Denizens of Amala 40 members · 37 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3
G-man64
Group Admin

Alright so I've been thinking of an idea for what Atlus should do for a SMT game. So you know how recently we got the remake of Soul Hackers? Well what if instead of a game set in a time when everything's incorporated into the internet we had one one set at the dawn of the internet?

Imagine it a game set in the 1980's. Let me set the scene for you all.

A new age of information is dawning. The various nets of the world have combine into one and the world can communicate like never before. A cult plans on using this as a means to revive their master. By using the power of the internet, and their newly created virus, "Melissa." (basically the same thing Naoya did to make his summoning program in Devil Survivor harness the emotions people have online as fuel for the ritual)

We then see our hero a young hacker. Through no fault of his own (basically doing the same thing the kid in WarGames was) he stumbles upon the cults site in the Deep Net. When he does this he inadvertently downloads Melissa who will act as out guide (much like Nemissa or Burroughs).

Throughout the game our hero learns how to enter the internet and face the demons in there as well as those that have found their way into our world.

Now then for the actual mechanics. Since this is the dawn of the information age we don't have wireless internet so all his demons stored online need to be accessed from a physical point. So no reserve demons only the party you choose from when you're at an access point. The COMP in this incarnation I see as a device similar to the Game Com style PDA a device that can connect to a wall jack allowing him to again only switch demons when at an actual access point.

Now then for some major demons in it. As I already said Melissa. is our guide.

I see the Jack Bros. running the shops (well three specific ones you'll find them normally also) Frost for items, Pyro for armor, and Ripper for weapons.

Cerberus will act as an early boss protecting a fire wall on the web.

Alice will be part of a side quest you need to do to unlock her (what can I say favorite recurring demon, DIE FOR ME!") involving I don't know finding pirated copies of the book online.

Hell Biker don't care how it needs to happen.

Naturally the Cathedral is a website where the data codes of your demons can be combined into new ones, and the compendium is a website called Demazon.

In the end your three choices are.
Chaotic: Help the cult (or corporation works either way) take control of the internet. Doing this leads to a future where basically the whole of the internet is the Deep Net. Those who use it are declared criminals.
Neutral: The Internets saved and basically becomes what it is today. Though since this is a SMT game there's also those sites where you can buy demons, sell, trade, and fuse (in the Deep Net).
Lawful: Remember SOPA? There you go! The whole of the Deep Net is eliminated and a higher being (or the government works either way) has control.

So what do you guys think if Atlus made this would you play it?

Well I would play it, but I play everything with the Shin Megami Tensei label, so I may not be the best barometer.

G-man64
Group Admin

I hear that. Only one I haven't been a big fan of so far was Demi-Kids. It's alright (I'm still glad I picked it up as a game not just as a collectible) but something's just off. I know it's supposed to be simpler but it's to simple for a SMT game and not simple enough for a simple RPG (like say Pokemon (not that I'm complaining about simple RPG's I love Pokemon)). It's just caught in this middle ground not quite knowing who it's target audience is. It was meant for kids but its to complicated for them. But on the other hand it's not complicated enough for hardcore RPG players. Although I do need to say the designs are adorable.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3