The Idea Exchange 266 members · 37 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11
Estee
Group Admin

1. If you want to post a story idea, place it in the appropriate category. I've put the initial divisions up to mirror FIMFic's story ratings system: Everyone, Teen, and Mature. More may be added if necessary, but I'm guessing that should be enough.
1a. Do not go into the Mature thread unless you are at or above the legal age of consent in your home nation and want to risk being exposed to that kind of material. You have been warned.

2. Be detailed in your concepts. 'Pony catches on fire' is an idea, but there really isn't a lot to work with. Give out some possible reasons for why. Who. Where. How everypony else responds to it. Recommend characters, story tags to be used, set pieces you might have thought of -- the works. You don't have to build the whole road for the next traveler, but you'd better blaze the trail.

3. If you claim an idea, say so in public, on the appropriate thread. It'll prevent six people from tackling the same concept, at least for those cases where the writers don't want to try acting as a group.

4. You don't have to post an idea in order to take one, but it helps. You can always come back later if you come up with something you don't want to use.

5. The only stories which should be placed into the folder are those which were generated from ideas found here.

6. Back-and-forth discussions between the originator of an idea and the person working with it? Just fine. But if it gets really active, take it to either private message or its own thread.

7. Ideas cannot be 'taken back' if someone's already claimed them: you can't tell someone to stop work on your story. However, if an idea you posted hasn't had any takers and you decide to try working with it after all, you can edit to say 'Reclaimed' and leave it at that. But if anyone's decided to attempt it and openly said so? Too late.

8. If you complete a story based on an idea found here, it would be nice if you mentioned the concept's creator in your long story description. And a note about the group would be welcome too.

9+: Will be discovered and added as we go along.

Y'know. Presuming we get a 'we'.

3332693 You should sticky it, so it's the first forum they see.

Estee
Group Admin

Good point: done.

3332712 no prob, just helping some out that just made his first group.

I think each story idea should have its own thread. If the group ever grows bigger than about a dozen members, each of the three threads will become overflowed with numerous criss-crossing ideas, and people wanting to discuss one of those ideas in particular will have a hard time.

Maybe Everyone, Teen and Mature should be categories rather than threads? Is this even possible? Or maybe I completely misunderstand fimfiction’s forum system.

Estee
Group Admin

If the group somehow goes very active, though, one thread per story would become a crowd in a hurry. (Unlikely, but...) Maybe one thread per major story tag: Slice Of Life, Adventure, etc?

Very much a work in progress here.

A couple of questions:

First, I have a few ideas I'd like to throw out for any takers - I assume I should give each one its own post, right? Keep things easier to follow, that way.

Also, I've posted several of my orphaned ideas either in my blog or in another group. Reposting won't get me shunned, will it?

Estee
Group Admin

One story concept per post sounds fine.

I don't think reposting an idea here would lead to trouble unless someone had claimed that idea from that other location. You may want to make sure no one's working on anything you're thinking about transferring here before bringing it in.

3332693 What if we take an idea but then decide it's too much for us?

Estee
Group Admin

Put up a post about it and let it be up for grabs again. It might also help the next author to detail how far you got and what happened -- or just let you find a way past the block.

So...just a question:
If we have some ideas but are horrible at actualy writing, can we post them?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11