The (Dead) Unofficial FAQ Group 48 members · 5 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14
SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

I kinda totally totally rewrote that section of the faq. (Er, mostly. The first question is pretty close to the original, and there might be others.)

There are new questions, some have been merged together, some were deleted, and a lot of the text was just rewritten by me, though some of it's still from the original. It covers a lot of stuff that wasn't in the original, including site bugs that everyone should know about that uses groups, since they've been around for a long time. (The posting new threads bug and the creating new folders (which are subfolders) bug, mainly.)

If you feel like it, maybe you could go over here and tell me if you see any changes that need to be made. It'd be really helpful.

This is a first draft, really.

--Sweetie Belle

As of right now, the only change I would make is a minor addition to this section:

I can’t post to a thread I wanted to in the group’s forum!!

There are a couple possibilities:

First, did you join the group? You can’t post to groups you haven’t joined.

Second, does the thread have a lock by it? That means it’s locked, and no one can post to it.

You might click back on the forum and see if the thread is still there. Maybe someone deleted it while you were typing.

You could also be banned from the group. If you have a “Join” button instead of a “Leave” button on a group you know you’re a member of, click it and if you are banned, it’ll tell you. Talk to the admins of the group if this is the case.

Unless I'm mistaken, you also can't post to a thread if the original poster of that thread has blocked you.

Edit: I was mistaken.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

I've never been blocked or blocked anypony, so I've never had that happen. I can add it, but has anypony here had that happen to them, or know for sure on that? And would that be posting in the thread, or replying to them?

I suppose I could also experiment, and make sure that way.

--Sweetie Belle

If you want to block me to experiment, go ahead. I won't become too sad.
:fluttershysad:

If it helps any, I know from recent personal experience, that if an author blocks you, you cannot make a comment on their story(intended behavior). However, if they comment in reply to you, you still receive a notification and this continues to happen even if you block them.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Well, if you don't mind, I just blocked you, and I'm trying to reply to your post...

I'll unblock you soon.

--Sweetie Belle

Make a new thread to test?

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

I can see it and reply to it...

I just replied to a thread I remembered that you created. Don't think blocking actually does much.

--Sweetie Belle

While I am still blocked by you, make a new thread in this group, and see if I can reply to it.

Attempting to reply to your PM resulted in an error popup "Failed to send PM."

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

I'm guessing that's all blocking somepony does, then.

--Sweetie Belle

Well, the three known effects of blocking are: cannot send PM, cannot comment on any story, cannot comment on any blog.

Forums are "public space" though, and one person blocking another has no impact on it. Blocking keeps them out of your personal space only.

It is sort of annoying that notifications still happen, but that isn't specifically a bug, but might be worth bringing up as a reasonable change.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

I think I'm gonna put that in as an faq, and include that it doesn't block you from posting in or replying to threads. It seems like something that should be in there. Probably not tonight, tho'.

And yeah, seems like something that ought to be changed...

--Sweetie Belle

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Actually, I'd better fix the main FAQ, too. It says:

Your best friend here is the block tool. You can find this in the dropdown below and to the right of their name on their userpage. This will prevent them from sending you further private messages or commenting on anything you make.

Obviously, that's not quite right. The bit 'bout commenting on anything you make is directly from the official version, tho'.

--Sweetie Belle

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14