Super Smash Ponies 248 members · 437 stories
Comments ( 41 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 41
ZeroChill
Group Admin

Official Writing Contest

Summer is just around the corner for a good number of people. This usually means that many more people usually end up finding much more time available in their schedules. We could use this time to play Super Smash Bros. (especially with the Mewtwo and Lucas DLCs available in that time), but why not write Crossover Fiction using various represented franchises instead?!

The Rules!

The rules will not be anything intimidating at all, but here are the rules for when writing for this contest:

1. Your fic must be a Crossover fic relating to any franchises that belong to Nintendo or are represented in the Super Smash Bros. series. Metal Gear, Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man are the 3rd Party Franchises that can be used for this contest.

2. You cannot use more than one other non-MLP franchise for your Crossover Fic. Though this rule implies that you cannot make a Super Smash Bros. crossover for this contest, this rule has to be placed since Crossover Fics crossing more than two franchises together end up being scatterbrained and losing the overall focus of the theme.

3. No Mature-rated or Troll Entries. The former is self-explanatory, as linking Mature-rated stories in non-designated threads is a big no-no when it comes to the rules. As for the latter, you are supposed to write an actual good story. Any Trollfics will be disqualified.

Simple rules, right? Well, it's time to move onto:

Judging Criteria

For this contest, the admins of this group shall be judging your fics based on these categories

1. Story/Plot
2. Grammar
3. Characterization
4. World Building
5. Theme

For the story aspect, there needs to be some sort of conflict at hand. You will earn better points with the judges the more coherent and interesting the plot of the story is.
We will be checking on how well Grammar is implemented. Your score will be hurt if your Grammar Skills are non-existent.
With characterization, we shall be looking on how well the characters stick to their canon personalities AND how well-rounded Original Characters are.
World Building warrants its own category. Any good crossover must have interesting locales for their characters to explore. It can range from something mundane like a new town to something fantastic like a new dimension. But, any World Building must have a plausible explanation knitted within the fabric of the story.
Finally, we have Theme. With Theme, we will be focusing on the purpose and ideas of the story. Simply having the concept of the story occur just for it to happen will not earn points with the judges. Any ideas that delve deeper into the philosophies of the franchises crossed is a good idea.

Register For Your Franchise!

Over the many years Nintendo has been in business, they have a very rich plethora of franchises under their belts. But, I know for a fact that writers are going to gravitate towards the bigger and more common franchises, such as Super Mario, Legend of Zelda and Pokemon. That is why, depending on how many people sign up for the contest, I will give a number limit to the possible number of franchises one can use for this fic. Part of what makes Super Smash Bros. and, Nintendo, great is their large history of games within them. If we just stick to the same franchises used, then the contest will be lacking in the diversity that makes the Smash Bros. series great

Prizes will be determined, but a Nintendo eShop Card Info will definitely be the primer prize. Also, a story does not have to be finished for it to enter. It just has to have a good amount of progress where a direction is possible.

List of Entrants:
Sorcerer H Discordia
DarkLinker

We are closing registrations for entrants on the 13th of May. That should give plenty of time for you all to come!

And, remember, have fun when writing for this. Fun is the most important factor of all.

Comment posted by gamexpert1990 deleted Apr 15th, 2015
ZeroChill
Group Admin

Strange, I thought there was a rule against that.

TheTrueDragoon
Group Admin

4278664 Does it break the site rules? No. My group rules? Yes.

Ah, I didn't pay enough attention to the group rules. My bad! :twilightblush:

I shall remove my previous comment now.

4278633 My God. I waited for this for such a long time. VIRIDI!!! IM COMING FOR YOUUUU!!

Question though, if a video game character is mentioned, does it count as more than one franchise?

ZeroChill
Group Admin

Mentioning characters from other franchises doesn't count towards the more than one franchise rule, so break the 4th wall all you want!

TheTrueDragoon
Group Admin

4278695 It's alright.

4278716 Kid Icarus+Fourth Wall= ITSS SOOO HARRRDDD TO SAY GOODBYEEEE!!!

Prizes will be determined, but a Nintendo eShop Card Info will definitely be the primer prize.

How much eShop money we talkin' here? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Awww HELL YEA!

I look forward to the results! ^w^

I don't plan on writing anything, but how strict is rule 2?
Does this exclude other franchise characters from being added altogether or would they be free for a side character slot, or even a background character that is hardly relevant?

I can piece together that references are allowed, but I wanna know exactly where the line is drawn.

ZeroChill
Group Admin

The line is drawn when major elements that come from franchises you are not working on appear in said story. This does include characters from other franchises.

Also, I just realized that the Mario franchise is going to be ridiculously weird with that rule, since Wario, Yoshi and Donkey Kong are their own series but come from the Mario franchise.

4278633 Wait a second...the prize is....ESHOP!!!??

FIRE EMBLEM DLC!!!

(Something in your eyes was so inviting. Something in your smile was so exciting. Something in my heart told me I must have you!)

ZeroChill
Group Admin

Yep. I figure it would be a good prize for the Summer.

With my current budget, it'd either be $35-$50. More than likely $35

Where do we sign up for the contest?

4281008 Just say you're in the contest and have an entry ready by the deadline and I'm sure you'll be fine. :twilightsmile:

ZeroChill
Group Admin

So, Sorcerer H Discordia, DarkLinker and and maybe Godson are on the list of entries right now.

4281253 I'm tempted. But I'm not sure. I mean... sure, I have a whole month to write the story, but I'd be neglecting my current story which was put in hiatus so I could enter another contest.

I'm not sure if I'm up for another one.

Edit: Also, wtf? I didn't get a notification when you replied to me.

I blame KekSec.

ZeroChill
Group Admin

You do not have to enter if you do not want to. Focus on your primary story first before entering, but I would like it if you spread the news of the contest.

4281404 Spread the word? Sure, I could do that.

I'll probably mention it in a blog post or something.

Because yes.

ZeroChill
Group Admin

Bumping this up.

Is the contest still on since only two people entered or was it cancelled

TheTrueDragoon
Group Admin

4370003 I believe the deadline has been reached but I don't know how things are going. I was letting ZeroChill run this so I'll let him decide whether or not to cancel. If he still wants to I'll just let the contestants post their stories her in the thread since we only have two or three people. No sense in making a new folder for so few. Not sure about how judging will go.

4370102 IMMM HEREEEEE!!!!!

It's not finished....but it'll do!

Am I late? I do hope I'm not late!

4370367 sorry the deadline was two days ago. He may still accept it since it's the only other entry

4371264 Well, the thread's not locked so I'm assuming the better for now.

TheTrueDragoon
Group Admin

4371264 Seeing as you two are the only contestants and there has not been any place to put the stories until now, I will allow you to post what you do have regardless of the deadline. I would say that anyone new cannot enter and you have to put up what is done now. If I only see one story here though in the next day or two, I'm calling this off. One story, no contest.

4291024 Once both stories are posted here, it's your call how to do the judging for a winner. I too busy right now to deal with it. Feel free to call for judges if you need to.

4371359 It begins....

Oh...I can already see that Fire Emblem DLC....

ZeroChill
Group Admin

I shall look at it now.

4278633 So...um...are you still reviewing the stories? Not to be rude or anything. Sorry if it is....

ZeroChill
Group Admin

Did you post your story link? And, due to the low turnabout for the contest, the prize was docked down to $10 eShop card.

4403165 Yes it's right over

4370367 Here.

4278633 So...are you still deciding? Sorry if I'm being a pest. I just really want some Fire Emblem DLC...:twilightblush:

ZeroChill
Group Admin

After looking over the fics, I actually have finished making my decision. I'll post it tomorrow because it is too late now.

4407808 Alrighty then. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

So what are the results of the contest

4278633 Well.....it's been two days....just in case you forgot. :twilightblush:

ZeroChill
Group Admin

I was biding time because I won't actually get the prize until tomorrow. But, here are the results:

*insert drumroll*

4411370 - While I feel that your story could use some work with show rather than tell, it definitely had a solid direction of where to go. It is rough, but there is a diamond inside of it.
4415170 - I appreciate the humor very much, but I feel that your depiction of Viridi kind of contrasts how she is in Uprising, mainly due to the fact that Equestria would be a heaven for her due to the lack of humans and importance of nature and harmony that Equestria embodies.

Darklinker is the winner of the contest, but the both of you will get $10 eShop codes tomorrow because you both tried showing the best of Nintendo and were the only contestants in this contest. Hopefully, there will be more competitors in the next contest.

4415180 Bravo to the winner. I shall try to do better the next time around.

4415182 Thank you you did rather well as well and hope to see you do better next time.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 41