The Literary Value Group 49 members · 118 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
redoran77
Group Admin

Composite Score: 95

Congratulations to SPark for making it into the archive!

Main reason for score: The incredibly unique idea and plot execution

First and Last was and incredible story that was written with an insane amount of imagery. It was serious and dark, giving no mercy to any of it's characters. The story had many good things about it, but it had its fair share of bad things too. If not for grammar and some dialogue catches, this would have easily made a 125 or above.

Let me begin with my background in dark stories. They are among my favorite type to read and write, hence my Pandemic story. Not to say that mine is of value as I would not rate my own story, I'm just using it as an example to give me credit in what I say next. First and Last was written well on top of a gold mine of an idea. I know of very few stories in which Twilight is the villain, and, in this case, a madmare out to destroy Equestria. Once I considered the idea though, it was entirely plausible and realistic. With how much Twilight seems to change under stress, how far of a jump would it be for her to go insane over the stress of being a god?

The story really piqued my interest in this manner, making me read faster and faster to find out what happened next. Stories don't always let you do this, sometimes, if the plot has bad execution, you end up having to slow down or reread things to completely understand it. This also happens when authors write at inconsistent rates, peppering battle text with descriptions of brooding heroes or other random things that are not so fast paced. This story easily received an A+ in plot execution.

Not all of it was good though. There were some grammar mistakes, mostly unneeded or poorly chosen words but it was noticeable. Also, Twilight's character was not entirely compelling and I didn't buy it completely. She seemed to be angry over something simple a proposal about something or another. I know Twilight overreacts but this is a bit ridiculous. Her character seemed to be trying to destroy Equestria just because of a disagreement. Most of the fatality to the characters ability to compel the reader laid in her dialogue, which was dry and rather useless.

Even with this considered, the story easily wins a spot in the archive.

Congratulations again to SPike. Feel free to post any questions or concerns about the review. If I did not touch on something here and you want me to explain my thoughts on it, don't hesitate to ask.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1