The World of Terra 40 members · 6 stories
Comments ( 18 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 18
TSLsmokey
Group Contributor

Hidden throughout the world of Terra(thanks to an old man's meddling), exist 24 topaz colored gems. These gems each have a small asterisk inscribed perfectly in their centers and each radiates a great amount of magic.

Depending on which one you find you will obtain a new skillset relating to the job of the asterisk. The jobs usually provide a change of clothing and new weapon affinities as well as new abilities.

Asterisk jobs are as follows:
Freelancer - The base job. Provides assistance with not only examining and basic healing, but also mimicking enemies moves.
Monk - Heavy hitters, fights with fists and have high attack but very low defense.
White mage - Healers, uses wands and staves and uses healing magic aka white magic. Can also revive KIA members with half health, provide status buffs, and cast wind magic and Holy
Black mage - Uses attacking spells called black magic. Such magic consists of fire, blizzard, thunder and other varying spells. Can also use status debuffs and cast status ailments
Knight - Tank v1, can cover allies and deal heavy hits. Uses swords
Thief - self-explanatory, can easily steal from foes and use high speed to its advantage. Primarily uses daggers
Merchant - uses money to power up attacks and other methods. a good example could be powering up an airships speed by spending a little cash for a spell.
Time Mage - Can cast speed buffs and debuffs on both friends and foes. Can also cast meteor and comet as well as quake spells. Can even stop foes cold.
Valkyrie - Jumper. Can use agility to jump out of foes reach and land devastating blows. Also can conjure a spirit barrier. Uses spears
Hunter - Sharpshooter. Can target specific races to deal more damage, penetrate through defenders, and fire multiple arrows per shot. Uses bows
Summoner - self-explanatory, can summon fierce creatures to deal massive damage.
Red Mage - Can use low to medium level white and black magic.
Performer - uses song and dance to power up other allies
Pirate - Glass cannon, Can deal massive blows that also decrease opponents stats but at the same time a pirate will have low health. Uses axes
Ninja - can use abilities to not only easily dodge attacks but counter-attack, can also draw fire as well as cause other allies(those built for taking hits) to be targeted. Uses daggers
Swordmaster - counterer, can counter any and all attacks. however they have to be using the specific counter(physical or magic) at that point. cannot counter full-party attacks.
Salve-maker - Alchemist, can mix items to make attacks, healing spells, or other stuff. Can also transform healing items to attack items and vice-versa.
Arcanist - Black mage v2, works well with black mages to deal damage to those who are under status ailments.
Spiritmaster - White mage v2, works well with white mages to help create immunities to specific elements or boost elemental attacks. Can also cause all damage to both sides to be 0. great peacemaker!
Templar - tank v2, can take hits hardier than the knight but cannot cover allies specifically. Can use blockade to block one attack per ally entirely and deals higher damage if it has been guarding awhile.
Dark Knight - Deals more damage the more it has been hurt. Can use attacks that not only get more powerful the more damage the user has, but attacks that can also weaken the user to power it up.
Vampire - Blue Mage, Learns attacks that enemies have used on it and can use them from any time from that point forward
Conjurer - Uses summons to power itself up, is a one-man army if used right.

All asterisks have the ability to conjure a force-field that traps the caster and a target to make sure they cannot flee. this can be used to not only trap criminals but pose tests to see if one is worthy of the asterisk. They cannot be stolen and in order to obtain one, you must pass a test set by the owner of the current asterisk. Tests will vary as the owners are different. Once a test is passed, a copy of the asterisk will be created for that person's exclusive use. Only those recognized by the asterisks(not the masters, the actual gems themselves) will be allowed to not only create the tests, but to put others under the test. The only way a new master will be chosen for each asterisk is if the original one is killed or chooses to retire.

Theories on asterisk masters:
Star-Swirl: Conjurer. Possible ties with the original Conjurer owner known as Conjurer Yulyana
Pinkie Pie: Performer. Her songs tend to perk up anypony that hears them. Wouldn't be too surprising.

Nova_Blast
Group Admin

3863412 Consider it canonized, feel free to write a story revolving around an individual finding one of these gems if you wish

TSLsmokey
Group Contributor

3863620 I've actually got a displaced story in the works(not in bionicle universe) that will use the asterisks as well. These are based off of the asterisk system in Bravely Default.

Nova_Blast
Group Admin

3863857 Well, you could always have it set in my version of Terra, the Spherus Magnans (Bionicle species) generally aren't found outside of their republic and the forests of southern continent, true, you'll get a few of each species in every country, as you do with the other species on Terra, but your chances of encountering one are as low as encountering a Brit living in the USA (or vice versa)

TSLsmokey
Group Contributor

3864873 Well my hands are full with 2 stories at this time so I can't write a new one atm. However if you choose to implement it in the main story I can help check it over to help out in it.

Caldoric
Group Contributor

Hmm... Interesting. Sounds like it might be useful against the GCA... Provided they don't get their hands on one or more copies.

TSLsmokey
Group Contributor

5078590 In order to get a copy, they must pass the test issued by the master or original Asterisk and they must be recognized by said Asterisk/Master to be even allowed to take the test. It's theorized that the asterisk is able to approve potential candidates due to a fragment of the original owners soul inside it but that's unconfirmed.

Caldoric
Group Contributor

Could someone possibly wield two asterisks in combination? Like, Templar and Dark Knight?

(If so, who do you think would be best as masters/copy-carriers for either of them?)

TSLsmokey
Group Contributor

5080697 Only one Asterisk may be active at any given time. That being said, it is entirely possible for someone to be carrying more than one and be accepted by more than one. The time to switch between one asterisk and another is about 1minute to 2 depending on how attuned that being is to the asterisk in question. During this time said being is completely vulnerable.

Caldoric
Group Contributor

Hmm... Any possibility of two or more (copies at least,) getting fused somehow, and making a new (and VIABLE) "job" based on based on that fusion? Like... Maybe "Dark Templar?" I mean, a Mask of Fusion might do it, or a recovered and repaired Staff of Fusion?

TSLsmokey
Group Contributor

5093057 Depending on if someone can manage to break through the magic coding, it's plausible. Though as a note of warning, no one knows what will happen to the trial itself. At that point, because there's no known master of this new fusion, the asterisk will create its own trial for one to face.

An example would be the Spiritmaster fusing with the Arcanist. The trial might wind up being Sephirot or Alexander(both from final fantasy lore) but no one knows for certain. Should you attempt this, make sure to keep your guard up. Your trial will be in the hands of the gods... No that doesn't mean Nova will literally be holding you :P

Caldoric
Group Contributor

In the hands of the gods, eh?

Maybe I should put in a word with Annoia/Annoia/the goddess of things stuck in drawers, asking her to speak with The Lady. You know, the old Lipwig-ism of "I commend my soul to any god who can find it" thing? (I'm pretty sure someone will at least make a cameo appearance in this universe... Maybe Rincewind?)

Surely it's a million-to-one chance?

And, failing that, I could always ask Percy Jackson and friends to speak w/ their parents...

TSLsmokey
Group Contributor

5094999 Ah, be warned. Hades likely will troll you. It was more a metaphor on how dangerous and unlikely it can be to do fusions with Asterisks. One last note, it can't be done with the originals but it might be possible with copies. You'll need an insane amount of luck, fortitude, and strength to do it, and pass the trial.

Caldoric
Group Contributor

Well, that might just be possible with "kenohi magic," as Nova puts it.

Or just "sheer, dumb luck," thereby earning points.

Makes sense about being unable to fuse original asterisks, though. You'd need them around to set the tests and suchlike. Also, in order to prevent pure catastrophy, any method used to fuse one or more of them would have to be A) destroyed after use, and B) probably unique to each fusion, depending on how strong you're looking to make each individual aspect of the resulting product. Don't need another "Makuta makes a Mask of ultimate power" incident, do we?

Caldoric
Group Contributor

Actually, "dark templar" doesn't sound as cool, it'd have to be something unique, yet both related and counterpoint to the Templar. Shadow Crusader? I'll think of something, but for now, that's my new working name for it. Let me know if you have any interesting name ideas...

TSLsmokey
Group Contributor

5095349 Hmmm... I got nothin... Naming aint my forte. All the Asterisk names up right now were taken from Bravely Default.

Caldoric
Group Contributor

Um, BTW, what storyline are these items from?

Caldoric
Group Contributor

Nevermind, figured it out.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 18