The Mailbox: Reloaded 86 members · 1 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4
bookplayer
Group Admin

Dear Rarity,

How’s Ponyville? Has anypony started planning for the Harvest Festival yet? I know it’s four months away, but ponies got to build floats, and the parade order has to be worked out… maybe you should mention that to the mayor. I know she usually calls a meeting in time, but just in case. And has anypony seen to that patch of rocks in the road on the way to the school house? I know school’s out right now, but somepony ought to take some dirt over there and smooth it out. I just know some foal is gonna trip and skin their knee.

Also, tell the weather ponies to make sure to give everypony a weeks notice before a big storm, I don’t want nopony forgetting to get the trees pruned. Actually, don’t worry about that, just tell them to write to me and I’ll make sure to write to everypony in town, to remind them. Maybe I’ll write the weather factory, and see if they’ll slip me the weather schedule. Actually, that would be best, then I could write before rainy days and make sure Mac don’t let Apple Bloom out without her galoshes.

Speaking of Apple Bloom, I don’t reckon Mac’s going to remember to get her school supplies for next fall. I suppose I’ll write to Cheerilee and see what she’s going to need, then I’ll order them for her. And I’ll order them for Sweetie too. It ain’t too much trouble. I wonder if they’d give me a discount if I order for the whole class? I’ll write to the mayor and see if she wants to organize some kind of request and send it along to me.

Anyhow, thanks for helping me keep up on things. You know I got to, if the whole dang town ain’t going to fall apart. Good thing that even laid up, I’m up to the job.

Now that’s out of the way, how’ve you been? I hope you’ve been getting lots of stuff done, with all of us gone. I bet you’ve been working your tail off. That’s a real good feeling, ain’t it? Knowing you have something to do, then doing it and seeing a job well done. I bet you’re liking that. I bet you wake up every day with a bunch of stuff to do. Sometimes it probably seems like you’ll never get it done, but you just hunker down and do your best.

Okay, you probably don’t hunker much, it sounds like it'd get dresses all wrinkled. But you get my point. And that sounds like a real nice summer you got there, let me tell you.

Anyhow, if you think of anything that needs doing that I can help out with from here, just let me know. Or if anypony tells you anything I can help out with. Or if you know of anypony who told somepony something I can help out with. Or if you wanted to put up some kinda sign letting ponies know it. Y’all know I’m never too busy to help ponies.

Stay in touch.

Your friend,
Applejack.

PS: You know, I don’t think Ponyville’s ever had an earthquake, but that don’t mean it can’t happen, right? I’ll write up instructions on what to do in case that happens. I ain’t rightly sure what that is, being as we never had one, but I’m sure the library here must have something about that, and that’s pretty much the only place Twilight’s giving me permission to go. So I’ll send those along as soon as I can, and I just hope they get there in time. A pony’s work ain’t ever done, is it?

TheLastBrunnenG
Group Admin

Dear Applejack,

Oh, Applejack.

I knew - suspected to the point of surety, really, but a Lady doesn’t quibble so - I knew it was bad, but I had no idea your injury would find you in such straits. I see now why Twilight sent you to Canterlot. She may be new to the crown but this proves her wisdom every bit as much as opening some pretty little box.

I'd send you a fifth of Stalliongrad's finest, or perhaps a few bottles of Sweet Apple Acres Private Reserve, but the former may start you down a hoofpath you're better off not traveling and the latter may make your longing all the worse. Not that the minders Twilight left watching you would allow such luxuries, of course. Haven't noticed her spies, hm? Don’t think for a moment that she'd leave you unattended. She knows you quite well, better than the rest of us (in ways a mare of manners does not discuss openly), and she's as eager as the rest of us to see you rest and recuperate, neither of which involves your saving Ponyville from itself.

Let me leave you with a suggestion, Applejack, and you are of course free to cast it to the winds. Write the girls, if you need, but beyond that, pen exactly one more letter. Use it to ask your dear Granny Smith how many crises Ponyville endured before you arrived to smooth its every rockpile and schedule its every raincloud. The elder darling has your gift of honesty, with the flair of bluntness only those whose winters are dwindling can apply. Let her tell you what goes on without you, when you're charging into Froggy Bottom Bog or across the frozen Crystal Empire tundra or through the very gates of Tartarus. I daresay the view from her front porch rocker reaches a good deal farther than your precious East Orchard.

As for myself, in fact I have utterly nothing to do. Sweetie is spoken for this summer, the rest of you are scattered across Equestria, and Ponyville needs neither saving nor a new line of Fall outerwear. I do sympathize with you; there's no feeling quite like seeing a project from inspiration to completion, especially when it's for a cause more worthy than ourselves. I'm stir crazy and restless, and - forgive me if I borrow your gift of directness for a moment - I am, unlike your poor self, in a position to change my surroundings. I fear I may need to do so rather soon or I may end up puttering about like some crazymare, ranting about earthquakes yet to happen or parades Twilight herself planned in excruciating detail months ago.

Do try to relax, will you, darling? You will do Ponyville, your family, and all of us far more good returning in good health and good spirits than you will as a half-healed nervous wreck. I shall miss you, dear, from where ever I may be when next I write.

Yours,

Rarity

TheLastBrunnenG
Group Admin

[Letter arrives on the back of a postcard, the front of which is a photo of a grand and colorful feast spread out over a long table.]

Dear Applejack,

I trust this note finds you well. You have managed to relax a bit and enjoy being pampered by Canterlot’s finest, I hope? I realize you were a bit stir crazy when last you wrote – I can sympathize, darling, really – but you’ve worked hard all your life and a little relaxation certainly won’t dull your earthy instincts. Maybe visit the Royal Gardens, get some soil under your hooves? Been a month, haven’t heard a word from you. Don’t hesitate to write; mail couriers from the cruise line are superb. Oh, I didn’t tell you, did I, dear? I booked a cruise! Touring the Mediterrhaynean coast as we speak. A little work, a little pleasure, and exactly what I needed. You should see the food here, darling! Every dish an explosion of color, and oh, the spices! Wish I could send samples to you; perhaps I’ll pick up a cookbook instead. Rest and recuperate. Miss you, darling.

Yours,
Rarity

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4