A Game of Thrones Fans 118 members · 19 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4
Rubyfire377
Group Admin

I got to ask this is a very simple thread on why we hate Joffery I mean he is a good villain he kill Ned, he beats up a character I honestly don't care for but why is it I what to rip his heart out and eat it but yet we love villains like Joker and Loki, is it because Joffery is a royal bi**ch or is he a coward, or is he bully ( heck almost all the villains are bullies), this is a thing I wish to talk about

There are a lot of factors that go into making Joffrey as hated as he is.

1.) He's a product of incest. While this isn't his fault, it immediately causes people to form opinions about him due to the (not entirely untrue) stereotype that people born of incest are predisposed toward violence and mental instability.

2.) He has, literally, only ONE moment in the entire show (I haven't read the books) when he demonstrates anything close to genuine decency, when he says his final words to his dying father (I mean Robert, not Jamie).

3.) He's an obvious coward. He has no stomach for battle and has a much lower threshold for taking pain than he has for giving it, and will use any excuse to avoid putting himself in dangerous situations.

4.) There's no rhyme or reason to his sadism. He hurts people for no other reason than because he wants to.

5.) He doesn't have much of a personality beyond being a sadistic creep, making him rather bland and uncharismatic.

6.) The actor who plays him, Jack Gleeson, just has one of those faces that you can't help but want to punch, much like "Harry Potter" actor Tom Felton.

I think looking at other characters and our reactions to them might be helpful. For example, Ramsay is a similar kind of asshole, but why isn't he hated that much? 2wingo said it under point 3: Joffrey has a much lower threshold for taking pain than he has for giving it. This is not or at least not obviously the case with Ramsay. He does fight. He does take hits and even laughs about it. Admittedly, he probably wouldn't be able to keep his cool if he got skinned himself, but we don't see that, and otherwise, we see that he is able to deal with pain at least to a certain degree. Joffrey, on the other hand, begins to cry as soon as he gets a little well-deserved slap from his uncle. I think that this and his stupidity are the two decisive factors.

This is pretty easy and everyone is correct. He is a complete coward, he's selfish, narcissistic, needlessly sadistic, a total sociopath and really has no redeeming qualities what so ever. I've both seen the show and read the series. There is maybe one time where he shows even a smidgeon of compassion or decency but the next moment he goes back to being a complete and utter douche.
I think he is so hated because he is in a position of power and has those qualities. Everyone has a notion of how people with power (especially the head of a whole nation) should be and most people don't see or want a tyrant running their country. If Geoff was a nobody he would be disregarded as nothing more than a bother, or more like a rabid animal that should be put down. Because he has power and abuses it to the extreme he is more hated.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4