Dogs: Man's Best Friend 63 members · 14 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

I'm getting a dog and I'm not sure any recommendations?

Celestias Paladin
Group Admin

Depends on the environment, your free time, and what the shelters or rescue groups have. Sometimes just going to the ASPCA, Humane Society, County shelter will help.

4480855 Go to animal planet's website. They have TONS of videos and quizzes you can do to help you pick the dog that works best for you. ^^

Personally, I love Shetland Sheepdogs [prepare for a long-winded rant on my favorite breed]. They're incredibly easy to train, smart, cute, and best of all great family dogs. Both the Shelties we've had have been amazing. Sweet, laid back around us, but willing to get out and play whenever we want. They're incredibly devoted to their families which can be a slight problem if you don't socialize them properly (they will become very shy around strangers if improperly socialized, not aggressive at least mine aren't, but shy). But, because of that devotion, I never ever worry about my Sheltie running away. These dogs want to be around the family 24/7 and have next to no desire to "do their own thing." Whatever you are doing, that's what they think they're doing. XD I let mine off the leash and he'll walk right next to me or a little ahead, pausing and looking back to make sure I'm there. I take mine sledding in the winter off leash and he just loves it.

The big thing you need to know about Shelties is that they bark. Like, you can't avoid this, it's wired into their little brains to bark themselves sick if they hear any random noises, when you come home, when they're playing, when their outside and the list goes on. Different strains will have different levels of barking. My first Sheltie was relatively quiet, but my current one rarely shuts up. They have a lot of hair that needs to be brushed. NEVER shave a Sheltie! They don't get their full ruff until they're about 3 and if you shave it off it will never come back and always look terrible. Some of them have these teddy bear ears that are to die for cute! My current one has them. They are prone to eye problems, my first had a big eye cyst develop. I check my Sheltie's eyes once a month with a light to catch any growths early so they can be removed asap.

Don't buy Shelties from toy or miniature stains. Health problems and small dog syndrome! Mine were both bought from the larger, almost herd size stock at a small breeder's house (NOT a puppy mill, but a family that raises like 1 litter a year). Look for ones with parents who are at least 30 pounds themselves. Make sure you see both parents (also good to check how much barking they do) for personality traits and the like. Shelties are herd dogs, event those bred as pets. They will herd children, wildlife, cats, other dogs, and sometimes inanimate objects. This herding generally involves playful nipping at the heels (they're not trying to hurt you, they're trying to drive you). They make good family dogs as I said before and, if raised around young children do very well. Plus, the size of their jaw makes their bite pressure much less than the average dog, thus, even if they are scared so much that they bite (this has NEVER happened to me, but it's always a possibility with animals) they will do a lot less damage.

So, that's my summary on my personal favorite breed. ^^ It's up to you to decide which one is best for you and your life situation.

Dancewithknives
Group Admin

4480855 if you can tolerate my humor, ive compiled small profiles on dogs here.

Like 4480875 said, its mainly what you have available, your environment, and dedication. Personally, for an all purpose dog I would reccomend a dachshund. I have two and both have never bitten anyone, can be playful and energetic, or chill out all day. While mine can't stop barking at people, they would never bite, unlike what the video said on dogs 101. The key to that is to take tous away and touch them when they eat at a young age in order to get them not skittish about being touched or approached if frightened. In short, to break the bite reflex.

Celestias Paladin
Group Admin

4481132 has a good suggestion, of course I'm partial to dachshund as well.

But the big thing like 4480960 said, don't get them from a puppy mill. Inbreeding and a shit ton of other issues will pop up. Try a shelter first then a reputable breeder, main thing is do your research.

if you can tolerate my humor, ive compiled small profiles on dogs here.

there's no link

Dancewithknives
Group Admin

4650292 just look at all of the forum threads.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8