The Life of A Wanted Changeling Series! 83 members · 7 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Down with Chrysalis
Group Admin

Is it bad that I still haven't watched Firefly even through its slang is used throughout the series? ...Eh until we make a direct reference to it I think I'll be fine.

Hey Hive Mind, DWC here with another episode review! Sorry there wasn't one yesterday, went on a 8-hour long Ride-along and I was kinda beat after it was over with. Plus if anyone read my comment over on the latest chapter of season 4 you'd know my laptop died on me due to my negligence. Along with the original comment I had I also lost this review that I had typed up to post after my ride along. So yeah...fun times.

Anyway, lets not waste time thinking on the past and lets talk about the past!

This episode starts off with Bugze thinking about just how much danger he really is in. He's being chased after the guard/nation for two different reasons (Hooded Offender persona, and being a changeling. He's a rouge changeling to his Hive, to which they usually 'take care of' such changelings. And at the very tip of the danger pole he owes a lot of money to a Timelord of all people (The Doctor no less).

So basically he's got three factions gunning for him and he has absolutely no resources to fight them. Now why those this sound familiar...

Oh right! It's pretty much the Saint's Row 2 plot but less murdering happening. And before you get on me, know that Bugze makes this connection himself with the pony version of the game in this episode. He even gets a deadpanned face over it and everything!

Course Applejack questions him on his sudden deadpanned face, which causes Bugze to almost freak out again if not for another sudden Grandbuggy advice flashback. This time it basically is stating that you can forgive and forget your enemy's, but to always have a backup plan in case they attack you again. Course this was presented in a much more funnier way in the actual episode, but I'm grasping for time here so yeah.

Anyway with Grandbuggy's advice Bugze manages to snap out of it and pull off a very well done southern accent. Now if only he wasn't stuttering and acting like he was hiding something it may have been convincing.

He did manage to pull off one of the 11th Doctor's catchphrases so hey points to him (Stetson's are cool).

While Bugze is saying this the corner of his vision skirts to a nearby broom incase he needs to bonk some ponies on the head to make a escape. How those the corner of a persons vision skirt you ask, why because it can of course!

Anyway his Grandbuggy's words echo in his head again, causing him to shiver hard enough for Braeburn to ask if he's okay...by using his real name Bugze...*sigh*

Okay pointing this plot hole out now. Since later in the series the ponies find out that the Hooded Offender's name is Bugze they should have made a connection to Appaloosa due to Braeburn's slipup. Sure you can argue that this was a long time ago and that they forgot about it, but remember this is the same universe where a unicorn can remember every digit of pie without even hesitating to remember one digit. If Twilight's memory is that good she should have remembered this.

So yeah, plot hole aside Bugze suddenly remembers (*cough*plotconvenience*cough*)d that his disguise spell always deactivates at the worst possible moment. And he also suddenly is able to tell when his spell is about to wear off, even though in the past he couldn't.

Is this a plot hole? Is this simply lazy writing? You make the call!

So of course Bugze starts to panic, thinking how if the ponies find out he's a changeling he's doomed. Which he would be all things considered. That or the town of Appaloosa would rise up against Celestia and declare themselves a new nation in order to protect one of their own!

Please tell me this is a fic, cause this sounds AWESOME!

Ahem, anyway after poking fun of one of Twilights randomly assigned traits for plot convenience (being a blabber mouth) he eventually comes up with a brilliant solution to his problem. He claims that it is really chilly out and that he is gonna get his coat, while he does Braeburn should get on with the tour.

Who are the real idiots here? The bug who claimed to be chilly in the desert or the ponies for not questioning it?

So yeah Braeburn drags the ponies off on his tour, just in time as Bugze's transformation ends as soon as they leave.

There's a lot of plot convenience in this episode isn't there?

So the episode comes to a end with Bugze going to a alley to change into the Hooded Offender Cloak, but then he realizes how dumb that is since that persona is Equestria's most wanted. Luckily for him he gets lost in thought and trips into a mud pit, covering his cloak head to toe in mud. This of course gives Bugze the sudden urge to reference Firefly with its slang, and he begins to wonder what his next move should be.

This episode is just like the last one in terms of ranking. Kinda just used to build-up the next episode without much else. Besides the fact that it got Bugze and the Hive Mind into the habit of saying Shiny and Gorram all the time the impact is meh. The jokes are good, Grandbuggy flashbacks are always fun and poking fun at canon is never a dull joke. All in all a rather meh episode.

Now while I start looking for ways to actually watch Firefly so when you guys inevitability make a direct reference to the show I actually know what's happening. In the meantime here's the Title Segment! Now, to the Netflix dashboard, away!!!

Favorite Moment:

My gut tells me that Twilight is a big blabber mouth who can't keep a secret for long before she blurts it out to someling!

Ah, poking fun at the writers constant need to add unneeded character traits to make a episode work never gets old. And if you need proof that they do this, check out Applejack in Somepony to Watch Over Me if ya have any doubts.

Embarrassing Moment:

For ounce I have the fixed version posted before the unedited version. Success!

Been awhile since a AN mess up has been on here. And figures its another one of the simplest words I mess up spelling. How did I even mix up once with ounce is beyond me.

Plot Hole Detected:

"Bugze, pardner, you okay? That was one mighty strong shiver." You're about to tell Braeburn that you're fine, when..

Like I said, with Twilight's memory she should have remembered this when the Hooded Offender's real name was brought to light and made Appaloosa on a 24/7 watch. But nope, never happens. Curse you hindsight! CURSE YOU!!!

Well Netflix is a bust. Anyone know any non-illegal sites where I can watch Firefly when I need to? Really don't want to go tracking it down at a store...

Welp that's it for this review! Reply if you have any questions concerning this chap, for me in general, or to just tell me what you thought of this chapter as well! See ya all tomorrow with the next ep!

The Karma Counter:

Good: 44
Evil: 66

Plot Hole Count: 6

Rating: 4.5/10

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1