Story Standards 268 members · 189 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Dragonborne Fox
Group Admin

And here we have a story with a bit of a generic-ish name. Frankly, I'd rather the Elements of Dissonance, because it's a synonym of Chaos and just sounds all the more kick-ass if you asked me.

Genre is Human, Dark, and Adventure with a side-serving of teen-rated Gore. Hrm, alright, standard combination of tags, but I'll bite.

Wordcount is 104,151 words long, divided into 16 chapters ranging from 2k to 10k, marked incomplete. I have read the first four chapters.

Grammar: 8/10, readable, but not perfect. Spotted double-spaces here and there and a lowercased word where it should be uppercased, but overall it doesn't detract much from the story. However, it also uses onomatopoeia in all caps, though thankfully doesn't abuse it.

Characterization: Mmm, 6/10. The canon characters shown thus far are... off, but this I can excuse because they've been shown in a trippy dream sequence that devolves into a grimdark-ish nightmare. "-ish," because the story has a teen rating and doesn't go Cupcakes level of grim.

Use of show canon: Used... minimally, in a sense. However, it does offer some headcanon to compensate; for instance, an old stone trail of steps set into Canterlot's mountain starting from the base, which I presume to have been made before trains were invented. The protag actually skips Ponyville and heads to Canterlot via this particular route, after a run-in with Rover, Spot, and Fido in the Everfree Forest (again, something not seen terribly often.) So, this gets a generous 6.5/10 from me; not too much show canon is used, but what is used gets a bit of expansion.

Plot consistency: Starts off telly-ish, before the protag is sent to Equestria. Hadn't really kicked off from what I have seen, but does have said protag settle for something and stick to it. 5/10.

Use of OCs: Remember said protag? A human Joe named Eldon, who is a high-school teen with missing dad issues. But he doesn't let said missing dad issues cloud his judgement; if anything, it's consigned to the back of his mind in a cage. Aside from coming with an artifact and aid from an Ancient One, he's actually not half-bad. Not edgy, just a dude wanting answers, although the story made him the 'one of prophecy' or something like that. All in all, 5/10 here. I have a feel for him, but I'm not terribly attached to him as a character; he's just there, thrusted to the forefront of the story, if you will.

Coherence: 9/10, mostly solid, but the dream sequence left me raising a brow. That I'll let slide, since dreams can and have been fucked up in the past.

Extra things depending on genre: Gore I will not grade, as it is not used. Adventure, though, is prominent. Not at-the-speed-of-light, mind you, but it does indeed have an adventury-feel from the get-go. 7/10. Human? 5/10; because Eldon gets turned into a unicorn very early on in the story. Dark? You bet; there's an established Endbringer via dream sequence, Canterlot burns and bodies are strewn in said sequence, and the MacGuffin here tells Eldon that, unless he acts, his and countless other worlds will be destroyed. And the Diamond Dogs try to murder Eldon for said MacGuffin. Don't tell me that shit ain't dark. 8/10.

And now, the verdict. The story scores 59.5/90, or 66%. While rejected, it's a little interesting gem; presents some ideas, does do a fairly good job at what it does, sticks to it, and overall can stand on its own merit. It's an unpolished, uncut gem; in its own right, a guilty pleasure. Certainly not 'meh,' but does need to expand some of its current chapters and shorten others to mend pacing issues. And being less telly in the dream sequence and first chapter, as well as doing away with all-caps onomatopoeia. If it does that, then it's good to go. It has certainly colored me interested.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1