The Life of A Wanted Changeling Series! 83 members · 7 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2
Down with Chrysalis
Group Admin

THE BEGINNINGS OF A HERO ARC REVIEW: PART 3

And once again past me disappoints me as this entire is based solely on the 'choose your path' format from the last couple episodes had. Thankfully not only does this episode end on a open ending for more comments, but it also is the last time the season uses this stupid format...I think.

With that in mind this will have a higher rating then the past couple arc episodes, but not by much mind you.

Also, I realized I should have explained just how I'm rating these so let me fix that. The ratings are based on the content of the episode as well as how funny it is, how relevant to the plot it is, and the amount of comments used.

Clearly these last couple of episodes didn't meet that criteria, but more on that on the arc re-cap review I'll do tomorrow along with the last arc review.

Anyway, this episode brings us some decent jokes and...that's about it.

So the episode starts off with Bugze deciding to follow the girls up the mountain instead of taking the shortcut. His logic being that if Applejack and Fluttershy were that danger prone by themselves, then the group combined is a nightmare in the making so it would be better to watch out for them.

That, and if Dark Woes 2 had taught him anything is that a mountain is always filled with traps and that for all he knows that shortcut could be a one-way trip to his buggy death, so following the girls would be a safer option for him as well.

Nothing much to say about this, I've played Dark Souls 2 enough times that I'd think the same to in Bugze's place. I mean come on people you can fall/be pushed off a cliff so many times till it sticks not to be around a mountain for long!

A short time-skip later we find Bugze hiding out in a tree bored out of his mind as nothing has happened to the girls yet. He laments how he hasn't been this bored since his ex-queen forced everybody to go to karaoke and made it so she was the only one who got to sing, and she just sang This Day Aria over and over again.

What? I love this little joke. I like to think its why she sang it so go back at the wedding, cause she practiced it so much that it wouldn't leave her or her minions heads. I know it didn't leave my head for weeks after hearing it the first time. Then even longer after Caleb Hyles made a rock cover of it. Dang does that guy have a awesome voice...

Anyway after lamenting that Bugze sees the girls approach that tiny crack between two parts of the mountain from the show. After getting annoyed at Rainbow's showing off flying over the tiny hole (as well as stating his hate for showoffs, did I hate Trixie that much that I planted the seeds this early?) he proceeds to get his flank kicked by a random chipmunk....

Okay what? Why did I-how does that even-that makes no sense! I-just-WHA-*sigh* You know its stuff like this that reminds me why the series has a Random tag.

After Bugze contemplates how chipmunk bites could hurt so much (someone hasn't seen Chip & Dale: Rescue Rangers) he sees Fluttershy trying to jump over the tiny cliff to join the others. It looks like she'll do fine...but then she looks down.

Panicking, Bugze uses his magic to lift her up and place her on the other side to avoid any embracement on her part. And with this begins something I planned out for these reviews!

You see throughout the series everyone is always wondering if Bugze is a good guy or bad. Of course we know he's neither, he's just a survivor. But is the evidence of his past actions more villain or hero? That is where the Karma Counter comes in!

Every time Bugze commits a deed considered 'good' or 'evil' I will add points to the counter respectively. The points are based on the number of ponies/creatures affected by his actions. So say he saves two ponies, two Good points, for example.

I will only being counting his actions from this arc and onward, as they are more noticeable/prominent then his actions before hand. So long as Bugze does something, rather on accident or not, that affect others in some way I will count it. Including times he is under the influence of the Nightmare Cloak or when he goes all Pyro on ponies. That may be unfair, but remember this is points based on how the characters in the series see his actions, not us. An accident to us is on purpose on them. With that said...

Good +1 Saving Fluttershy from embarrassment

At the end of the review of post the total for both. With that said on with the show!

So after saving Fluttershy from embarrassment Bugze freaks that he just gave himself away, but the girls don't seem to notice his act so he calms down and continues to follow them. Another time skip later brings us to the steep part of the mountain where the avalanche happens. Bugze deduces this since the girls are all talking very quietly, so he tries to hear what their saying by walking on a branch on the tree he's hiding in (what is with him and hiding in trees).

Of course this branch is the same one that has the leaves on it that startle Fluttershy into screaming in the original episode. And with Bugze walking on it he...well causes the leaves to fall onto Fluttershy's back and well...*sigh*

Evil: +6 Accidently caused avalanche, almost crushing Mane Six

So yeah...that happened. Thankfully Bugze sorta kinda makes up for by willing sacrificing his life to push a fear stricken Fluttershy out of the path of a falling boulder.

Good: +1 Saving Fluttershy's life

Bugze closes his eyes and accepts his fate...but he automatically teleports to safety without knowing it. When he wakes up later after a timeskip we find him on top of a red rock in a cave. Course Bugze is ecstatic at being alive...till the rock opens its yellow dragon eye and stares right at him, and the episode ends with Bugze saying one simple word..."Mother"

This episode, like I said, gives us some laughs...but that's it. No other comments are used aside from the opening ones, and the content is lacking because of this. The jokes save this episode from a lower rating, but that's it.

Tomorrow brings us the final part of The Beginnings of a Hero arc, and one of my personal favorite moments of the series (this arc isn't the best, but I did say it had its moments didn't I?).

To the Title Segment!

Favorite Moment:

"I must have automatically teleported to as safe place before that rock could squish me...hahahhahah I'M ALIVE YESSSSS HAAAHAH I'M ALIVE!!!!" You yell to yourself in happiness. That is until the red rock in front of you opens its eyes and growls at you.

"Mother."

LoonyToons for the win!

Embarrassing Moment:

All the time-skips

They are all oddly timed, and they're all over the place. They aren't even needed in most cases as just saying Sometime Later would work. That and the last one doesn't make the most sense, as I doubt Bugze was able to knock himself out for 31 minutes and not have Smaug eat him before he woke up.

Welp that's it for this review! Reply if you have any questions concerning this chap, for me in general, or to just tell me what you thought of this chapter as well! See ya all tomorrow with the next ep!

Real quick: To save space the Bugze's Skills will only be listed when a new skill is learned. Unless you guys think this is a dumb idea this will be how it is. See ya all tomorrow...again!

The Karma Counter:

Good: 2
Evil: 6 (ouch)

Plot Hole Count: 2

Rating: 4/10

Kersey475
Group Contributor

Personally I think BrownDog really goes crazy on the timeskips in Season 3.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2