably have 2 friends. Or more... I'm not really sure because I don't really know how to manage character development with the amount of friends my oc has or will have.

What's a good range of ponies any average oc could be best friends with?

4812498 That is an interesting question! :twilightsmile:

I would answer with a rhetorical question: what's a good range of people any average person could be best friends with? :raritywink: Try to think of your OC as an actual person. Some people are hermits, others are social butterflies. I, personally, would say I have about seven people I consider best friends (as in, I would do nigh literally anything for them), and many other friends that follow close on their heels. Now, do I interact with those seven people every day of my life? Nope!

Your character can have as many friends as seems appropriate, and you don't have to write them in every chapter. If your concern is character development, then I'd recommend starting how we all start—small and then we grow from there. Social circles fluctuate and friendships develop over the course of our lives. If you want to start your story later in the character's life, for example, then introduce the friends they have naturally. A reader doesn't need to know every detail of their life from the get-go and don't mind learning and exploring your character over the course of the story!

For example, your character might wake up and get ready for the day... and realize they promised Pony A that they'd meet for breakfast, and they're already late, so they hurry on to the cafe. Pony A teases them in a familiar, good-natured way about how "Oh, OC, you're never on time, are you?" and a reader can infer a longterm relationship from that. Pony A mentions that Pony B has "finally gotten a band together." OC smiles and says, "Wow, really? That's great! He's been working so hard on that! When is their first gig?" And now we know that OC has friends Pony A and Pony B.

I don't know if any of that helps, so if not, let me know and I'll try again... :twilightsheepish:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2