Equestrian Scale Modelers Society 51 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7
Nova_Blast
Group Admin

Use this thread to share potential project ideas or designs for locomotives and rolling stock, whether it's a real life proposed design that was never built, something completely in the realms of fiction. or even something based on the world of MLP:FiM

L.N.E.R. (U.K.) two car diesel railcar (Circa:1946)

Intended to replace the aging ex-NER auto trains and other small steam hauled branch line services, this proposed diesel rail-car was submitted in the 1940s with its bodywork design being derived from the 1938 Glossop and Shenfield EMUs with the underframe and power unit derived from the GWR railcars of the 1930s.

It most likely would been built by Metro Cammell (as per the EMUs) and powered by engines from AEC. power would have been transmitted to the bogies via an external cardan shaft and a four speed gear box allowing for a top speed of 40–45 mph (64–72 km/h) in low gear and 60–70 mph (97–113 km/h) in high in both directions.

The livery would most likely have been green & cream in-keeping with the rest of the LNER’s self propelled coaching stock fleet.

this model could potentially be constructed from a couple of old Hornby OO scale GWR railcars as donors, with the majority of the bodywork being cut away and a new body and interior being scratch built.

of course you could also make the entire thing from scratch

Hmm i may have go at this as i have a triang hornby hymek im the spares box which I can easily use for a donor chassis i could easily make some new side panels out of plasticard and besides i need a LNER suburban set and i don't have the money to buy a N2 or a kit for the A5-8.

Funny you should mention fictional/might-have-been locomotives and rolling stock, because I've actually built a fair number of fictitious engine designs in my time. One of my personal favourites would undoubtedly have to be the Great Eastern Railway P75 Pacific, basically a stretched version of the original S69 4-6-0 with a watercart tender. If anyone's interested in seeing what it looks like, I can upload a photo.

Ahhaa, im not yet noticed about that thread. I have many of blueprints about russian-soviet rolling stock, especially 750mm narrow-gauge ones. But first i must share my vision of standard passenger car, what have Royal Equestrian Railways:

Its not yet final designt, i think that window tops must be fully round and roof must be more round, almost egg-shaped.

Something are visible too about that project but aim not work with that long time and use my time more for sceneries and pony houses.

(I have lot of blueprints of finished pony houses to and some, what not yet started - its good idea to share them too, to here and to Deviantart?)

Nova_Blast
Group Admin

5423308 if you're perhaps looking for pre-made carriage components to help your projects along, you can always try the British firm Dart Castings

further up in the page I've linked, they also sell components to aid in scratch building wagon chassis', including "W-irons" (the sub-structure containing the bearing and springs that attaches to the frame of the wagon)*, turned brass bearings (a must for good running).

meanwhile further down you will find additional non-functional details, such as cast leaf-springs and axle boxes. Even WINDOW CURTAINS!

There are also kits for sprung corridor connections between carriages

but don't just take my word for it, feel free to see for yourself and have a browse for any additional items that may be of use

*you may see some W-irons listed as being "compensated" this means that one set (out of two) pivots from side to side, allowing it to handle rough track, compensate for any alignment errors in the chassis, and generally improving the performance of the wagon.

also, I must ask, are you from Germany?

5421328 PLEASE DO! :pinkiehappy:

Nova_Blast
Group Admin

The LNER's proposed 8-coupled locomotives

over the years I've found myself becoming more and more smitten with "supersized" engines (maybe my american friends are a bad influence on me :derpytongue2:), as such any unusually large engine usually catches my eye, often with the intent to build models of them

Gresley, Peppercorn, or Thompson. 4-8-2 (1938, 1946/7)

Sir Nigel Gresley's short lived vision of a super heavy passenger loco, brought to life using some photoshop trickery

A line drawing of Thompson or Peppercorn's reimagining of Gresley's vision

this monster of an engine (by British standards :twilightsheepish:) came about from the necessity for, as with many designs, the need for a more powerful engine, originally it started out as simply an LNER A4 (Mallard's class) with a boiler pressure of 270psi, but as the idea developed it was realised that the answer to maintaining average speed over gradients came in the form of adding an extra drive axle.

unfortunately it was not to be, WW2 was soon declared, putting a stop to any new locomotive projects. the revival of the project didn't get much success either, as by the time Edward Thompson and later Arthur Peppercorn had put their own spin on the design, each one disregarding the last, the four major railways were nationalised and Robert Riddles was now the Chief Mechanical engineer, and he was a Midland man so he disregarded the concept completely.

Thompson/Peppercorn 4-8-4 (1946/7)
Information on this loco is few and far between, with next to none existing on the internet, but considering that there was already an 8 coupled passenger loco planned it most likely would have been designed as a super-heavy freight loco in order to see steam out until electrification took over.

It probably would have utilized the same extended pacific-boiler & firebox utilized on the I1 4-8-2. but utilizing the Cylinders, motions and 4 ft 8 in wheels used on the Thompson O1 2-8-0. the trailing wheels would probably have been arranged similarly to the W1's double-truck arrangement, with a single cartazzi truck and an separate swing-link directly behind (technically making it a 4-8-2-2)

Gresley P10 2-8-2T (1930)

This engine very nearly was, it was designed to replace the aging R1 0-8-2Ts on Yorkshire coal trains,and a set of frames was even built, so technically it actually existed (a locomotives existence being defined by the frames). However the build kept being put off, until the decision was made to abandon the project and allocate regular 2-8-0 tender locos to the area instead

Peppercorn T2 4-8-0 (1946/7)

This locomotive came from a need for an increase in power on the hilly highland lines, so Peppercorn took the K1 2-6-0 and essentially stretched it, giving it a 4 wheel front bogie and adding an extra 5ft 2in driving wheel. the boiler and firebox would have been an unusual combination by LNER standards, with the round-top firebox from a B1 coupled with a 5'6 diameter boiler tapering to 5ft at the smokebox.

the result would be a true mash of designs, with components from a B1, K1 and O2 coming together to form a locomotive not too dissimilar to a GWR Night Owl

The K1 mogul, basis of the T2

for the unclassified locos, namely the 4-8-2 and 4-8-4, there are a number of options. the LNER usually allocated a letter to a given wheel arrangement, but by 1948, a number of letters were unallocated, either due to never being allocated in the first place, or due to locomotives of that wheel arrangement being withdrawn by that time. there are as follows in alphabetical order:

"H", with the last 4-4-4 tank engines going in 1947.
"I", being unallocated to any class between 1923 and 1948
"M", with the last of the 0-6-4Ts being withdrawn in 1948.
"R", with the sole class of 0-8-2Ts being withdrawn in 1934.
"X", with the last of the Single wheelers gong in 1937

Mod note: I personally like to think that the the 4-8-4 and 4-8-2 would be classified "H" and "I" respectively, to keep them grouped close together

Nova_Blast
Group Admin

Riddles lost "Standards"
Robert Riddles "Standard" locomotives were the final chapter in British locomotive design, literally designed to be the "end of the line" for British steam and even intended to last right up until the dawn of the new millennium (most steam locomotives had an economic life span of 40-50 years). with the sudden decision to begin mass withdrawal in 1955 it comes as no surprise that some designs were dropped before production had even started.

3f 0-6-0T

this was the original plan for a standard shunter before it was dropped in favour of the English Electric class 08. it no doubt would have been based on the USATC S100 0-6-0, but built to british aesthetics.

8F 2-8-0

Riddles original plan for a heavy frieght loco was for a 2-8-0 based on Stanier's 8F, but utilizing the same boiler as his own standard 5MT. this was eventually dropped in favour of the 9F.

8MT 2-8-4T

I can't find much info about this loco, but it most likely would have been used as a replacement for the GWRs heavy frieght 2-8-0 and 2-8-2 coal tanks as well as short haul goods trains in the West Riding area of Yorkshire.

8MT 2-8-2

The design for what would become the 9F was originally a very different loco. It originally called for an express-mixed traffic 2-8-2 designed to pull express fitted freights at 60mph. however the board of managers decided that a 2-10-0 design would be preferable.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7