Nonpareil Fiction 286 members · 273 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

Like the title says this is the thread for contest rules... and guidelines... which are a lot like rules but much less strict... So lets start with the guidelines!

Guidelines
1.) Stories are to be no more than five thousand words(that's 5000 for you silly folks out there... sorry) This is a guideline because sometimes you just need a few extra words. I won't put the actual cap, but just remember to keep it within reason.
2.) The ratings for stories will be dependent on the particular contest. If the contest says teen, you can submit a story rated for everyone, but you will be disqualified if the story is rated mature. Within reason... Sometimes for the sake of the site rules you have to make something a higher rating, but it might still fall in what I would call the next step down. So guideline!
3.) Studies show that having fun will increase the quality of your writing. You don't have to have fun but as you just saw, having fun is doctor recommended.

Rules Text
1.) The deadline will be adhered to. I have to do this because at what point do I say, okay that's enough late entries?
2.) No fighting, bickering, hostility toward other entrants, or unsportsmanlike conduct. Sportsmanship is key. If an entrant is found to be abusing his or her fellow writers, they will be immediately disqualified. Three such disqualifications will result in a lifetime ban from participating in our contests.
3.) All entries must be submitted to the contest entry folder. The folder will be titled "Contest Entries" I realize that isn't very fun or exciting but I don't want to confuse anyone.
4.) Harassment of the judges is entirely unacceptable. Consequences could be simple disqualification or outright banning from the group. We three admins are all working hard to make these contests fun for all of you, but we also have lives outside of the soft warmth of the comforting internet.
5.) Stories must be new. We all can see the date the story was published and we want to see stories that were published no earlier than the day the contest is opened.
6.) going along with the word cap, your story must be a single parter and not be published as part of a short story collection. This is to help the judges maintain sanity as we aren't all covered with mind reading sausage links that will help us divine your intentions.
7.) Last but certainly the most obvious, judges and certain other contest staff are not eligible to join the contest and are not permitted to give specific advice. That said we are available if you have any questions on the rules or contest specifics. By "we" I mean "I". After all I can not speak for my fellow judges.
8.) Oh wait, one more thing! Please add a part in the description of your submission that you are submitting it to the contest. Just in case someone adds a story on accident.

Okay this is going to be more than just rules... and guidelines. I'm also going to talk about the reason you are all here. Fabulous cash and prizes! You don't get those... What you do get are notoriety and bragging rights.

The runners up or honorable mentions will have their story and short description placed on the front page of the group.

The winner, will have their story, cover art(if any), long description and a major plug for the writer on the front page. The winning story will also be placed in "The Winner's Circle!" a folder that is designed for contest winning stories. Last but not least, I am in the process of trying to find and recruit an unbiased reviewer or two to write up a full review of the winning story. I'm actually reviewing a volunteer right now.

Okay Q&A time, if you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please send me a PM and I'll try to help you out. If I get a lot of the same question, I will set up a Frequently Asked Questions reply to this thread.

**Current(-ish) Contest!**
Open = September 15, 2014 through October 15, 2014
((I really do have a plan. I will try to announce that plan on the thirteenth but it will be up on the fourteenth at the latest.))

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1