Among the Infected (Resident Evil Group) 233 members · 27 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3
Dancewithknives
Group Admin

So
Although this is old news now, I recently purchased RE5 HD for my xbox 1, and have been playing it religiously. Although most of the game is unchanged (there could be a forum made on changes) one thing that I think they dropped the ball on is "The Mercenaries United".

ICYDK, In vanilla RE5 and Gold, there were 2 seperate versions of mercs, 1 with the characters that shipped in game (every chris and sheva costume, Jill, Wesker) which was its own mode, and later there was Mercenaries Reunion, which was exclusively the DLC costumes as well as Barry, Rebecca, Josh and Excella, in this mode, there were changes made to make it more difficult and different from before due to the new characters having more powerful weapons.(IE, time spots were changed, chickens were changed, certain levels had different or more majini and las plagas, like Big Men in Public Assembly.)

Now, the game ships with 1 mercs mode, "Mercenaries United", allowing people to chose from all characters and play together.

So why is this bad?

In my opinion, I Dislike this because I enjoyed the layouts of maps in vanilla Mercs,(time spots enemies) as well as the fact that the mode is unbalanced now.

Ive only just started, but since the Reunion maps are being used, I think that the old characters are almost obsolete and incredibly underpowered in comparison to their Reunion counterparts. Its going to make it much more challenging which could be a good thing but I don't like it.

How do the rest of you feel? Should there be a patch or an option to use the traditional layout? Its in game since in my limited time playing No Mercy I recall most of the map being the same as vanilla mercs.

5363949 I was planning to get it because i absolutely loved the Mercenaries back in 360
Playing Chris with his STARS costume or Wesker with Midnight costume
but seeing as it is a whole with the DLC mercenaries...hmm:applejackunsure:
On one hand, i share your opinion about what's the point of it ?
when you get Chris with an assault rifle and a grenade launcher on one side and the other with the minigun and the Hydra shotgun
It feels like a waste of the original characters, To me my favorite teaming up will always be Chris and Wesker with their STARS costume on the prison map, and Wesker STARS was already a bit OP.

On the other hand, they wanted to do something new, i mean what would have been the point to make the Mercenaries exactly the same than before, so peoples can just select the first map and get a SS on their first game, because they already know where every locations for everything ?
Peoples would have played it for a few days then stop, now with a new mercenary mode, may be it would force peoples to play more on the maps, to discover the locations, and get those good old feelings of running everywhere to find a new time spot quickly because you're getting very low on time with the boss running after you at the same time.
So can't really blame them for trying something new, now was the whole thing a good idea ?
i guess all we need to do is check the new most popular character teaming-ups

Dancewithknives
Group Admin

5364006 although I hate thus arguement, I wish that for nostalgia's sake they could have added in an option or patch to play it the vanilla mercs so i could play as the old characters without being not very useful.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3