Classic Literature Lovers 74 members · 107 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8
Inazuma
Group Admin

This is a question that has been bugging me since Middle School. Personally I say yes but let's think about this for a moment.
Now before you say "No. Comics are a byproduct of the modern era and only contains super-powered beings". True I won't deny that the vast majority of today's comics focus on superheroes and such but that is only half the truth. But there's a keyword: today, remember that.
If we were to look back a ways comics has been around a long time and introduced to many memorable characters such as Popeye, Betty Boop and others even before costumed heroes.
But back to my point, comics are different in that they are visually driven and tend to be easier to read and these days that counts for a lot.
Using our keyword today: We can see a ton of classic literature being transcribed into comic book/graphic novel format for today's younger generation. For example: two years ago I went to the book/magazine section of a store and I found sitting among Shonen Jump and Sports Illustrated one of the oldest, most famous, most universal books in history: The Bible in its entirety from Genesis to Revelations in comic book format. That got me thinking again, if a person can put a book like the Bible in comic book format does this mean comics/graphic novels are the ultimate form of literature? Can any story at anytime be turned into a comic/graphic novel and by doing so would it make it to some extant better than the original version?

What do you think?

4106027 Comic books are the great greek myths and tales of the modern times. So yeah I agree with ya.

Inazuma
Group Admin

4106038 Thank you. I too agree with your analogy. I also believe to a extant that video games could also fall under this category.

4106056 To a degree. Video games yes. Depending on what the game maybe based around.

Inazuma
Group Admin

4106067 True but even if they aren't based on anything some games have the potential, for example: The Resident Evil series (i don't think they are based on anything) has the potential of an epic book series.

The entire Final Fantasy universe (while only two games I know of are based on anything in real life) borrows heavily from many mythologies from many cultures.

Metal Gear Solid need I really say more?

Inazuma
Group Admin

4106107 Thanks, I try. That just leaves the question if anything on the internet has that same potential. I can think of at least three.

4106038 Yes, Greek but also Egyptian, Nordic, and countless others as well. The difference of course is intent a comic book is usually intended to be entertainment while an ancient myth was made by ancient people to explain certain phenomena. Regardless of intent though comics like ancient myths have had a powerful impact on the culture by creating a sort of modern mythology where even though people recognize that it is make believe the fun is in suspending disbelief enough to enjoy the story for it is. Of course this dosen't mean abandoning a critical eye entirely which is a point I often make when I bring up certain flaws in MLP for example but it is some sense does make the "myths" real.

Another thing comics as well as various other modern stories is that many of them also have certain morals and lessons which ones depend on what story. Many comic book super heroes for example have a very strict code of honor and one of the most common tenets of this is to either rarely or never use lethal force against their enemies.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8