Freedom VS Harmony 598 members · 308 stories
Comments ( 63 )
  • Viewing 51 - 100 of 63
Ancient Scholar
Group Admin

Well it is a slightly darker take on the characters.

I had this idea a long time ago but what I was going for was similar to Worm, a web comic (that I've never read) about superheroes in a grim dark setting. The princesses would be like they are in canon but would have made mistakes in the past and have motivations for doing certain things.

If done correctly it should be doing bad things for the greater good type of deal.

5589780 And you did say that's what this group represents, yes?

Ancient Scholar
Group Admin

Sort of. I have no idea what I was going for when I made that intro. At its core this group is for good stories. One of its main ideas are for stories to be slightly realistic instead of 2 dimensional and boring. This leads to more darker themes with conflict.

A story can happy and fun but for it to be good then the main focus would be the interaction between characters to really flesh out the story. Do you know what I mean?

Yep. I take it that maybe you think the actual series itself is losing that touch?

Ancient Scholar
Group Admin

I haven't kept up with the show after Tirek so I can't say much about it.

The show is okay. I'm not a brony or anything so I can't say I love it but I'll watch it with no complaints. I think the show is a little weakened due it being a kids show and having lots of inconsistencies but it's not a big deal.

My main problem are what some writers put in their stories. Maybe it's just me who is detached from the world but I would never call a pony cute. I would never let them distract me from my goal of surviving if I was in Equestria.

Having the character think them as cute or having to restrain random impulses to hug and pet what is a sapient being just breaks my SoD in a big way.

Another is that while the characters in the show aren't completely 2 dimensional they are usually common stereotypes. Most writers just leave it at that instead of trying to expand upon them and the setting.

This is why the more realistic stories are more interesting to me. While usually dark they break the mold of the setting and do something new.

Most Bronies project their feeling into what they write which come off as wrong to me. Like Equestria being peaceful, ponies are always right, and that it's awesome to live in another world. I like my characters with more backbone and independence then the average SI.

5639570 Well, I assume you know where my thoughts on bronies got me.

Ancient Scholar
Group Admin

No but I saw what you wrote on your profile. The extreme things have never happened to me but I find it weird how people can be so stupid about this.

Anyway I hope you get what I'm trying to say. When I made this group I was sort of looking for anti brony stories. I thought about that name but knew that it would come off the wrong way. I don't hate anything I just want to see more of the alternative.

5639604 Well, you could say that's one reason I joined. I think the word "freedom" invited me.

Ancient Scholar
Group Admin

Thanks. I think the group is doing well even if I wish it was more active like Humans in Equestria. Do you have any suggestions?

Self determination is a big think for me. (even if I'm lazy) It's one of the reasons Harmony in MLP bothers me. I think being a blank flank is actually better as you have unlimited potential and actually learn skills. Cutie marks seem to boost your abilities but it's a huge weakness. Losing it means losing most of the magic a pony has.

Overgoat talks about this, good fic, it says that Grogar believed that getting away from Harmony will help ponies advance instead of stagnating. Like how a chef will lose his ability to cook without the mark even though he has done it a million times.

5639615 To make this group active more, all I can suggest is to make clear that everyone's opinion is welcome and no one should be allowed to flame, bash, and attack people for their opinions. From what I've been through on this site, it seems to happen quite frequently.

Ancient Scholar
Group Admin

Not here. I welcome anyone's opinion. Discussion is what leads to greater understanding.

I just wish some of the members would join in. Only a handful of people even comment let alone make there own thread. Seems like you get one active member for every 100.

5639688 I'm not entirely active myself.

calinjc
Group Contributor

5589843 UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE CENTURY!!!!!!!!!

• Viewing 51 - 100 of 63