Robin Williams 112 members · 9 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

Yo, what's up, Kemosabes?

This is your friendly group contributor here with another thread.

Today, I'm gonna give you guys my take of Ben Stiller's "Night at the Museum".

Here's the summary of it:

Lawrence Daley, otherwise known as Larry, is a man who has a great many dreams, but yet...he can't seem to get a stable job and his dreams hardly seem to come true.

Once again jobless, Larry finds work as a security guard at the American Museum of Natural History, where he's assigned to take on the night shift in place of soon-to-retire night guards Cecil Fredericks, Gus, and Reginald.

During his watch, though, Larry discovers that all of the exhibits at the museum have come to life. He soon finds that a magical tablet from Egypt brings the exhibits to life every time night comes, and so he has to make sure everything's in order and that the exhibits stay inside the museum.

Will Larry be able to keep his head together and succeed at his duties? Or will he once again lose a job?

I'm not gonna lie, this film was something I had fondly grown up with since I was seven or eight years old. From the very first time I saw it in theaters, I found the film to be one I constantly enjoyed. As I became aware of its mixed reputation from critics, though...I couldn't help but feel confused as to why it and its sequels got such a reception to begin with.

When I saw it again after so long, I found this movie to be one of the best family-friendly comedies I ever watched! I can't help but even go so far as to say that the people who negatively reviewed the movie were either not doing their job or something else, because I couldn't find anything wrong with it.

For instance, the direction by Shawn Levy, and the screenplay by Thomas Lennon and Robert Ben Garant, were all-out awesome! And that's counting the fact that co-producer Chris Columbus had obviously lent creative touches of his own.

I know that this movie was based on the children's book of the same name by Milan Trenc, but...I found it to be very unique, creative, imaginative, different, and fresh as a film. The concept of a museum's exhibits coming to life at night was something that I believed to be perfect to explore, the same with what a museum night guard would be doing while a museum was closed. Plus, the way the film played out was in a way that wasn't as simple as one would think.

Another thing I loved about the movie was how the filmmakers were able to make something ridiculous so entertaining. The humor they incorporated was consistently fun, well-executed, and had me laughing my socks off, even the part where Larry and Dexter were slapping each other. Along with that, the film wasn't without its emotional resonance and heart, which particularly came from Larry's growing friendships with Rebecca and the exhibits, as well as his bond with his son, Nicholas "Nick" Daley, and his goal to have a job so that he can keep seeing him.

The performances of the cast, casting, characters, and character development were incredible as well. I loved how every cast member on board, even the most unusual of choices, fit their parts like a glove, and it looked like Levy was able to give them tons of room to be creative and deeply enhance their performances. The best part about it was that the performers appeared to be having a lot of fun, which was an amazing thing to see.

And I'd like to be honest, Ben Stiller, Dick Van Dyke, Robin Williams, Owen Wilson, Steve Coogan, Mickey Rooney, Patrick Gallagher, and Brad Garrett, with their portrayals of Larry, Cecil, Theodore Roosevelt, Jedidiah, Octavius, Gus, Dr. McPhee, Attila the Hun, and the Easter Island Head, were the ones that won me over the most.

The character development in articulation was phenomenal. I loved how the exhibits, especially Jedidiah and Octavius, learned to work together instead of fighting all the time, as well as Larry discovering how great and important being a night guard at a museum can be.

The special effects used in the film were spectacular, if I may add. It's true that they weren't groundbreaking on a level as the effects of other movies I previously reviewed were, but...they were still incredible nonetheless. If the goal the team had was to make sure everything seemed real and was appealing to look at while not using too much money, then I'm proud to say...

In my opinion, the best of the special effects elements was definitely the T-Rex. It was remarkable how they made a creature not having any skin so real, and the way he moved around and positioned his body made him all-the-more convincing.

Finally, the music by Alan Silvestri was melodiously magnificent. I deeply admired how he got his score to personally and emotionally invest itself in the story, and the way he got the film to feel much more enormous than likely intended was brilliant. Plus, the incorporation of Earth, Wind, and Fire's "September" at the end of the movie was extremely enjoyable, and it was actually how I became familiar with the song and why I uploaded it to my Music App.

In conclusion, "Night at the Museum (2006)" is a clearly underrated gem. It's hilarious, heartfelt, the characters are instantly memorable and fun to hang with, and it provides a great way to encourage others to research history and science too.

So, I rate "Night at the Museum (2006)" a solid five out of five stars.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1