Kirin 276 members · 122 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

I’m writing a fanfic about the kirin that takes place during season four, and I’d like to think up names for the kirin in case they become important. Here's a list. (MLP Wiki considers them ponies for some reason...) I’m not including the ones from “The Last Problem” for obvious reasons.

This one has already been named “Cinder Glow” by the fans.

The names of the more even-tempered Kirin seem to all be water themed and vaguely Native-American sounding, so that outta be the template you go for. (Rain Shine, River Song, etc.)

The more upbeat and Nirik-inclined ones still have the North-American tribal feel, but they’re more fire-themed. (Autumn Blaze, Cinder Glow, etc).

I’d recommend looking into an online thesaurus for “water” and/or “fire” and brainstorm from there.

Hope these observations help.

How about taking it one step further and theming their names around a system of elements?

Elements on the periodic table? That might be too technical for the rustic feel that Kirin have. If you meant the Taoist elements though (Earth, Water, Fire, Air, and Aether), that sounds flavorful enough to me.

The rules are of course up to you, but whatever you pick stick with it unless a character’s deviant name is meant to be a clue to their deviant nature. For example, Pegasi in canon all have names associated with weather, flight, or athletics. Cozy Glow is the only one who’s name breaks this convention, and its thematically appropriate she does, the little psychopath.

I dunno if you’re planning on having one of your Kirin be a baddie, but if you are maybe give him/her a subtly off-beat name to clue the reader in.

I thought the fifth Taoist element was wood.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6