PC Gamers 98 members · 13 stories
Comments ( 18 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 18

I'm really looking for a good scare from a good game, with a lot of guns. I've been trying to find a horror game in my current library for a bit, but the scariest game I have is F.E.A.R. 2 on the 360, which, albeit completely and utterly heart-attack-inducing when it wants to be, is standard FPS action most of the time.

Anyone know any good horror/survival horror with a helping of shooters/fighting? I'm fairly familiar with those types of games, having played a fair bit of Dead Space, Condemned, and—as previously mentioned—F.E.A.R. 2 (as well as others that weren't really scary, like Resident Evil 5), but unfortunately I've played all of these on the 360, with sub-par sound. I'd like to play some horror/survival horror-fighting/shooters on the PC now that I've become a fan of said platform, with great headphones and great sound.

Any ideas?

5275820 S.T.A.L.K.E.R

Cheeky breeki for life

5275851 Just read up on it for a bit. Sounds a little reminiscent of Metro, another good, novel-based survival FPS game.

Fallout: New Vegas, while not strictly horror, has plenty of scary moments.

Both the *immediate and present threat* (AHH! Deathclaw!) and the *insidious past events* (What happened to the people in this vault?) types.

Even though guns are prevalent, you don't *have* to use them. You can try to sneak by unseen for an added challenge.

DH7
DH7 #5 · Jun 5th, 2016 · · 1 ·

Fallout: New Vegas, while not strictly horror, has plenty of scary moments.

No. Just no.

Citing deathclaws as a legitimate scare is like citing Emerald Weapon in FFVII as a legitimate scare. You seem to have just taken the opportunity to plug one of your favorite games regardless of actual relevance.

5276086 Try fighting Feral Ghouls in the subway during the middle of the night. Then we'll see where you stand on Fallout not being scary.

Though there aren't many games with good scares that feature a lot of gunplay.

-Original Resident Evil
-All three F.E.A.R. games
-Grey
-Cry of Fear
-Most Silent Hill games
-Condemned 1 and 2
-Many games in the Alien vs. Predator franchise

Those are just off the top of my head.

DH7

5276151 You must think I'm speaking as someone who dislikes the game, or hasn't played much of it. I've spent a lot of time in them there metro tunnels.

No. Not scary. In fact, if I were to pick out a FO moment that belonged in a horror game, it would be finding the savage deathclaw at the Museum of Witchcraft at low level. This is your thread though, and you're the one asking for scary games, so if you think it counts, then it counts.

My favorite horror game would have to be the original Silent Hill, but I'm biased as fuck. I've got nostalgia goggles. I wouldn't call it a game with a lot of gunplay, though. On the hard difficulty setting, trying to kill everything is a waste of time, and damn near suicidal. Clearing out the enemies instead of fleeing still remains a viable option on lower difficulty settings, but aside from the controls simply being on an RE level of horrible, Harry barely knows which way to point a damn gun, and it's just not very action-oriented at all and to be honest. That's a huge departure from F.E.A.R. 2, which effectively functions as a good FPS along with being a Horror game.

Alan Wake is a wonderful shooter with great atmosphere and an intriguing story, but scary it is not. It's a horror game alright, and the horror aspect does add to the atmosphere and feel of the game, but it's no Amnesia: The Dark Descent. The gameplay, however, is very unique, and you've got to make good use of a limited arsenal. I'd say that this is somewhere between survival-horror and action-horror.

Someone up-thread mentioned Dead Space 2 and 3. I need to finally give those a game. I thought the first one was an excellent game, though not nearly as scary as it's reputation would imply, but then again, that's probably why he mentioned 2 and 3. I'll have to find out for myself.

I still haven't played any of the Fatal Frame games, nor Internal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, which is almost criminal for a self-professed fan of horror games.

5276215 IMHO fighting ghouls in the metro is damn scary. And as someone who has beaten the campaigns of both Fallout 3 and 4 and currently playing New Vegas, deathclaws are not scary, just annoying—and infuriating in FO4.

I've seen playthroughs of an Indonesian horror came (called DreadOut) that ripped off pretty much the entirety of Fatal Frame, but I know nothing about FF itself. I'll have to look into that.

Even thought Silent Hill 4: The Room was met with rather low reception compared to its predecessors, I thought it was a fucking terrifying game, and it had lots of melee and shooting alike.

Yeah, I've played Dead Space, and while scary at first, the Necromorphs eventually lend more to action than scariness (Or maybe it's just that I tend to find FP horrors far scarier than TP horrors).

I've played a bit of Alan Wake, and honestly, Bioshock was scarier.

Good for you, now be nice.

DH7

Even thought Silent Hill 4: The Room was met with rather low reception compared to its predecessors, I thought it was a fucking terrifying game, and it had lots of melee and shooting alike.

I've come to respect the game far more than I used to. It was disappointing for those of us expecting the same formula, but it really does stand on it's own as a unique entry in the series. While Henry Townsend is easily the worst protagonist in the series, Walter Sullivan is easily the best antagonist.

My biggest complaint is that I don't think you should have been able to go back to the apartment so frequently, as that broke up the tension. However, that part of the game redeems itself once the curses start kicking in. Not to mention that it's the only game I've played where immortal enemies come through the walls to get you.

And in my opinion, I think a lot of the games from that list are too action-focused to be scary. I mean, I've always hated F.E.A.R. for the, in my opinion, very weak scares, and the Alien vs. Predator games are only sorta tense at best during the marine campaigns. There's a difference between what is truly scary and what pretends to be scary by throwing a lot of darkness and big musical stings at you while still leaving you capable of defeating anything at any time (Dead Space is a fine example of the latter).

I haven't played the first game, but you've pretty much summed up how I feel about F.E.A.R. 2, though the lack of scares didn't make me hate the game. I still found it to be a good shooter, and the horror theme at least insured that it didn't come up looking like a COD clone. That's the trouble I have with a lot of FPS games, differentiating one from the other.

I have to admit to being really disappointed though. The trailer made it look like it was going to make me shit my pants. No underwear was soiled that day.

I've played a bit of Alan Wake, and honestly, Bioshock was scarier

It's not even remotely scary, though I have to admit feeling a little tense once I realized that enemies respawn, and could end up behind me at any time. However, there are really only a few places out in the wilderness that feel like that, and even that tension is broken up by the frequency of checkpoints/havens.

The game holds this weird place of being a horror-themed game that I would recommend to just about anyone, but not for the scare-factor.

And yes, Bioshock is scarier, and that's not even a scary game it'self (save for maybe, the very first time you run into a splicer.)

Bud, I disagreed with you on a web-forum. Welcome to the Internet.

Bud, I disagreed with you on a web-forum. Welcome to the Internet.

To "welcome" someone implies a degree of civility and kindness that you have not demonstrated.
There are ways to disagree without being a twit about it.

Now please cease bothering me.
Thank you.

DH7

Now please cease bothering me.

You don't get to respond to me and then tell me to stop bothering you. I have a right to address some of the things you've said in your last post, and you have a right to do the same. If one of us wants the conversation to end, then the onus is on us to be the one to stop responding to the other guy.

To "welcome" someone implies a degree of civility and kindness that you have not demonstrated.

Oh boy, your sarcasm meter must be broken. I obviously meant, 'welcome to the Internet' in the same way I'd say, 'Welcome to Fallout 4' after someone had just gotten gangbanged by a horde of ghouls. 'Welcome to . . .' is a common phrase used in that regard, but I think you already know that.

I was trying to emphasize the fact that you are going to have your opinion challenged on the Internet, few people are going to walk on egg-shells while doing so, and some will even be legitimately nasty to you.

There are ways to disagree without being a twit about it.

You're officially the only person in the thread that has resorted to name-calling. You say that I'm being 'unkind, and uncivil', but really, you read far more hostility and vitriol into my first comment than what was actually there. You simply didn't like what I had to say.

Let's dissect that first comment of mine, shall we?

No. Just no.

This statement is assertive, but not rude.

Citing deathclaws as a legitimate scare is like citing Emerald Weapon in FFVII as a legitimate scare.

I can't honestly see anything 'uncivil' about this. I'm simply using a well-known game as an example to prove a point. That point being, that lots of non-scary games have a 'holy-mother-of-god, what the hell is that thing?!' moment. For FFVII, it's scouring the ocean floor, only to accidentally bump into one of the two hardest bosses in the game. It's like accidentally running into Chtulhu at the bottom of the sea.

You seem to have just taken the opportunity to plug one of your favorite games regardless of actual relevance.

Now I can honestly see why you'd be a little miffed by this statement, but I'm not being mean here. I'm calling out your motivation for using Fallout as an example in this thread. Either of the two following responses would have been appropriate:

"No, no, I really do think that Fallout is one of the scariest games I've ever played!'

Or

"You got me, I'm a huge Fallout fan, and simply couldn't help myself."

Instead, your reply was:

Good for you, now be nice.

Where in the love of all that is good and holy was I actually being mean?

In any case, I must thank you for bumping this topic up. Fimfiction has been rather boring lately, I'm sick of discussing politics with people, and a gaming discussion is nice change.

Bud, I pointed out how to state an opinion without being a jerk. Welcome to reality.

Now goodbye.

DH7

Bud, I pointed out how to state an opinion without being a jerk. Welcome to reality.

Kudos for re-writing my own line, but in all fairness . . . no, you didn't point out anything. You simply accused me of being a jerk. I could point out ways that my first comment could have been written in a manner that's more bubbly than blunt, but should I really have to do that? Should I really be extra-special worried about whether or not a random person will be offended if I don't write in the manner that Pinkie Pie speaks?

It kind of feels like you're trying to get offended by everything I say. Look man, I'm sorry that your feelings were hurt, but I've no wish to make an enemy of you, and I never did.

Comment posted by MagicKnight55 deleted Jul 13th, 2018
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 18