The Life of A Wanted Changeling Series! 83 members · 7 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Down with Chrysalis
Group Admin

Just want to quickly apologies for no review yesterday. Friends birthday was today and by the time I got home I was too tired to write. Probably should have written this in advance, but hindsight is 20/20 so yeah. Anyway again sorry, onto today's review

Ah...don't you just love it when the title of a episode doesn't involve anything that actually happens in said episode? No? Well apparently past me did as this is, what the third episodes that's title made no sense? *sigh* Let's just get things rolling before I go on a rant.

This episodes brings us a rare use of the shield spell, two running gags, and more evidence that Applejack's catchphrase is 'varmint' and that Bugze has really bad luck.

One of the few times during early season 1 where a 1000 word chapter happens after another one, and while its a bit clunky it does a good job of making laugh a bit. Not much though so the rating won't be the highest.

The episode picks up where we left off last time, Applejack coming in on Bugze and Applebloom talking.

The scene itself is one of the first 'fight' scenes of the series! I use quotations here cause its no so much a 'fight' as a 'Bugze stumbles his way to victory.' But it does show off the shield spell before everyone forgot it existed so hey top marks there.

Another thing this 'fight' scene gives us is the running gag of Bugze sucking at teleporting. For after blocking Applejack's running charge with his shield...and then getting pinned by Applejack and being saved by Applebloom holding her sisters hoof back (don't get me started on how that works cause I have no clue) Bugze tries to get outta Dodge by teleporting.

This goes as well as you expect as he only accomplishes teleporting on top of Applejack. And with his and Applebloom's combined weight they managed to pin Applejack down (no clue how that works). Applejack swears she's gonna beat Bugze to a pulp and snap Applebloom out of whatever 'spell' the changeling has on her.

That's right folks! It's everybody's favorite plot device gag, and the bane of Bugze's existence (well one of them at lest), its the 'Mind Control' Gag!

Ah yes the 'Mind Control' Gag! Do you need a plot device that'll allow your main character to stay hated by the general populace despite your good deeds, and you don't have a nine-tailed demon fox nearby to seal into said main character? Then the 'Mind Control' Gag is for you! See all your other characters, except for a select few, see your main character as the bad guy despite his actions with the excuse that he just brainwashed everyone!

But in all seriousness back then I didn't really intend for this to be a thing, but the Hive Mind picked it up and we needed a way for season two to...well exist so...yeah.

Anyway, Bugze calls Applejack out on her speciesist nature to try and get her on the defensive...but the tables are turned when she brings up the fact that he threw dirt into Twilights eyes and used Rarity as a meat shield. This causes Bugze's confidence to shrink at those facts, but he tries to justify his actions as the first one being a accident and the second self-defense.

Of course Applejack being the stubborn mare she is doesn't want to hear any of it as she begins to rant about all the bad things (two plus invasion so really not that much) Bugze's done. When he gets enough of it he uses the RCV to shut her up (with the reference power that is Arnold Schwarzenegger) and tries to apologizes for all of it...when a Rainbow blur slams into him.

Bugze's luck everybody! Causing him to never clear up misunderstandings since 2014!

And so the chapter ends there, and the Hive Mind is left to think of what to do next.

Overall this chapter wasn't that bad. Could have used more comments and not ended so abruptly, but besides that it was fine. Same rating as last review most likely.

But enough about the review, onto the Title Segment!

Favorite Moment:

You then focus your magic to your lungs and power up your RCV, You finish it and then you scream…

"SHHHHHHHHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP"

What? I love me some good ol'fashioned Schwarzenegger references, and this was a pretty funny movie.

Embarrassing Moment:

Hey Hive Mind, DWC here. Now I think the title of this episode makes sense, but if it doesn't...oh well. This episode was a pretty tough to think of, but I think I did a pretty good job if I do say so for myself.

Ugggghhhhhhhh....(x2)

The Beginning of a Running Gag:

You wait for your end… and you wait… and you wait… how long does it take for this mare to punch?

"Oooo when I get my hooves on you changeling, you'll be more black and blue then a penguin, and Applebloom I don't know what spell this changeling has on you, but Ah swear on the apple orchard that I will save you!" Applejack yells threateningly at you.

The 'Wait for it...wait for it...surprise twist' gag is always a fun one to use to decrease tension or to introduce a new element or character. That its just funny picturing everyone looking at Bugze while his eyes are closed why he hasn't opened them yet since nothing bad has happened yet.

Mind Control people, its surprising how often it doesn't happen. Yet so many people seem to think its the cause of everything...I wonder why?

Welp that's it for this review! Reply if you have any questions concerning this chap, for me in general, or to just tell me what you thought of this chapter as well! See ya all tomorrow with the next ep!

Plot Hole Count: 2

Rating: 5/10

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1