Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Crack-Fic Casey
Group Admin

My job search goes decently well: I have two separate jobs I feel really good about getting. I am worried that I'll need to move back home temporarily which I find troubling. On a more uplifting note: The More Things Change is almost done! I just have one more chapter and an epilogue to go.

Last week, I posted an old, unused blog post to get under the deadline, so this week I’ll posting one that wasn’t written over the course of an hour with next-to-no proofreading.

In one of my old devotional books, there’s this personality quiz that helps show you what kinds of things you’re good at and where you may have struggles. Well I didn’t find it especially useful to me personally, something did catch my attention as an aspiring writer: How flexible this system truly was.

Let’s pick on our ponies, say Pinkie Pie, and decide which one she is.

ENTHUSIAST
Strengths: High capacity for joy and emotional expression. Enthusiasm that can be contagious.

That sounds about right, doesn’t it? After all, Pinkie is basically synonymous with enthusiasm. But it’s not perfect. Consider the downside:

Weaknesses: Needs to be the center of attention, Needs to avoid pain, which can lead to escape or addiction.

That’s not necessarily true; Pinkie doesn’t usually avoid painful or awkward topics. At the very least, it's not her biggest weakness. Let’s try again.

ARTIST
Weaknesses: Finds the need to be yourself and stand out can become an end in of itself. Can be tempted to give in to impulses and lead an undisciplined life.

Pinkie does stand out in a crowd, but more importantly she’s prone to distraction and incredibly impulsive. But it’s strengths?

Strengths: Loves beauty and goodness. Brings imagination to love, life, and faith.

That doesn’t sound like Pinkie Pie at all; that’s Rarity! So let's think about Rarity. Does this fit her? Yes, but it's not the only one.

REFORMER
Strengths : Internal standard of what’s good, noble, and beautiful. Calls others to lead better lives.
Weaknesses: Can be prideful. Holds high standards that can lead to a secret, inner sense of inadequacy.

When I looked at that one, I thought it was a bit of a stretch. After all, Rarity projects confidence in every aspect of her life. But the Devil’s advocate in me wants to see that play out. Rarity is prideful, but what if she was also insecure? After all, creating works of art takes a lot of time and effort, and it can be hard to avoid taking rejection of such a project personally.

So none of these are perfect matches, but they create interesting ideas. After all, there are plenty of stories the play Pinkie as the Sad Clown, and emphasizing her love of life over her zany antics make her more mature. So in the right hands, they can both be used to create something very compelling

Let’s look at all nine, shall we?

SERVER:
Strengths: Lives out love in action. Has a natural other-centeredness that makes people feel cared for.
Weaknesses: Can use giving to manipulate others. Sometimes mistakes servanthood with low self-esteem.

PEACEMAKER
Strengths: Natural ability to listen well and give wise counsel. Easy-going, low-maintenance relational style.
Weaknesses: Tends to smooth things over and avoid conflict. Is passive.

Both interesting choices for Fluttershy. The first would make her more active, and put her more in the spotlight. That doesn’t fit perfectly, but it’s something we haven't seen before. The other is makes more sense, but by extension there is very little that can be done that hasn't been done already Flutterspy, for instance, uses the first version of Fluttershy.

COMMANDER
Strengths: Passion for justice and desire to champion great causes. Charisma to inspire others.
Weaknesses: Need for power causes others to feel used.

LOYALIST
Strengths: Faithful and dependable when the chips are down. Loves to be a part of a great team.
Weaknesses: Prone to skepticism or cynicism. When threatened can be pushed into isolation by fear.

The first can show a more self-sufficient Rainbow Dash, one that maybe made it to the big time and is adored by all. The other could be an older, gruff Rainbow Dash, using sarcasm to cover worries that maybe she’s not the best.

ACHIEVER
Strengths: Strong desire to grow. Ability to accomplish and add value to the lives and world around them.
Weaknesses: Temptation to be preoccupied with one’s own success, Sometimes uses other people to receive applause or approval.

THINKER
Strengths: A discoverer, inventor, and lover of logic. A passion for truth- even when it’s costly.
Weaknesses: Conviction of being right can lead to arrogance. Can be tempted to withdraw from relationships and love.

Honestly, both of these could be taken as cannon. The first is Princess Twilight Sparkle, savior of Equestria, and the second is Twilight Sparkle, Celestia’s most faithful student.

My point is that as we look at our stories, always be open to new things. Even if something doesn’t perfectly align to your head-cannon at first, there can still be something new and wonderful to discover.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1