The Life of A Wanted Changeling Series! 83 members · 7 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Down with Chrysalis
Group Admin

THE BEGINNINGS OF A HERO ARC REVIEW: PART 1

And so the Beginnings of a Hero arc officially begins with....a choose your path opening and ending...*sigh*

Let's just get this thing rolling before I make a indent in my wall for this...

This episode brings us Bugze learning a new skill, discovering something new about himself, and canon being followed spot on!

Basically when I was writing this arc I was simultaneously watching a Youtuber's reaction to the episode so I'd have the events down word for word. I'll write in the next review just who that Youtuber and leave a link to his channel in the next review, as his name is currently managing to escape my memory.

So yeah, the episode starts off with a response to a 'choose your path' given in the last episode's AN. You all know how I feel about these kinds of things so I won't being too much into it, and instead will just go on about what happens in the episode like usual.

Bugze decides to follow the pegasus (Fluttershy) instead of going with her would just lead to being discovered by Applejack again, and trying to take on the dragon by himself would just be suicide...well at this point for him at least. We all know that later on in the series Bugze gets powerful enough to take a grown dragon head on, but that's for later. Also I will admit that the joke used to explain why going against the dragon is a bad idea is pretty funny.

Anyway after making his choice Bugze begins to follow the pegasus into town, and 30 minutes later we have Bugze hiding in a tree as the events in the episode, Twilight lining the girls up ala military, play out before him.

How he managed to sneak into town considering his poor stealth skills aside, I clearly misunderstood just how far Fluttershy's cottage is from Ponyville. I mean sure its on the border of the Everfree and all that, but 30 minutes seems a bit too long for me.

So as the canon episode plays out before him Bugze, of course, gets bored and decides to learn a new move from the 'Kung-Fu for Dummies' book, the No Shadow Kick!

Now when I decided to have Bugze learn this, I had to decided between this and Chain Punch. After watching a few videos on both moves I decided that No Shadow Kick was the best option for our favorite bug. It just looked cooler and seemed like a move that ponies could actually pull off effectively ya know? This was just another one of those choices I can't help but look back on and think 'what would be different'...which wouldn't be much since its just a karate move and all that.

After learning the move Bugze looks back towards the Mane Six...and sees them running off while dragging Fluttershy off with them. After commenting on how if they know that's kidnapping or not he begins to follow them with...free running skills that he learned by playing video games!

Man if that only that applied to real life. Life would be soooooo much cooler.

But yeah, after surprisingly being good at free running he manages to catch up with the Mane Six at the base of the mountain twenty four minutes later. Bit of a specific number there past me, but hey I'll overlook it since it isn't too big or small of a number, and how they never tell use the exact location of the mountain in the show either.

And so the episode ends with Bugze wondering if her should follow the bigger group up the mountain or follow Applejack and Fluttershy up it while considering the pros and cons of both...*sigh*

This episodes only saving grace is the fact that other comments were used, and that Bugze learned a thing or too in this chapter as well. However that is not enough to save it a higher rate that I'll be giving it, as once again its a chapter that relies on a 'choose your path' format and doesn't leave the Hive Minders much room to comment either.

Also just a quick thing from last episode I forgot to mention, it appears the adventure in my mind began there as forevertheDoctor made the mind joke, and I followed with it a few episodes later! That's going to need its own little review at the end of this series since its pretty...unique.

Anyway, its time for the Title Segment so lets get things rolling!

Favorite Moment:

You turned back to the ponies to see...them running off with the yellow pegasus being dragged away with them. They know that that's technically kidnapping...right?you think to yourself in confusion. You realize that they are getting away from you, so you decide that the fastest way to catch up with them would be too…

This line was just so...deadpanned it was perfect!

Embarrassing Moment:

. Also to Kersey475 and forevertheDoctor, your guys suggestions for the dragon encounter will be used when I write that chapter, so don't worry about them never getting used.

If there's one thing I learned doing this series, is that you never let other commenters know if someone's comments getting used or not. It makes it seem unfair to them and can lead to less people commenting since a idea is already in play. Just pm the Hive Minders who had the comments instead people, lot les headaches that way.

Bugze Gained a Skill:

Learned 'No Shadow Kick'

Try doing stealth free running skills, like those stealth games you played (Hitmare, Pony's Creed, etc.). You take a deep breath and begin to run across the buildings...without messing up at all.

For now on I'll be keeping track of new abilities and skills Bugze gains throughout his adventure, that way you guys in the Hive Mind have a nice reminder every day if you forgot a ability or two. I'll put the list at the end with the plot hole counter, but for now I'll keep it here.

First Appearance Comment:

a) Be with the group to help them with the dragon

DO NOT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER! :pinkiehappy:

Lord Sergal's first comment was actually last episode, but since I didn't do a Title Segment last review I thought I put it here. Sergal commented for a good long time, and he always had some really good ideas, especially during fight scenes or slap-stick comedy moments. Which is one of the best kinds of comedy, so thank you Lord Sergal for the amazing comments!

Welp that's it for this review! Reply if you have any questions concerning this chap, for me in general, or to just tell me what you thought of this chapter as well! See ya all tomorrow with the next ep!

Plot Hole Count: 2

Rating: 3/10

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1