The Military Handbook 141 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12

In my personal exeprience reading fics involving military on this site, I have found major factual issues pertaining specifically to Russia. I am posting this here in the hope that it might help to quell some of these. If you would like to participate, leave a misconception(and its rectification) here, for others to see. I'll begin. Not all Russian officers are vodka-addicted 8-foot-tall ownage machines, and it is no longer the "Red Army", but rather the Russian Ground Forces. Thanks to all who post for attempting to stop the spread of misinformation.

Depends on what timeframe. It's WW2 for the Red Army, Soviet Army for the Cold War, and Russian Ground Forces for present day.

Also, none seem to mention the apparently heavy corruption that seems to be a major issue.

4241570 Yes, I should've cleared that up. For The Soviet Union in WW2 , (which is not just Russia, by the way), it would be the Red Army.

Soviet Union is also not strictly Russian.

4241600 Hence the parentheses, but yes.

Not all AKs are AK47s

4241643 On a related note, not all Russian guns are AKs.

Russia does not use the NATO phonetic alphabet, nor any of their codenames for equipment like the Hind. This should go without saying, but I've seen it far too often; even from actual published authors...

Sometimes a little inaccuracy is ok if it helps your readers understand what you mean.

Eeyup,

The Vdnk, Ppsh, ddsk.....

To be fair, the Spetsnaz is still scary.

4242982 That reminds me, nobody seems to bother with the many different groups of Spetsnaz. These are all very important as many groups have different purposes.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12