Species of Equestria 421 members · 593 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

First of all, I'd like to point out that just because I'll talk about anthros, doesn't mean I'm a furry. I just like the idea of half-human characters is all.
Now, I start to think of diamond dogs as anthros and I've begin to think a little more deeply about that. Right now I'm wondering if anyone has used the idea of diamond dogs to use anthros in their stories - I mean they are, aren't they? I feel that I'm one of the few who think that there's a little more to the dogs than we think.
For one, I think that "diamond dogs" is just a gang name. So I'm wondering what should be the race name (and before you say "anthro", I was hoping for something that would fit in canon.) Then secondly, where are the other dogs? The ones we see can't be the last of their race... can they?
And I think their could possibly exist some other species like them. Maybe cats...

But enough about my thoughts. What do you think? Agree or disagree with anything? Have your own diamond dog headcanon? Share it.

First of all, I'd like to point out that you are a furry. Because a furry is somebody who likes the idea of half-human characters. That's all it means.

I've had almost exactly the same thoughts about Diamond Dogs (and I expounded on that a little in Black Angel). I think they're gnolls. They remind me of my days fighting my way through Blackburrow in Everquest. The gnolls in EQ were dog-like, wore shabby armor, and lived underground in a maze of caverns and tunnels. So, when I saw the Diamond Dogs in FiM, I saw gnolls. I figure "Diamond Dogs" is just the name of their gnoll clan, and there are also Rock Hounds, Blackburrow Gnolls, Frostfang Gnolls, etc, etc.

Cat people would make a lot of sense in FiM. Way back in the 1980s, in MLP G1, the ponies faced off against Queen Katrina, who was a humanoid feline. (We never saw another cat person, but you had to figure where there was one there must be more of them.) There were also lizard men, and troggles, and bushwoolies. . . and humans, and at least one gnome. Lots of sentient species.

a furry is somebody who likes the idea of half-human characters. That's all it means.

You wish it was that simple :) For some, the label of furry carries an implicit connection to the furry fandom, and it's possible to like anthro characters without identifying as a member of that fandom.

Let's get one thing clear for everyone here I'm not a yif (and if you don't know those are they're the furry equivalent of cloppers).
4744578 Now getting back to you, I don't consider myself a furry because I don't roleplay, do a lot of anthro art or stories, or connect with other furries - I just like the idea of half-human characters. I feel like calling myself a furry would be like considering myself an anime fan when really, I was into Naruto. Plus, WAY too many people get the wrong idea about furries for me to be comfortable with the label. At least as a brony, I have a show for kids to associate with and furries have... the internet and that doesn't really help.
Now back to MLP.

Queen Katrina sounds like a character I'll have to look into. I write past gen crossovers occasionally and that sounds like an interesting idea so thanks for bringing that up.
I just wish MLP would stop neglecting other races like the diamond dogs and just explain a little more about them.

In the beginning of FiM, there was a thread of Tolkien-esque high fantasy running through it. This had its roots all the way back in MLP G1, and Lauren Faust admitted looking to Tolkien for inspiration in some elements of FiM (for example, Everfree Forest = Fangorn). It seems to me that element of epic-ness has faded over the years and seasons, and FiM has moved more toward slice-of-life stories and Looney Tunes style humor.

That's one reason why EqG rubs me the wrong way. It's really the antithesis of the high fantasy themes that I wanted to see more of. And if we'd been given FiM movies instead of EqG movies, those could have been a great platform for developing more epic stories and more world-building.

4745392 You know, that's the same reason I equate MLP to Adventure Time. At first, the series looked like it would be like a high-fantasy but slowly became a comedy SOL. But the thing about both of these shows that I've noticed is that they like to go back to that high-fantasy grand feel during specials, season premieres or finales.

4744741 By fandom, do you mean that stuff I was talking about earlier - forums and art?

Even the FiM two-part season openers and finales have gone downhill, in my opinion. Nightmare Moon, Discord, Chrysalis. . . those were great. But the Crystal Empire was a toy commercial, and Sombra is barely a shadow of Grogar, the G1 villain he was loosely modeled after. And then they jumped the shark with Tirek, where it seemed like they were channelling Dragonball Z. DBZ is not epic. (Not in the way that Samurai Jack was, for example.)

By fandom, do you mean that stuff I was talking about earlier - forums and art?

It's more the furry community that I'm talking about. For some, the label of "furry" implies being a part of that community. As you say, you don't connect with other furries, so I wouldn't consider you one.

4746644 I feel like the episodes are getting better. Season 3 specials are, I guess, "the worst" out of the season specials. Jumping the shark, though? It feels too early to tell. I just thought they were giving everyone the episode they thought that Magic Duel would be.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9